Scap load

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2013
julray, have you uploaded video of her swings? I think that's the best place to start if you haven't already. Lots of good minds here to help.

May 12, 2016
julray, have you uploaded video of her swings? I think that's the best place to start if you haven't already. Lots of good minds here to help.

I've uploaded videos of her previous swings.. and lots of good advice on here, very knowledgeable people. But I don't want to go that route right now. I am not looking for a complete break down of her swing, just a simple drill of learning to turn the barrel. Once we have trained with this I will upload a video. I am just doing focusing on one thing at a time.. and according to Butter.. once she learns to turn the barrel with her hands everything else will fall in place. I really want to test that theory. Actually I am hoping that's the case because it will make training a hell of a lot simpler for me. To me hitting is very technical, and I make it too technical sometimes. So I am going to start with this

Apr 16, 2013
Take this with a grain of salt as it's purely what I did for my dd. Get an old tire and a wood bat. Put the tire against a wall and have at it. Mark the spot you want her to hit and then have her swing hard! Thing is, have her concentrate on just that one thing you want her to learn. If she's swinging hard then other pieces may fall into place, especially with a heavy bat. Wood will last forever and they're not expensive. Like I said, this is just something we did. Throwing stuff out there. :)

Jun 8, 2016
I have a strong, athletic DD who has tons of bat speed, but she is not very coordinated.

Don't take this the wrong way but a major component of being athletic is being coordinated...

Anyway, I've said this to you before I think. For the next month or so just throw her a bunch of front toss and just let her hit with the only objective being to try and barrel
up as many balls as possible. If she really is as athletic as you say she will figure out how to get her barrel to the ball. At that point you can go about
fine tuning her swing again to add more power/adjustability. Your DDs tee swings (I don't remember if you posted a live ball swing) looked very
robotic to me. Just let her swing for a while with the only goal being what I mentioned....

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
Don't take this the wrong way but a major component of being athletic is being coordinated...

Anyway, I've said this to you before I think. For the next month or so just throw her a bunch of front toss and just let her hit with the only objective being to try and barrel
up as many balls as possible. If she really is as athletic as you say she will figure out how to get her barrel to the ball. At that point you can go about
fine tuning her swing again to add more power/adjustability. Your DDs tee swings (I don't remember if you posted a live ball swing) looked very
robotic to me. Just let her swing for a while with the only goal being what I mentioned....

No offense taken ..lol. However let me explain a little better. 2 years ago she walked onto a travel ball team (Rep tier 1 here in Canada) and instantly could throw harder than anybody, hit the ball harder and was one of the fastest on the team.. she's athletic, just clumsy and awkward sometimes. Played sports all my life, I know a lot of athletic people like that.

I didn't post any live swings.. but let me get back to what I originally asked. I am looking for a simple drill for turning the barrel. We've been doing front toss all winter long, she's barreling up for the most part pretty good. I am looking to improve. She looks robotic hitting of the tee because she is thinking too much.. my fault unfortunately. Simple drill for turning the barrel should make things a little easier and not think too much.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_p3huuxUhRs1usf292o1_250.gif

Jun 8, 2016
No offense taken ..lol. However let me explain a little better. 2 years ago she walked onto a travel ball team (Rep tier 1 here in Canada) and instantly could throw harder than anybody, hit the ball harder and was one of the fastest on the team.. she's athletic, just clumsy and awkward sometimes. Played sports all my life, I know a lot of athletic people like that.

I didn't post any live swings.. but let me get back to what I originally asked. I am looking for a simple drill for turning the barrel. We've been doing front toss all winter long, she's barreling up for the most part pretty good. I am looking to improve. She looks robotic hitting of the tee because she is thinking too much.. my fault unfortunately. Simple drill for turning the barrel should make things a little easier and not think too much.

Gotcha. Part of the clumsiness is probably due to growing. A video of her hitting front toss would probably help. With regards to drills, the one rdbass posted (post #36)is a good one. When my DD wasn't resisting tee drills she liked to do that one after I showed her Julio Franco :cool:

ian

Jun 11, 2015

Getting the body in position to turn the barrel may help. This is a pretty good video on overlap.

https://youtu.be/NDfhDAiYL-I

May 12, 2016
Gotcha. Part of the clumsiness is probably due to growing. A video of her hitting front toss would probably help. With regards to drills, the one rdbass posted (post #36)is a good one. When my DD wasn't resisting tee drills she liked to do that one after I showed her Julio Franco :cool:

Shes stopped growing but still trips over her feet sometimes..lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad