Saw a team get robbed.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
The b/r had already been tagged out; the interference happened after she was out (sorry, didn't mention it before). Since the runner was now the only runner on base, and, therefore, closest to home plate, she is also called out. I could be wrong, or looking at an old rule clarification...but that's the way I understand it.

Jun 22, 2008
What was the play? What did the B/R do after being tagged out that was interference?

Oct 19, 2009
We play against pitchers every week that crow hop or become air born during their delivery. If I can see it from my view point, surely a base ump from the field can see it. If an ump is there to enforce the rules. Why is this rule over looked time and time again?

The Rule Books is pretty darn thick, if you nitpick then you could probably find an infraction of a rule on a majority of the plays.

My daughter was pitching in the rain 2 weeks ago in a showcase in Birmingham, AL and using a rosin bag. The ump warned the catcher to tell the pitcher my daughter to properly wipe her hands on her pants after using the rosin, next pitch she did not properly wipe after using the rosin he was calling an illegal pitch. Many times I’ve seen a ump go to the mound even in college and warn a pitcher about an infraction, some umps do give warnings.

Not knowing why an IP was called I’m speaking from best guess, maybe knowing why I would feel different. I still think from what I know a warning would have been fine with me.

Jun 22, 2008
Dont know what rules set you may have been playing under, but as for FED and ASA rules, they do not require wiping the hand after using the rosin bag. College does.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
We play against pitchers every week that crow hop or become air born during their delivery. If I can see it from my view point, surely a base ump from the field can see it. If an ump is there to enforce the rules. Why is this rule over looked time and time again?

The Rule Books is pretty darn thick, if you nitpick then you could probably find an infraction of a rule on a majority of the plays.

My daughter was pitching in the rain 2 weeks ago in a showcase in Birmingham, AL and using a rosin bag. The ump warned the catcher to tell the pitcher my daughter to properly wipe her hands on her pants after using the rosin, next pitch she did not properly wipe after using the rosin he was calling an illegal pitch. Many times I’ve seen a ump go to the mound even in college and warn a pitcher about an infraction, some umps do give warnings.

Not knowing why an IP was called I’m speaking from best guess, maybe knowing why I would feel different. I still think from what I know a warning would have been fine with me.

REASONS THE BASE UMPIRE DOESN'T CALL IP:

(1) hasn't cracked the spine of the rule book since 1956
(2) "the pitcher isn't gaining any advantage so it's no big deal"
(3) "what's an illegal pitch?"
(4) my UIC told me the tournament director doesn't want IPs called

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
...My daughter was pitching in the rain 2 weeks ago in a showcase in Birmingham, AL and using a rosin bag. The ump warned the catcher to tell the pitcher my daughter to properly wipe her hands on her pants after using the rosin, next pitch she did not properly wipe after using the rosin he was calling an illegal pitch.

You guys crack me up.....

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Lots of games are decided on a single play or call.

Obviously, you didn't read a thing I wrote.

Second inning, we are up 2-0, runners on 1st and 2nd, 2 outs. Batter gets a called strike (very audible umpire, by the way!), and the double steal is on. Catcher (my kid) throws to third, but the base is stolen. Next pitch is a swinging strike, and the blue says the count is 1-1. As the official scorekeeper, I tell him I have 0-2. He comes over to talk to me and as I'm explaining how I have 0-2, somebody from OUR OWN dugout yells that he has 1-1. The blue doesn't let me finish, says that my dugout has what he has and that's the count. Next pitch? Strike...then a hit... the opposing team ends up scoring 5 runs by the time we can get the 3rd out...and we lose 5-2!

Thank you for making my point....Not excusing the umpire for his screwup with the count, but what did your DDs team do in the first, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh innings? One screwup by this umpire DID NOT decided this game.

May 18, 2009
I tried explaining the strike zone to a newer players parent. The ump turns around and says I'm wrong. He said he calls balls on strikes based on the ability of the pitcher. The better the pitcher the tighter the strike zone.

Apr 1, 2010

DD's team played against a pitcher who replanted on basically every pitch. The umps and the UIC all said she wasn't gaining any advantage so it wasn't illegal. This was 12U, so she was throwing from a heck of a lot closer than 40' and she was a very big, imposing girl to begin with. They were wrong on both counts in my book, but there's not much you can do.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Dtwn92 - you say to let the players decide the game, don't make a call like that at that point in the game, etc, etc, ect.....

Last I checked, games are played for 7 innings (or time limit) one single play or call had NEVER decided a game....the team that lost had multiple opportunities to get additional hits, score additional runs, make less errors, throw different pitches, etc., during the prior playing time.

Sounds like typical fan/player/coach speak to me.....

Ajaywill, you needed to add one more thing, the umpires had multiple opportunities to get their calls exactly right during the prior playing time. I'm just saying.... :)

Seriously, this is one reason I don't watch or care for pro basketball. The calls change in the 4th qtr "so the players can decide the game". If it is a foul in the 1st qtr, it should be a foul in the 4th qtr.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1