Batting Helmet Mask-Ball in Face.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's college played ETBU this weekend and the entire team does not wear batting helmet masks. I know for most teams the individual player can make their own choice as to whether they want to wear the mask or not. Not sure if the coaches mandate no masks or if its peer influenced. 3rd game, 1st batter of the game, which is their best all around player fights off an inside pitch and fouls into her mouth. She goes down bleeding and leaves the game. I heard that her mouth area under her nose has swollen and bloody. It was heartbreaking to see her slumped in pile with blood and tears flowing.

We have all seen the videos of balls hitting players faces, getting stuck in the mask, etc. It seems that this happens in softball...not so much in baseball. I don't see the upside of taking the mask off. Yes, better vision, but these players have been wearing masks their entire playing careers.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Last night Saw a story of a female lacrosse player who got a concussion from being hit in the head by another player's lacrosse stick and she has lost all her memory in the hospital at this time.

And... it was the third concussion this season.
No previous memory loss but the third one yikes!

Really hope that young lady recovers fully, and The message her dad said about helmets on the news plays a role in helping safety.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Dumb and dumber coaches probably at the root of this stupidity. Evolve coaches! Wearing protective gear is not a sign of weakness. In fact its a sign of intelligence. You want smart players, right?

AND why do male lacrosse players use more protective gear than the female lacrosse players? Never could figure that out. I think the rules maybe slightly different but running around and swinging sticks without helmets seems too be a bad idea and prone to injury. Maybe LaCrosse can evolve too.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I don't buy that the vision is all that better. The masks older players wear usually have a good field of view. It's more about looking cool than anything else. People that age think they're bullet proof.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Dumb and dumber coaches probably at the root of this stupidity. Evolve coaches! Wearing protective gear is not a sign of weakness. In fact its a sign of intelligence. You want smart players, right?

AND why do male lacrosse players use more protective gear than the female lacrosse players? Never could figure that out. I think the rules maybe slightly different but running around and swinging sticks without helmets seems too be a bad idea and prone to injury. Maybe LaCrosse can evolve too.
The rules between boys and girls lacrosse couldn't be more different. Boys is more like ice hockey with checking and basically allows players to strike each other with the sticks. Not so with girls, it essentially a non contact sport.

I think if a player wants to wear a mask, then it should be their choice. I don't understand why batting cages are mandated in travel and rec softball. Is there a material difference between baseball and softball in the liklihood of being struck in the face with the ball? It's fine four our DS's in baseball to not have a cage, right?

DD if given the opportunity would utilize a batting helmet face shield (jaw protector) vs a cage.

May 16, 2016
It happens in baseball all the time, but mostly it's fouls off the ground that bounce up into their face.... Interesting thing is the jaw shield does not help at all in these situations.

Due to the rising trajectory of a softball pitch, it is more likely to go straight from bat to face in softball.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
DD if given the opportunity would utilize a batting helmet face shield (jaw protector) vs a cage.

Parents have the responsibility to get in the way of bad decision-making by their kids. I'm certain that if DD hadn't been wearing a cage, there were at least a couple of instances through 18U that would have seriously injured her. Instead, she stayed in the game.

I'm seeing that jaw guard that MLB players wear get bigger and bigger.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Parents have the responsibility to get in the way of bad decision-making by their kids. I'm certain that if DD hadn't been wearing a cage, there were at least a couple of instances through 18U that would have seriously injured her. Instead, she stayed in the game.

I'm seeing that jaw guard that MLB players wear get bigger and bigger.
Of course they do!

"DD if given the opportunity would utilize a batting helmet face shield (jaw protector) vs a cage."
I mean your DD has said to you out of the blue, dad I really wish I didnt have a cage and could hit with just a jaw protector?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I mean your DD has said to you out of the blue, dad I really wish I didnt have a cage and could hit with just a jaw protector?
Ahh...no. I'm saying that she would have been seriously injured at points in her TB/HS career had she not had a mask on her helmet. I doubt she's alone. In fact, I think the risk rises as they get older and everything is thrown / hit harder. I cringe every time a college player comes to the plate with only a jaw guard. It only takes one pitch/throw/foul to end a season, or a career.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Of course they do!

"DD if given the opportunity would utilize a batting helmet face shield (jaw protector) vs a cage."

Yes. She said she wish she could wear a jaw protector now vs having to wait for the ability to make a decision for herself in college (fingers crossed).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2