Batting Helmet Mask-Ball in Face.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Hockey goalies didnt wear mask 50 years ago. Look up the history of baseball catchers. Evolve. Its OK. Being safe is a sign of intelligence.
View attachment 25419

That picture is with professional make up done to show the injuries over his entire career. Interesting statement in the story, facemasks for goalies came about as a result of rule changes allowing curved sticks. Much like softball masks becoming more popular as bat technologies evolve.

Jul 27, 2021
""I am firmly in the camp of wearing the protective gear, no excuse is good enough.""

My daughter doesn't have a choice. Wear the right equipment or don't play.

All players batting, running, infield, pitching, catching, umpire, 18U should be wearing head/face protection.

I have seen multiple incidents first hand where equipment saved a player serious injury. I have seen serious injury from the lack of equipment.

An adult friend was hit in the face with a softball while running 1st to 2nd. She now has plates in her face to fix the bone fractures.

There was a 10U girl at second that took a line drive in the face. Face mask saved her big time and she continued to play that day. She would have been hospitalized and probably life long psychological trauma.

Nov 18, 2013
There was a 10U girl at second that took a line drive in the face. Face mask saved her big time and she continued to play that day. She would have been hospitalized and probably life long psychological trauma.
This is the part I’ll never understand. Supposedly it’s more intelligent to wear a mask, but most people don’t bother following concussion protocol when that’s the biggest concern after a blow to the head. The kid would be safer with a broken nose or busted tooth spitting blood all over so the parent will have the good sense to get them off the field for the day.

Dec 19, 2021
One of my favorite pics. The chances of me timing this right are effectively zero. 2 months later the pitcher would be her travel teammate. How about that mask?

IMG_20220428_083332856~2.jpg

May 23, 2015
You never know the scenario where it's important to have a mask. Let alone twice in one AB.

So, what happened to the catcher? Anything? Ump seems to have no problem with it? Coach no problem?

In the 2nd one there’s zero chance that catcher picks that kid at 1b. Clearly looking for the int call imo. Clocking a player in the head at point blank range to get a call? Dunno.

Seems careless at best and dirty at worst.

Apr 18, 2017
So, what happened to the catcher? Anything? Ump seems to have no problem with it? Coach no problem?

In the 2nd one there’s zero chance that catcher picks that kid at 1b. Clearly looking for the int call imo. Clocking a player in the head at point blank range to get a call? Dunno.

Seems careless at best and dirty at worst.
It was odd to watch. This was in a fall HS age league that had a mix of mid to low level travel teams. Catcher looked younger than most and maybe was playing up. It looked like she never saw a lefty in the box before. I didn't take it as dirty at the time, and it only resulted in a warning from the ump. Other coach initially argued that my batter needed to get out of the way, and the ump calmly explained the rule to him. If I recall, she didn't attempt a pickoff the rest of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802