scoring help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
She was right about it being a hit. Not about being a nice hit.

Do you use the same scoring guidlines when your DD team is playing defense? Would you charge your pitcher with a hit or your outfielder with an error in this scenario? If we feel an outfield should have made the play, we charge them with an error. Otherwise you could have 'Timmy Lupus' (Bad News Bears reference) out there, with a 1.000 fielding percentage because he never touched a ball!

Jul 28, 2008
Here's a cool little flow chart.

scorekeeping_error_decision_tree.jpg

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Cool flowchart shockcoach.

I love when a girl asks if she got a "hit". I've done this little move so much, I'd bet they want to break my hand sometimes. Sure do enjoy aggravating them.
dHpQc.gif

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Do you use the same scoring guidlines when your DD team is playing defense? Would you charge your pitcher with a hit or your outfielder with an error in this scenario? If we feel an outfield should have made the play, we charge them with an error. Otherwise you could have 'Timmy Lupus' (Bad News Bears reference) out there, with a 1.000 fielding percentage because he never touched a ball!

It is what it is. And I think anyone that's been around the game long enough, such as yourself, doesn't need to look at a fielder's fielding percentage to determine if they are a good fielder or not. Just another instance where statistics don't tell the whole story.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Statistics don't tell the whole story, but they tell enough of a story for a coach to make decisions based on the percentage of times a particular thing happens.

The trick to keeping usable statistics for a coach in youth sports is being consistent. If the book keeper is consistent, the stats tell the same story weather he/she is tough or soft.

My $.02

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It is what it is. And I think anyone that's been around the game long enough, such as yourself, doesn't need to look at a fielder's fielding percentage to determine if they are a good fielder or not. Just another instance where statistics don't tell the whole story.

As a coaching staff we understand that statistics don't tell the whole story, but a lot of recruiters use statistics as a first impression. One of our kids who is a legit .300 hitter will seem inferior to a .500 hitter with a 'Paula Abdul' scorer......LOL

Mar 13, 2010
Whether it's a foul ball is irrelevant. It's whether an out could have been made. If you drop a fly ball or popup in foul territory, it is definitely an error.

Not necessarily. If first base muffs a fly on the second strike and the next pitch the batter is struck out what harm has been done? If however first base muffs a fly and then a runner gets on I would error first.

Nov 29, 2009
Not necessarily. If first base muffs a fly on the second strike and the next pitch the batter is struck out what harm has been done? If however first base muffs a fly and then a runner gets on I would error first.

It absolutely makes a difference. The batter would have been retired irregardless of the pitch count or number of outs if the ball would have been caught. The dropping of the ball extended the hitters at bat. Therefore it's an error.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Here's a cool little flow chart.

scorekeeping_error_decision_tree.jpg

This flow chart isn't consistent w/ major league baseball's definition of an error, fwiw.

MLB rules: ‘’It is not necessary that the fielder touch the ball to be charged with an error.''

MLB rules: ''The official scorer shall not score mental mistakes or misjudgments as errors.’’

That said, the point of keeping a book for a travel ball team is to compile stats that quantify performance for that particular team. You're not turning them into a league that requires consistency in defining an error. Therefore, score in a way that serves your team best. But if we're using MLB definitions (and what I assume are NCAA definitions), then whether the fielder touches the ball w/ glove is not pertinent, and failing to pay attention is not an error as defined by MLB.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild