Sacrifice Bunts and Math

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I think we hashed this out hard in these 30 pages

Jun 8, 2016
I think we hashed this out hard in these 30 pages

Yeah I am too old for this now..let them sac bunt their #2 hitter in the 1st inning when they are throwing their 3rd best pitcher..who am I to say otherwise.

Dec 11, 2010
In our local hs softball scene, it really seems to me that whether you have a good defense or not, the best teams are scoring somewhere in the neighborhood of at least 7 runs per game average.

The days of playing for one run are pretty much gone here. Dinosaurs aren’t winning with their bunt a run in plan. The teams that count on players to magically practice hitting on their own don’t win either. Better have a coach on staff working with hitters.

Jun 7, 2020
We came across a team last weekend. It was a close game heading into the last inning. Umpire said this is the final inning. We got a runner on and tried to bunt runner over to 2nd. The team didn't know what to do about a bunt. We then had runners on 1st and 2nd no outs. Our leadoff hitter blasted the ball to the fence. 2 runs score. We kept bunting to move the runner over. We ended up winning the game 7 to 5. We were down 5 to 3 going into the final inning. Later we talked to their coach who said that they didn't have a bunt coverage for his defense. This was a 14u tournament. We are a 12u b team. We ended up winning the tournament. Our team believes alot in small ball in close games. Our hitters practice bunting every practice for this very reason. One weekend in particular we bunted with our 3rd and 4th hitters. The other coach thinks we are swinging away in the 3 hole and next thing he knows a runner is on bc of a bunt.

Jun 8, 2016
We came across a team last weekend. It was a close game heading into the last inning. Umpire said this is the final inning. We got a runner on and tried to bunt runner over to 2nd. The team didn't know what to do about a bunt. We then had runners on 1st and 2nd no outs. Our leadoff hitter blasted the ball to the fence. 2 runs score. We kept bunting to move the runner over. We ended up winning the game 7 to 5. We were down 5 to 3 going into the final inning. Later we talked to their coach who said that they didn't have a bunt coverage for his defense. This was a 14u tournament. We are a 12u b team. We ended up winning the tournament. Our team believes alot in small ball in close games. Our hitters practice bunting every practice for this very reason. One weekend in particular we bunted with our 3rd and 4th hitters. The other coach thinks we are swinging away in the 3 hole and next thing he knows a runner is on bc of a bunt.
If you have a better chance of getting on with a "sacrifice" bunt then you do hitting away then by all means knock yourself out...Of course in that case the amount of sacrifice is similar to giving up turnips for Lent..

Jun 7, 2020
At the time our 3 hole hitter was 0 for 2 or 3. Game before had not done well either. Idk if it's bc of the difference in the distance from the mound to the plate or what. But she was off. Our number 5 hitter was on fire that weekend. She tore through the pitching. Anytime we could get runners on for her we did.

Jun 8, 2016
At the time our 3 hole hitter was 0 for 2 or 3. Game before had not done well either. Idk if it's bc of the difference in the distance from the mound to the plate or what. But she was off. Our number 5 hitter was on fire that weekend. She tore through the pitching. Anytime we could get runners on for her we did.
You missed my point..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying