Rip it Fielders Mask

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2010
Central NJ
The local sporting goods stores have stopped carrying the Rip it Fielders Mask, and have started carrying the Schutt Fielders Mask instead. Is the Schutt a better mask than the Rip it? From what I read previously, I thought the Rip it was the best mask for my DD but I really want her to try it on first before we buy it. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

P.S. My DD just finished her first sleepover softball camp, and loved it.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
I bet the profit margin is higher on the Schutt. Wouldn't say it is any better. Sure looks like the schutt is based on rip-its design.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
My DD has tried the Game Face, Rip-It and Schutt. The Rip-It and Schutt are a little heavier than the Game Face, but the field of vision is much better. She is currently using the Schutt. The pads are thicker and aren't foam like the Rip-it. She says they absorb the sweat better and are more comfortable on her face. The field of vision is also slightly larger. If I remember correctly, the Rip-it and Schutt were about the same price. The velcro pieces that attach the pads tended to come off after awhile. I think the glue was deteriorating in the heat and moisture. She's only had the Schutt a couple of months, so I don't know if we'll have the same issue.

May 25, 2010
I believe the cost was only about $35 and I chose the Schutt. She loves it so far, but has yet to wear it in a game situation. She has expressed no vision concerns, but as with anything worn on the head, sweat is still an issue.

Jul 28, 2008
I bought the Rip-It for my DD. She had a Gameface at the time and I told her to use the GF while pitching and the Rip-It while fielding. Well she tossed the Gameface aside after one game of fielding with the Rip-It. She loved the open view of the Rip-It and hasn't looked back.

On a side note, one girl on our older team took a shot to her GF and it busted in several spots. She was okay, but I was wondering about the longevity of the plastic over the years and if they should be replaced every year or two. Anyone know?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I do not know and I took as hard a LD to mine that anyone could receive. So, I e-mailed GF and told them my story and I asked if they felt like I should replace it. NO REPLY

I was not happy, but I did buy another one, since I was used to that one and I knew it could take a hard hit.

Jun 25, 2009
Rip-it redesign

The chin cup on my DD's rip-it had the velcro come off and I ordered a Schutt. Once it came in I called Rip-it about the problems expecting to have to send it in. They just sent me a new chin cup and a pony tail strap. Could have done without the Schutt, she's back in the rip-it now. The new chin cup is more like the Schutt now. I wouldn't say one is any better, but Rip-it has great customer service.

Jan 30, 2010
The chin cup on my DD's rip-it had the velcro come off and I ordered a Schutt. Once it came in I called Rip-it about the problems expecting to have to send it in. They just sent me a new chin cup and a pony tail strap. Could have done without the Schutt, she's back in the rip-it now. The new chin cup is more like the Schutt now. I wouldn't say one is any better, but Rip-it has great customer service.
My DD's cup wouldnt stay on either on the Rip It and they sent me 2 more and they stick alot better than the OG.She loves her Rip It.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish