School forfeits title game — other team has girl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Someone should consider whether they should even be allowed in the league if they object to the rules.

Hopefully, some dimwit won't consider banning girls from playing.

I didn't like them sitting the girl out in any of the games if the sole reason was to pacify Lady of Sorrows.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
This topic hits home on many levels. I used to coach wrestling at a Catholic high school. The Philadelphia Catholic League (PCL) also prohibits girls from participating in “Boy” sports. Luckily, this rarely impacted our wrestlers. Conceivability, a public school team could field a team with 8 girls on it and beat any team that was in our league. When the PCL joined PA Interscholastic Athletic Association, everyone thought that there was going to be ramifications for not allowing females to participate in a school sport. As of yet, this has not been a problem. Every coach from the league has no problem with one of their wrestlers wrestling a girl. We had to follow administrative guidelines and were told point blank that you would be fired if you did not follow the PCL policy.
Having coached wrestling for so long I have come to the conclusion that all the reasons to prohibit a girl from wrestling a boy are hogwash. You hear that it is a no-win situation for a boy. My feeling is you either win or lose. If a boy wins, he is the better wrestler that day, if a girl wins; she is the better wrestler that day. As far as egos are concerned, why is a boy’s ego more important than a girl‘s? The reason you play a sport is to be the best that you can. For me, it does not matter if you beat an opponent or not, you had the opportunity to wrestle.
On a more personal level, my oldest dd, who broke my heart when she gave up softball for soccer, attends public school and is a wrestler. She has never won a match when she has wrestled a boy, but has come very close. She is part of a PA wrestling club for females only and is coached by Olympic caliber coaches. Yes!, female wrestling is an Olympic sport. She recently finished 2nd in the PA girls state wrestling championships. A severe concussion, that she suffered in an all-girls tournament, has halted any further wrestling plans for a while. She loves wrestling. If she attended the school where I used to coach, she would have never been given this great opportunity. Also, if you are looking for a sports scholarship, woman’s collegiate wrestling is an up and coming thing. Two universities expressed interest in my dd’s wrestling talents. She would rather concentrate on her studies in college. She has broken my heart again. Also my wallet needs some mending.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What the heck kinda baseball is played out there in AZ? I'm trying to figure this out, so Mesa plays a total of 8 regular season games, then 4 games to the state championship? Wow!! What a schedule they have, I'm sure they are exhausted. Is this normal out west, surely not.

I like to point out a couple things baseball and softball are two different sports even though there similar. Second we are in 2012 why are we still acting like ladies don't deserve to be on the field. hell if a guy wanted to cheer he has the right. (anyone hear about that story?) I love see ladies play ball.We shouldn't even be discussing this topic at all in my point of view.

Jun 1, 2009
Everyone is entitled to have their own beliefs. We still have bigotry, racism, etc. These people are most likely raised that way, by their parents. One thing that no one has touched on, I don't believe is: The school is teaching this. In todays world, it's scary to know, that there is a school out there teaching, a womans place in the home, a womans place is barefoot and pregnant.

Schools can't say the pledge of alleigience in school, but they can teach this???

I don't care if it's a catholic, luthern, private, etc. school. This should not be taught in this country.

Everyone is entitled to have their own beliefs. We still have bigotry, racism, etc. These people are most likely raised that way, by their parents. One thing that no one has touched on, I don't believe is: The school is teaching this. In todays world, it's scary to know, that there is a school out there teaching, a womans place in the home, a womans place is barefoot and pregnant.

Schools can't say the pledge of alleigience in school, but they can teach this???

I don't care if it's a catholic, luthern, private, etc. school. This should not be taught in this country.
This is true the problem is parents who send there kids to this school already know what to except they have a right to there opinion there opinion does not make them "right"

Nov 29, 2009
I love see ladies play ball.We shouldn't even be discussing this topic at all in my point of view.

This is true the problem is parents who send there kids to this school already know what to except they have a right to there opinion there opinion does not make them "right"

Isn't America GREAT!!!!! Everyone else's opinions, thoughts and beliefs are wrong if they don't coincide with yours. But you know what?????? It doesn't matter... They're entitled to their opinions, thoughts and beliefs there, just like every other school in the country.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
In todays world, it's scary to know, that there is a school out there teaching, a womans place in the home, a womans place is barefoot and pregnant.

Where does it say they are teaching this?

I can't find much about the school's belief system online. If they don't allow girls to play sports of if they state that girls are not 'good enough' to compete against boys, then you've got a case. But I don't see that. All I see is that the school does not believe in co-ed sports. I have not read that the school believes that girls are inferior in any way or should not have the same opportunities - as long as teams are same-gender and not co-ed.

I assume that the school's opposition to co-ed sports is not about sexism, but sex. A fundamentalist church school probably wants to safeguard against all the ''evils'' that come from boys and girls co-mingling. Heaven forbid, they might have lustful thoughts or something.

I don't share that belief system, but I respect it.

If there's more to it than this, then I might have a different take, but I haven't seen it.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Isn't America GREAT!!!!! Everyone else's opinions, thoughts and beliefs are wrong if they don't coincide with yours. But you know what?????? It doesn't matter... They're entitled to their opinions, thoughts and beliefs there, just like every other school in the country.

Very well said!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06