Scoring question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I've literally seen this scored as if the batter was intending to bunt for a hit 3 or 4 times over the last year. So what do we do now? We have a standoff!
Scored by whom? Random parents on GameChanger?

In this situation (the key is no outs), you're not going to see it scored this way by a scorer who knows what they're doing. But, as we've all seen here, a lot of people (the overwhelming majority of those who score games below the professional level) don't really do the job well.

Aug 6, 2013
High school head coach
If the HS HC was giving the bunt signal because he thought his batter could bunt and be safe and the batter got out it is still not right to score that as anything but a sac. Because that is what it is. I mean - if the runner was at 3rd with less than 2 outs and the next batter hits a fly ball deep enough to score that girl on 3rd it is a sac fly all day long. It doesn't change if that batter has the best batting average on the team and should have had a hit. It doesn't change if that batter was actually trying to get a hit but hit the fly ball for an out. It's still a sac.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
slappers drag bunt for hits ALL of the time with runners on. I know that the coaches in our org absolutely hate it when batter bunt it foul because they're all happy feet running out of the box. They are instructed to stay in the box until the ball is fair, no leaving early and bumping into the ball like OSU did.

SAC bunts look like sacrifices, so what did the bunt look like?

Jul 13, 2014
Nashville, TN
Thank you all. Of course, I knew what the right answer was all along.....

I get frustrated with the parent scorers who don't know the scoring rules, and will dismiss you when you try to point out the errors. The "24 hour rule" doesn't work with scoring; it's the sort of thing you need to correct straight away. It's no wonder college coaches don't trust the stats; problem is when the coach uses the stats to evaluate lineups...

Jul 19, 2021
Thank you all. Of course, I knew what the right answer was all along.....

I get frustrated with the parent scorers who don't know the scoring rules, and will dismiss you when you try to point out the errors. The "24 hour rule" doesn't work with scoring; it's the sort of thing you need to correct straight away. It's no wonder college coaches don't trust the stats; problem is when the coach uses the stats to evaluate lineups...
It's just 1 at bat. Don't let it cause this much heartburn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00