Saw a team get robbed.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
In between daughters games I set and watched a game it is an ASA 18U quaffing tournament. I begin watching with about 65 minutes remaining according to score board, and it’s an elimination round. It’s 90 minute time limit if you start an inning you finish an inning as I understood the rules.

The ump is IMO calling some bad calls in the ball and strike area for the team in the field, I’m setting on their side and they are losing 4 – 0. I don’t know either team, but I have seen the team in the field play before and their pitcher is a good little pitcher and rarely walks a batter. In the three innings I see them play the ump never calls a strike and some balls look middle middle from my vantage point, but he says they are too high, no way. The strike zone for the other team was huge; some balls at ankle level were called strikes. Remember I don’t have a dog in this fight.

The catcher according to a parent tells the coach the ump apologies for the calls and advises one of the parents has made him mad. While I was setting there I did not hear anything too bad from parents usual gripes to questionable calls. The coach according to one of the dads instructs the pitcher to throw where the opposing team will swing at the pitch, basically throwing batting practice

The opposing team according to one of the dads has 5 D1 college players starting their sophomore year and they look like a good team with good hitters.

To make a long story short, this team holds the score for the remainder of the game with some great glove work 2 double plays to end threats, comes back with 3 runs and they are home team, they leave bases loaded last ending and a called third at the ankle ends the inning it is now 4-3 and momentum is on their side.

The score board shows 10 minutes and the ump calls the game and abruptly leaves the field, it's the top of the inning. The parents who keep up with the time limit also show 10 minutes remaining to play, the coach protest the game I don’t know what he was told, but he does not look happy as they leave the ball park.

This team paid the fee like the other teams, maybe a parent did say something, but why take it out on the kids. Seeing kids get robbed bothers me. :mad:

Can someone change thread title to Saw a Team Get Robbed, thanks.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
This happens. I've coached for 6 years and just retired last week. A story from DD's weekend tourney:
1. Friday night - game under the lights- DD hits a line drive to CF. CF slides in to make the catch, ball popps out....called out. Field ump didn't see the ball hit the ground. It happens, no impact on the game outcome.
2. Yesterday - DD's team down 3-1 early and come back to take the lead 4-3. Other team ties the score and has a runner on 3rd - 1 out. Line drive to SS who makes the shoestring catch, stops her throw to 1st and looks the runner back at 3rd. If the ball was trapped the kid running to 1st was out by 10 feet. Blue goes mute, no out call, no safe call no waving of the hands indicating the ball hts the ground. Blue awards the batter 1st as they called it s trapped ball - they were the only 2 to see the trap - both sides including the 1st base coach saw the catch.

So instead of 2 outs and runner on 3rd there is 1 out runners on 1st and 3rd. Momemtum is changed and several runs score as a result DD's team is done for the event. Bad call and it influenced the outcome. It stinks.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Saw this last weekend. Girls came back to within 1 in bottom half of the inning, ump's called game and walked off with 2m left.
No mystery, no grey area: coach was a loud-mouthed sideshow freak the whole game.

Don't agree with the tactic, seemed passive-aggressive to me, and it punished the girls....who had already suffered enough.
At the same time, the message was there, bullying the officials is ineffective because they can bully you right back anytime they want.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The ump is IMO calling some bad calls in the ball and strike area for the team in the field

Inconsistent umpires drive me nuts. Last game DD struck a batter out with a called 3rd strike at eye level, felt sorry for the batter. DD is always willing to take advantage of things and started to throw the ball high, sometimes the umpire would call balls over the batter’s head strikes other times a shoulder high ball were called balls. Urrrr.

DD struck out both times she was up swinging at high pitches because she had no clue what the umpire was going to call, HC was not happy with her but I understood what she was trying to do.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I got one.

This year at the 50 team high school tourney I posted on here. There was a pitcher who broke state K records, over 1000 career at the time, so I was looking forward to seeing her. The first 5 innings the teams #2 pitched and did a good job. Final 2 innings the #1 came in and boy did that strike zone get huge, she struck out 6 in a row to end the game.

It really got me thinking, is this how she has over 1000 K's? Haha And to add salt to the wound, they were the hosting team/school for this big tourney. Home cooking?

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
How about training umpires at a TB "State" tournament in elimination bracket games. Ump calling strikes with wrong hand. Overturning another umps calls.

Another tossed a coach for shaking his head. . .:mad:. . .

Had one blue tell us that when catcher is warming up pitcher off the field she must wear a chest protector--he swore it was in the rule book.

Not to mention the messed up brackets. . .

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
I got one.

This year at the 50 team high school tourney I posted on here. There was a pitcher who broke state K records, over 1000 career at the time, so I was looking forward to seeing her. The first 5 innings the teams #2 pitched and did a good job. Final 2 innings the #1 came in and boy did that strike zone get huge, she struck out 6 in a row to end the game.

It really got me thinking, is this how she has over 1000 K's? Haha And to add salt to the wound, they were the hosting team/school for this big tourney. Home cooking?

There is a kid in our area that her grandfather is head of the umpires in this area and she gets a huge strike zone, you pitch against them and you have to thread a needle to get a strike.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Last year at the WS in Orlando, my DD 14u team was up on a team 2-1 thru 5 innings. Bad call at second and not only did he blow the call at second he called the runner safe at 1st as well. That run scored, tied 2-2 in the 6th it was 1hr 15min time limit with inning to be finished.

6th inning we bat and don't score, next team comes up gets a runner on 1st, who steals and get to 3rd on pass ball. Next pitch, field ump calls illegal pitch w/zero warning to our pitcher, run scored. He then calls time on the game as the other team scored in the last bats. That was a tough pill to watch the girls swallow.

Not sure if we would have won or lost but would have been nice to see the girls decide the game!

Nothing like adults getting together to screw over kids. That's special right there.

^^ you are so right!

Jun 22, 2008
No offense, but where in the rule book does it say the umpire is to give a pitcher warning about illegal pitches?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1