Saw a team get robbed.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
No offense, but where in the rule book does it say the umpire is to give a pitcher warning about illegal pitches?

You are correct about there not being a must for the warning. I've always seen a warning issued and its still a pretty poor way to end a game. Lets let the players decide the game on the field and not have the ump look to end the game cuz he needs a potty break before his next game.

No offense its ticky tac to wait til the end of the game to call that call!

Jun 22, 2008
If its something the pitcher had been doing the whole game and hadnt been called, I would agree. If its something she did just once and it got called would not be ticky tac at all, would be an umpire doing his job. And the players did decide the game on the field. Rules are the rules and while it may be unfortunate the game was ended on an illegal pitch call that is part of the game. What other rules would you like for the umpires to just ignore so the "players can decide the game"?

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
What other rules would you like for the umpires to just ignore so the "players can decide the game"?

Don't want them to "ignore" any rules, but communications might be nice too. Like telling the coaches or even the players. Bad timing to make that call as it mostly is a judgement by him. I'm sure if it was going on all game or just that once the other teams coach would have been letting everyone and their brother know he felt it was illegal. Wasn't happening thou...

So sure, letter of the law he was correct, but we all know there is a strike zone for every batter but as in this tread, each ump has his own zone to call. I'm sure the ump walked off the field saying to himself, I'm so glad I picked that time to be by the book. The real unfortunate part is, seeing as he was so sure it was a perfect time to "use the rule book", he didn't get consultation on that call by the other ump calling that game seeing as that meant the game for all the players. No harm in making sure...um unless you have to go. I bet the other team was pretty happy they won a close game on that call too....oh, right no they weren't.

Thanks for the response thou, glad there is those out there like you who like to let um play!

Oct 19, 2009
Don't want them to "ignore" any rules, but communications might be nice too. Like telling the coaches or even the players. Bad timing to make that call as it mostly is a judgement by him. I'm sure if it was going on all game or just that once the other teams coach would have been letting everyone and their brother know he felt it was illegal. Wasn't happening thou...

So sure, letter of the law he was correct, but we all know there is a strike zone for every batter but as in this tread, each ump has his own zone to call. I'm sure the ump walked off the field saying to himself, I'm so glad I picked that time to be by the book. The real unfortunate part is, seeing as he was so sure it was a perfect time to "use the rule book", he didn't get consultation on that call by the other ump calling that game seeing as that meant the game for all the players. No harm in making sure...um unless you have to go. I bet the other team was pretty happy they won a close game on that call too....oh, right no they weren't.

Thanks for the response thou, glad there is those out there like you who like to let um play!

Dtwin92, was the illegal pitch called for leaping, crow hopping or something else? If it was something the pitcher had been doing the entire game and it was called at this time then I agree a cheap shot by the ump, let the players decide the outcome.

A flagrant violation to gain an edge at a critical point in the game and the only time it occurred a warning would have been appropriate IMO.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Dtwin92, was the illegal pitch called for leaping, crow hopping or something else? If it was something the pitcher had been doing the entire game and it was called at this time then I agree a cheap shot by the ump, let the players decide the outcome.
A flagrant violation to gain an edge at a critical point in the game and the only time it occurred a warning would have been appropriate IMO.

Agreed! Not a whole lot to ask for at that point in the game.

Jun 22, 2008
And just how is a warning appropriate to the other team? You telling me if the situation had been the other way around, your runner on 3rd, pitcher makes an obvious illegal pitch and you are only going to want a warning? Sorry folks, rules do not have any stipulation for a warning nor is it fair to the other team to let the pitcher have a do over.

Oct 19, 2009
And just how is a warning appropriate to the other team? You telling me if the situation had been the other way around, your runner on 3rd, pitcher makes an obvious illegal pitch and you are only going to want a warning? Sorry folks, rules do not have any stipulation for a warning nor is it fair to the other team to let the pitcher have a do over.

JMO if it was my team or the other and the only time it happen a warning would be fine with me.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.

How was it appropriate to the other team? Well, seeing as they didn't call foul, talk to the ump about an illegal pitch and afterwards felt it was a bad call, bad timing and not the way they wanted to win the game I'll go with that. If the situation would have been the other way around, I'd want the ump to do the common sense thing and warn, ya know...be human! Just like he was 99% of the game, just like he was on the blown call at second I mentioned in my 1st post on this topic. And if he felt this call was needed to be made, he should have gone to the other ump and made sure what he seen was true. Rules do not have stipulations as you say, but there is as MLB purest hollar, a human element to umping.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Guess I have been umpiring wrong all these years. From now on I will make sure to consult with my partner on every call I make to be absolutely sure he saw the same thing I saw.

Still not sure exactly what we are talking about here??

If it was crow hopping or leaping the chances that this was the first time in six innings the pitcher did this is probably zero (or was this a sub pitcher and this was her first inning) and choosing to call the violation for the first time, while 100% correct and legal, with a runner at third in the sixth inning is B.S. and well all know it.

Now on the other hand when a pitcher say comes together separate starts moving then stops comes together again and separates and moves again my reaction as an ump was instinctive I don't know that I could even stop myself if I tried, I would stop play immediately the first time every time, then explain the rule if the pitcher or coach was unsure.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy523