Sacrifice Bunts and Math

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

KU2

Mar 8, 2015
As a former Fastpitch coach who now coaches baseball, I want to discuss the OP's reference to bunting in baseball now, at the high school and college levels and I have been fortunate to have coached at both levels (baseball). The landscape of the two levels of the game offensively has changed dramatically due to the BBCOR bats. The days of grip and rip especially at the high school level are over. The days of the check swing liner out of the infield is gone. Small ball is a very effective offensive tool in baseball at this time. One big reason is a lot of today's young high school coaches grew up in the grip and rip era of the game, watching the LSU teams making gorilla ball famous and they do not teach how to defense a team that plays an aggressive small ball team. Therefore a lot of errors are made and it creates big innings.
I say this because I strongly will argue that the bunt game in baseball is more productive now than it was 5-10 years ago, due to the BBCOR bats, especially in high school baseball. I personally use the bunt, steal, and aggressive base running philosophy in the teams I have had the past few years. I took over a program that it's players had such terrible swings, it would have been impossible to fix their swings. So in order to try to compete, I took the resource of overall team speed was above average, simplified their swing to make contact, but got them to buy into using the bunt as a weapon. We basically developed into a team that played a Fastpitch style game, on the baseball field. Teams would play their 3rd baseman even with the mound like they do in Fastpitch. This style of play led to the 1st winning season in 7 years for the program, a play-off appearance for the 1st time in 9 years, and a play-off game win for the 1st time in 12 years. The following year that style led to a 16-5 record, and two playoff series wins before being eliminated. So I strongly feel the bunt game, in baseball is in a window that the bunt is more productive currently than the OP stated. And as far as College Baseball, UCLA won the National Championship with a team batting avg of .244 I believe. So if taught properly it is even more effective still in the Fastpitch game due to more girls working to have better swings and coaches playing for the big inning because the overall hitting ability of girls in the sport has improved.

Apr 1, 2010
How about a show bunt and pull back (that obstructs the batter's box as much as legally possible) and a steal of third? ...Assuming a fast runner on 2nd and a righty batter. Seems risky, but they're going to be expecting bunt. I'd think your runner has a decent chance of sliding in safe on the throw to the SS who'll have to race the runner over to third when the 3rd baseman crashes.

Mind you, I'm no coach, just a crazy softball mom. :)

Ha! I finally got around to watching the Florida/Alabama game I had recorded and what did I see??? Florida had a pinch runner on second and tried this play. She was out. BUT it took a good throw and an awesome sliding catch and tag from Alabama's SS Danae Hays, that earned Hays a spot in ESPN Sport Center's top ten plays. Watch Alabama softball sliding tag that earned ESPN SportsCenter Top-10 play | AL.com

Apr 1, 2010
So in order to try to compete, I took the resource of overall team speed was above average, simplified their swing to make contact, but got them to buy into using the bunt as a weapon. We basically developed into a team that played a Fastpitch style game, on the baseball field.

The Royals, who were not a power hitting team, made it to the World Series this year, by using their speed to play an aggressive small-er ball game than you usually see in MLB. IMO they were thrilling to watch too!

Jan 13, 2010
Well, i would try for the out at third. so you would either have first and second 1 out or bases loaded no outs. Again, just a thought, have never tried it, or seen it. But if you can't give up a run i would think about it.

Feb 7, 2013
There are so many ways to score from 3rd base, especially in fastpitch, that you need to seriously consider moving those baserunners over to 3rd even if it means taking an out. Ways to score from 3rd without a hit: wild pitch, passed ball, sac fly, suicide squeeze, drag bunt, error, illegal pitch, ground out, overthrow on pick off attempt, delayed steal of second base, etc. In general, having a runner on 3rd with less than two outs puts tremendous pressure on the pitcher and the other defensive players. You need to manufacture runs the best you can.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Another important consideration is the defense's ability to field the bunt and get the out. Should be an automatic at the older levels. Maybe not at 12U, which would make it a better strategy for 12U.

As a rule for myself as a coach, I treat outs like gold. I try not to give any away if I can avoid it. Someday I hope to see the stats on how many sac bunts of a runner from first to second ended up with the runner scoring versus not. I know the information is out there if someone is willing to go through all the game summaries, or can get the data and program the computer to chunk through it. I won't personally be doing either.

May 17, 2012
I watched the Purdue vs Wisconsin game on Sunday.

Purdue got the lead-off batter on first with no outs. The two batter sac bunted the runner to second.

The next two batters walked.

My point would be that with no outs and runner on first there are so many different ways that runner can get to second. Why waste an out. I don't want to say never, but pretty damn close to never (bunt in that situation).

Feb 7, 2013

Purdue got the lead-off batter on first with no outs. The two batter sac bunted the runner to second.

My point would be that with no outs and runner on first there are so many different ways that runner can get to second. Why waste an out. I don't want to say never, but pretty damn close to never (bunt in that situation).

It takes the force play at 2nd away and the double play as well. Also threat of bunt moves the corners in and creates additional "chaos" to the defense. I like putting as much pressure on the defense as possible. No right answer here but don't forget small ball works well in certain situations.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

Most college catchers have a rifle arm, so unless your runner on 1B is fast as lighting a straight steal is not a high percentage play. If I remember correctly that game was low scoring, so every run was critical. If we have a fast girl on 1B we will straight steal her with a fake bunt by the batter and if she is safe at second we will sacrifice bunt her to 3B.

Apr 1, 2010
Another important consideration is the defense's ability to field the bunt and get the out. Should be an automatic at the older levels. Maybe not at 12U, which would make it a better strategy for 12U.

IMO anything that gets the ball into play at the younger ages is a grand idea. --Especially with the added pressure of runners zooming around on the bases. All kinds of good things often happen for the offense and only rarely does a ball in play result in a double play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00