Sacrifice Bunts and Math

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
We are a bit off topic from the OP, BUT....does anyone ever think about walking the first batter in ITB to make a force at 3rd? or do I just think different than most?

Please do. I will bunt every time, and then have 2 runners in scoring position with one out.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I see many people say "HIGH LEVEL" then refer to "B" as a place where a bunch of runs are scored.

"B" level play day scores
2-1
3-2
7-4

In these games the sac bunt played a huge role. Sac an out for a run? I will do that all day in Softball. Might not be the % play but I've won plenty of games by bunting for 5 innings on teams with dominate pitching.

May 17, 2012
Please do. I will bunt every time, and then have 2 runners in scoring position with one out.

If you promise to bunt, I would take you up on that offer. I would then walk bases loaded with one out which decreases your chances of winning.

I will concede that from the beginning of the inning you have increased you chances of winning by 5%, but it's marginal.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
If you promise to bunt, I would take you up on that offer. I would then walk bases loaded with one out which decreases your chances of winning.

I will concede that from the beginning of the inning you have increased you chances of winning by 5%, but it's marginal.

I generally intentionally walk a batter (or two) to load the bases when there are less than two outs, the winning run is at 3B, and the walked batter is of no consequence. To give up a free base to start an inning in ITB is a low percentage decision. With runners at 2nd and 3rd with one out, you're one WP away from a bad inning.

Apr 1, 2010
How about a show bunt and pull back (that obstructs the batter's box as much as legally possible) and a steal of third? ...Assuming a fast runner on 2nd and a righty batter. Seems risky, but they're going to be expecting bunt. I'd think your runner has a decent chance of sliding in safe on the throw to the SS who'll have to race the runner over to third when the 3rd baseman crashes.

Mind you, I'm no coach, just a crazy softball mom. :)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I see many people say "HIGH LEVEL" then refer to "B" as a place where a bunch of runs are scored.

"B" travel ball is a place where a bunch of runs are scored, in general. Not every game, of course. But in general, the higher the level, the older the level, the fewer runs, on average.

The more runs that are being scored, the less wise it is give up an out simply to move a runner up one base. And vice-versa. So, in a typical 12U game, there is much less benefit in a sac-bunt than in the SEC, imo.

"B" level play day scores
2-1
3-2
7-4

In these games the sac bunt played a huge role. Sac an out for a run? I will do that all day in Softball. Might not be the % play but I've won plenty of games by bunting for 5 innings on teams with dominate pitching.

Yes, but the original post wasn't about bunting, or sacrificing an out for a run. It was about sacrificing an out to move a runner to 2nd. Would would make an out on purpose to move a runner from 1st to 2nd in a 12U 'B' game. It would have to be a very dominant pitcher. There are too many other ways of getting the runner to 2nd without giving up an out.

Sounds like what you're talking about is a strategy of putting the ball in play with the bunt to get on base and create havoc. That's a little different. That works even better at younger levels - if your team can bunt well.

Oct 5, 2011
Sterling IL
As a coach I would love to play my corners play back and just play the hotshots. It puts some stress on team when they have to wonder what your going to do.. Just my opinion I like to use the sac bunt to put runners in scoring position...

Feb 3, 2011
This is a good question to discuss at 12u, but it goes without saying that there are no set in stone answers because of personnel. How many truly elite teams are there? I'm talking about teams that have what you might generally consider an ideal lineup with no weak spots. Most A level teams aren't elite. They're really good, but they're not elite. Such teams might have a strong pitcher with a good bat, but lead feet on the bases. Even if she's got a strong hitter behind her, if there's no substitute available to run for her late in a close game, the optimum play might be to drop a bunt to advance her rather than risking her being taken out by a hard grounder to short. I have no problem with a coach making the decision to go with their gut in this scenario rather than likening their situation to something they observed in an SEC game.

The best teams have the ability to play small ball when they want to and also the ability to DEFEND against it. I see teams that don't defend it well get blitzed all the time when that speedy leadoff gets on base and begins forcing the issue.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I generally intentionally walk a batter (or two) to load the bases when there are less than two outs, the winning run is at 3B, and the walked batter is of no consequence. To give up a free base to start an inning in ITB is a low percentage decision. With runners at 2nd and 3rd with one out, you're one WP away from a bad inning.

By loading up the bases you are also putting pressure on your pitcher to not walk another batter. Some pitchers thrive under that pressure, while others wither....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
By loading up the bases you are also putting pressure on your pitcher to not walk another batter. Some pitchers thrive under that pressure, while others wither....

I would also like to point out that while some pitchers thrive under this pressure, most pitchers parents have a serious "pucker" with bases loaded and a 3-ball count.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi