School forfeits title game — other team has girl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Thought yall might find this interesting....

School forfeits title game ? other team has girl

Having never fielded a baseball team before this season, Mesa Preparatory Academy was thrilled with an undefeated season that had them in position to play for the Arizona Charter Athletic Association's 1A state championship at Phoenix College Thursday night.

They had gone undefeated in the regular season and done so with just 11 players. The feel-good story turned a bit sour this week, though, when their championship opponent forfeited the title game because Mesa Prep's starting second baseman is a 15-year-old female, Paige Sultzbach.

Our Lady of Sorrows Academy, a fundamentalist Catholic school in Phoenix, declined to play Mesa Prep because of a strict parish policy prohibiting participation in co-ed sports. The school is affiliated with the U.S. branch of the Society of Saint Pius X, a group of conservative priests who broke away from the Catholic Church in the 1980s over church reforms.

In a statement to FOX News, an Our Lady of Sorrows official said the school had no choice but to forfeit: "Teaching our boys to treat ladies with deference, we choose not to place them in an athletic competition where proper boundaries can only be respected with difficulty,” the statement said. "Our school aims to instill in our boys a profound respect for women and girls."

Sultzbach joined the baseball team because the school does not field a softball team. Under ACAA rules, co-ed sports are allowed if an equivalent for both sexes is not offered.

The championship game was not the first time this issue had occurred between the two schools.

According to ACAA executive director Randy Baum, Our Lady of Sorrows athletic director Gerry Violette was proactive before the season in informing other coaches that his school's teams could not participate in co-ed competition.

Sultzbach was added to the Mesa Prep roster later, and Violette did not know about the change until the two teams met on March 22. Our Lady of Sorrows, Baum says, was prepared to forfeit the game but saw that Mesa Prep had just nine players. When told another player was on the way, Violette offered to play the game if Sultzbach was on the bench.

Rules stipulate a game must begin with nine players on each side, so Sultzbach started in the game. It's unclear if she left the game before the first official pitch, or if she played an inning before taking to the bench. (Violette did not respond to requests for comment.)

The teams met again in late April, but this time Sultzbach agreed to sit out before the game began. Mesa Prep won both games. When it came to the championship, however, Mesa Prep was unwilling to let Sultzbach sit.

"I think the championship game was something she had earned the right to play," Mesa Prep athletic director Amy Arnold said. "The (Mesa Prep) players are all very supportive of Paige. They consider her very much a part of the team, and they want her to play."

Sultzbach and her family did not respond to requests for comment, but Sultzbach's mother, Pamela, told the Arizona Republic: "This is not a contact sport, it shouldn't be an issue. It wasn't that they were afraid they were going to hurt or injure her, it's that (they believe) that a girl's place is not on a field."

Violette and Arnold discussed ideas for how they might play the game, but Baum told Violette they could not put any restrictions on Sultzbach's participation. Violette conferred with administrators at Our Lady of Sorrows but they were unwilling to make an exception to their policy.

"We respect the stance of Our Lady of Sorrows Academy," Arnold said. "They are obviously taking a moral stance on their beliefs, and we have to respect that. It's a sad situation that the championship game cannot be played. No one wants to win or lose a championship by forfeit."

Baum believes both sides could have taken steps to head off the problem before it reached the championship game.

"It's definitely upsetting that this happened," Baum said. "There were probably a lot of protocols and things that could have been done proactively to avoid this situation for both schools."

Baum believes if Mesa Prep had made clear its stance on Sultzbach's participation prior to the tournament, Our Lady of Sorrows might have bowed out before it began and another team could have qualified for the championship. The school had done so before a flag football tournament in October, knowing that some teams had female players.

"I would have told (Our Lady of Sorrows) right away that Paige is a student and she is allowed to play," Baum said. "We want every kid to get the opportunity to compete. That's what our league is about."

Arnold said Mesa Prep isn't interested in making Our Lady of Sorrows change its mind on the policy.

"It's just unfortunate," Arnold said. "I would like to see the game played because that's where championships are won — on the field, the court, the track or wherever it may be."

Added Baum: "I feel bad for the 23 or 24 kids that are not going to be out there tonight getting ready to play in a state baseball game."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I suppose that parents send their kids to Our Lady of Sorrows, for a reason. It is their choice to decide to play or not. (Perhaps all of their opponents, should put a female on their team.) :)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The Team that forfeited confirmed that there were no female players on the other Teams before they joined the league. The female player joined the other Team after the League started.

Though I do not agree with the Team that forfeited they were placed into a bad situation that they tried to avoid and was forced on them.

Apr 26, 2012
The girl wanted to be in that situation and apparently she was a decent player. If she wants to play, treat her like another guy. Its not like football or basketball where there would be a physical advantage for the boys. Sure they are stronger, which means they can hit/throw harder but that is her disadvantage. I don't understand why you would take away a chance to win state over this. My high school team came in 2nd in the state. We would have been furious if we weren't allowed to play the championship game over something like this.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I can see the religious objections in wrestling, where there is close physical contact. But baseball? You get more physical contact on a high five than in most plays. My guess is the school is ultra-conservative in its approach -- as in boys sit on one side of the cafeteria, girls on the other. Or a woman's place is in the home. But I don't know that for a fact.

Everyone has a right to believe what they choose to believe, but it sure seems like a shame to deny both sides the opportunity to play.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that "fundamentalist" is the key word here. I guess if a family knows this and belongs to the church, to each their own.

May 25, 2010
"Our school aims to instill in our boys a profound respect for women and girls."

^^Lie much?

On the bright side, they were going to lose anyway, so they saved everyone the time and cost of making the trip, let alone saving those poor little boys* the humiliation of *gasp* losing to a girl.

On a team of 9.

Playing 2nd base. :rolleyes:

If you wish to instill a 'profound respect for women and girls', get out on the field and give them 100% in fair competition.

*(little boys = the school administrators and/or coaches who rendered this decision)

Jul 26, 2010
You can have equality, or you can have segregation, you can't have both. I'm sure somewhere there is a school that won't play because their muse has decided Zeus is angry at them that day. Some things never change.

-W

Jul 6, 2011
My son’s rec football team had a girl on it this year. You want to talk about uncomfortable – you should have seen the boys who got paired up with her in tackling drills. My son would put a shoulder pad on her, but he refused to wrap up (put his arms around her), and no amount of coaxing/yelling/punishment would make him. He just wouldn’t do it. When she did get tackled, she would scream and freak out. She couldn’t handle being on the ground with a boy on top of her. She hated contact in general. It put everyone in a weird situation – her, the boys, the coaches. No one wanted to say anything for fear of being the next news story. We just tried to work around it the best we could. She eventually toughened up and started getting with the program a little bit, and the boys eventually got used to her, so maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing.

The year before, there was a different girl on the team. She talked so much trash the boys couldn’t wait to hit her. She backed it up too. She was a tough kid and didn’t seem to be afraid of anything.

I’m not sure what’s going on but (around here at least) there are a lot of girls getting into boys sports. A few years ago our high school had a female wrestler on the team. She made it all the way to regionals. And yeah, she made a lot of boys very uncomfortable along the way. But they learned pretty quickly not to take it easy on her. My nephew was on the team with her and said she was the real deal, super quick, with great technique, and tough as nails. She won most of her matches during the season. As a guy, I can’t imagine what it must have been like for the boys she beat…ouch.

I’m not endorsing this (girls and boys playing contact sports together). I think it creates some very awkward situations, that I personally would not have needed to be dealing with when I was going through puberty and all the physical/hormonal/emotional upheaval that entails. But it is getting more common.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
On the bright side, they were going to lose anyway, so they saved everyone the time and cost of making the trip, let alone saving those poor little boys* the humiliation of *gasp* losing to a girl.

*(little boys = the school administrators and/or coaches who rendered this decision)

I realize that no one here (including me) is going to agree with this school's position that co-ed sports are inappropriate. But I don't see the point of ridiculing the school, either. I don't think the decision has anything to do with the fear that boys might lose to girls, or that boys are superior.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06