rollover drop - four seam vs two seam grip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2008
FFS, you are wrong. Now it is your turn...post a video of the hand of a pitcher throwing a peel drop and then let's compare the two.

Peel drop: extra spin is added to the ball by flipping the fingers in a vertical plane.
This is from Gerald Warner's website about the peel: "Precisely at the release of the ball, quickly pull backwards (and slightly up) with your fingertips to create a fast forward spin on the ball as it leaves your hand. This "peeling" (or "pulling the rug out from under") the ball is similar to the magician's trick of pulling the tablecloth out from under plates and glasses."

That is not *ANYTHING* like the motion my DD uses. It is obvious to anyone that her palm has rotated 90 degree from facing the catcher to facing the her leg in the space of *ONE* frame...or roughly 3 hundredths of a second.

The extra spin put on the ball comes from rotating the fingers around an axis parallel to the path of the ball It is a screwing action of the right hand. It is more like my DD is spinning a top, where the top is a softball.

This similar to the different ways to put top spin on a tennis forehand. There is the "conventional" way of keeping the racquet low at impact and then moving it up to a higher position. Then, there is the way pros put top spin on the ball by rapidly rotating the racket head at impact.

[video]http://youtu.be/pmrO4LQmVAY[/video]

(Yes, "rollover" is not accurate. I didn't name the pitch.)

You guys call a 61MPH drop ball "offspeed"? Wow...the BS really is getting deep.

Slugger refer to bold ....are you saying that when throwing a peel that the hand, wrist, and arm snap upward in a vertical plane......ie the hello elbow, bowling style snap and no IR ????

Jul 21, 2008
She says pull up out from under ball.....is that what she does ??? The Hanson Principle compare everything anyone including high level pitchers and coaches tell you to video.

Jul 26, 2010
She says pull up out from under ball.....is that what she does ??? The Hanson Principle compare everything anyone including high level pitchers and coaches tell you to video.

I'm curious as to what you think she's doing here? Or are you fooled by the usual floppy armed follow through associated with IR (see any Uneo thread).

-W

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm curious as to what you think she's doing here? Or are you fooled by the usual floppy armed follow through associated with IR (see any Uneo thread).

-W

In the prior video you posted Cat commented that she doesn't throw a "turn-over drop", but only a "peel drop".

What I believe I see is the use of the fingers at release.

Jul 21, 2008

-W

I would call this a peel drop (Cat said I don't throw a rollover) but NOT the pull up on the ball at release that was discussed in earlier post.

Jul 26, 2010
Fingertips are what spin the ball, in this case, upwards (hence the term peel) at release. No one is going to hold the ball with anything but fingertips unless it's a change-up. . . . so you could really say that for any pitch. I think that the whole wrist flipping upwards and forearm flipping upwards are commonly used for exaggeration. Remember that it's young kids being taught these pitches, not people who normally understand physics. Once they see the exaggeration, and then are told "go pitch", if they already have good fastball mechanics the pitch will fall into place. I'm sure that a pitching video designed to teach detail oriented internet jockeys how to pitch would be done differently.

-W

Aug 2, 2008
If you are saying, "The peel is any spin applied to the ball by the fingers", then "peel" would also include curves, screws, rises and fastballs..........sluggers

I say yes, absolutely.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd