Batting Helmet Mask-Ball in Face.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Ahh...no. I'm saying that she would have been seriously injured at points in her TB/HS career had she not had a mask on her helmet. I doubt she's alone. In fact, I think the risk rises as they get older and everything is thrown / hit harder. I cringe every time a college player comes to the plate with only a jaw guard. It only takes one pitch/throw/foul to end a season, or a career.

Why is there not ANY push in baseball youth all the way up to MLB to promote use of a helmet cage when it only takes one pitch/throw/foul for a "season/career ending" injury? I would argue that that type of injury is not common at all, it is the fear that dominates the argument for mandated helmet cages.

No one likes injuries at all.. However, the two sports are not dissimilar at all in terms of reaction time to get out of the way of a errant pitch. Little league pitchers pitch from 46' and pitch up to mid 60's. Very few have reached almost 70mph. That is nearly identical in terms of speed as softball from 43'. When baseball moves to 60', pitching speeds increase but reaction time is nearly the same, so again, why the discrepancy? I think it is fear driven.

I appreciate the ability for TB/HS/College players to wear fielding masks if the choose to.. Softball defenders, pitchers especially, are closer than their baseball counterparts for ages 13+ (when baseball moves to 60/90') and softball has crazy exit velos off of hot bats. To me, this is good that the decision is the players and masks are more and more common now.

Oct 26, 2019
DD's college played ETBU this weekend and the entire team does not wear batting helmet masks. I know for most teams the individual player can make their own choice as to whether they want to wear the mask or not. Not sure if the coaches mandate no masks or if its peer influenced. 3rd game, 1st batter of the game, which is their best all around player fights off an inside pitch and fouls into her mouth. She goes down bleeding and leaves the game. I heard that her mouth area under her nose has swollen and bloody. It was heartbreaking to see her slumped in pile with blood and tears flowing.

We have all seen the videos of balls hitting players faces, getting stuck in the mask, etc. It seems that this happens in softball...not so much in baseball. I don't see the upside of taking the mask off. Yes, better vision, but these players have been wearing masks their entire playing careers.
Since I have a baseball background I thought the facemasks at first were maybe a little overkill. Since I started coaching softball I have seen way way more girls hit in the face by fouling it into their own face than I have ever seen in baseball. Any guesses as to why that is? In 30+ years of baseball I’m not sure I ever saw that happen once.

Now I think it’s dumb not to wear them hitting or in the field.

Mar 8, 2016
I am a little to close to this subject at the moment. A little over 2 weeks ago dd fouled a pitch straight up into her face breaking her nose and orbit bone. All the pictures you see of pitchers hit by a line drive and in the hospital is what she looked like. Her softball season may or not be over. Her team has a good chance of playing in the d3 WCWS. A once in a lifetime chance for most young girls. While I am a believer in personal choice I encourage everyone to have their dd wear the cage. Having to see a facial trauma surgeon and an ophthalmologist hoping your dd is going to be ok for life is no fun. Watching your dd do the math for how long she is going to be out and what that means for her chances to play again this year will break your heart.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I am a little to close to this subject at the moment. A little over 2 weeks ago dd fouled a pitch straight up into her face breaking her nose and orbit bone. All the pictures you see of pitchers hit by a line drive and in the hospital is what she looked like. Her softball season may or not be over. Her team has a good chance of playing in the d3 WCWS. A once in a lifetime chance for most young girls. While I am a believer in personal choice I encourage everyone to have their dd wear the cage. Having to see a facial trauma surgeon and an ophthalmologist hoping your dd is going to be ok for life is no fun. Watching your dd do the math for how long she is going to be out and what that means for her chances to play again this year will break your heart.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Best wishes to your DD. I am firmly in the camp of wearing the protective gear, no excuse is good enough.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Why is there not ANY push in baseball youth all the way up to MLB to promote use of a helmet cage when it only takes one pitch/throw/foul for a "season/career ending" injury? I would argue that that type of injury is not common at all, it is the fear that dominates the argument for mandated helmet cages.

No one likes injuries at all.. However, the two sports are not dissimilar at all in terms of reaction time to get out of the way of a errant pitch. Little league pitchers pitch from 46' and pitch up to mid 60's. Very few have reached almost 70mph. That is nearly identical in terms of speed as softball from 43'. When baseball moves to 60', pitching speeds increase but reaction time is nearly the same, so again, why the discrepancy? I think it is fear driven.

I appreciate the ability for TB/HS/College players to wear fielding masks if the choose to.. Softball defenders, pitchers especially, are closer than their baseball counterparts for ages 13+ (when baseball moves to 60/90') and softball has crazy exit velos off of hot bats. To me, this is good that the decision is the players and masks are more and more common now.

I don't know about baseball...don't care. You can speculate about the theoretical chances all you want. Nobody is keeping data on this, but for the individual player, it only takes one time. Over 6+ seasons of TB age 14-18, the chances of taking a pitch or foul to the helmet face mask are more than good, and it happened to DD more than once. It's not something you can control or wish away. When it happens to your kid, hopefully she's got something between her face and that ball.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I would bet it happens more in softball than baseball because of the trajectory of the ball. I would also say there is way more bunting in softball, which puts them more at risk for fouling it into their faces.

Both of my girls have taken pitches and foul balls to the mask this year in varsity already, so I'm thankful they wear them. And, my daughter who pitches will never take the circle without a mask.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

Hockey goalies didnt wear mask 50 years ago. Look up the history of baseball catchers. Evolve. Its OK. Being safe is a sign of intelligence.
1651026953333.png

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Since I have a baseball background I thought the facemasks at first were maybe a little overkill. Since I started coaching softball I have seen way way more girls hit in the face by fouling it into their own face than I have ever seen in baseball. Any guesses as to why that is? In 30+ years of baseball I’m not sure I ever saw that happen once.

Now I think it’s dumb not to wear them hitting or in the field.
Evolution!

May 16, 2016
Any guesses as to why that is? In 30+ years of baseball I’m not sure I ever saw that happen once.

The rising trajectory of the softball pitch, makes the foul from bat to face more likely, vs, the dropping trajectory of the baseball pitch, which makes the bounce off ground to face more prevalent.

Don't you know this player was happy to have a cage on her helmet...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying