Does it get worse

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
the whole "wear it or don't play" sounds cool, but it isn't our style.......

That is fine. Everybody has different parenting styles. However if that isn't how you roll I am not sure coming on a discussion board
and starting a thread with a title "Does it get worse" makes a lot of sense :cool:

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
the whole "wear it or don't play" sounds cool, but it isn't our style.......she and i have a good relationship built, she has dealt with me coaching her and all the baggage that comes with it, and she's a solid player and a great kid as a result/despite that fact......she eats a lot of good & bad as a result of that coach/dad dynamic, so i am not going to lose sleep over the mask, nor will i lose sleep over the lost $25.......we have a deal in our house, we don't complain about the sports bills, they don't get to complain when we ask them to watch their sister or clean the bathroom or help out in the yard......again, the system works for us quite well......two high honor roll students, 3-sport athletes, DD1 has been a 2-year middle school captain in FH, and if we selected captains for either of my softball teams, she'd be both.......not complaining, not looking to make an issue, just a ha-ha type moment

This is similar to the relationship I have with my DD. She is 12 and I usually pre-approve most purchases but have gotten poopood on a couple. We don't complain about sports bills usually, only when she gripes about not getting to spend money for something else, which isn't that common. We have a very good relationship, she gets great grades, and stays out of trouble. Why ask for more from a 12 year old?

May 20, 2015
That is fine. Everybody has different parenting styles. However if that isn't how you roll I am not sure coming on a discussion board
and starting a thread with a title "Does it get worse" makes a lot of sense :cool:

it was a "does it get worse" haha sort of thread.....the whole "i don't want to be the only one with a different mask" thing just makes me glad i'm not 13 still

Jun 8, 2016
it was a "does it get worse" haha sort of thread.....the whole "i don't want to be the only one with a different mask" thing just makes me glad i'm not 13 still

Agreed. Also as a boy my experiences growing up probably don't carry over to teenage girls. As a boy growing up, not going to parties, wearing whatever I wanted to regardless of trends, etc ..e.g.
being "different" was tolerated because I was good at sports. I could have had a pink glove and while my teammates may have ribbed me a bit, it wouldn't have lasted long nor would it have been
"mean". All my friends had the Air Jordans..I had Converse from the outlet store. My father told me that sneakers don't make jump shots and I was ok with it
probably because my friends didn't give me too tough a time about it..and I was a Larry Bird fan :cool:. Not sure that my sister had the same experiences nor will my daughter unfortunately.

When you get older you realize that standing out from the crowd is often a good thing..as a teenager
that mentality is a difficult one.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Almost ever teenage girl is embarrassed by her father at some point. It is part of our job description. My kids, esp. my DDs, are embarrassed by me all the time. My DD 2 in particular seems to find her father extremely embarrassing. With good reason, I am sure.

Occasionally my kids will notice families with no father, or an abusive father, and for a few fleeting moments their totally embarrassing dad doesn't seem so bad.

My wife is embarrassed by me all the time..and she hasn't been a teenager for A VERY LONG time..ok don't tell her I said that.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
Almost ever teenage girl is embarrassed by her father at some point. It is part of our job description. My kids, esp. my DDs, are embarrassed by me all the time. My DD 2 in particular seems to find her father extremely embarrassing. With good reason, I am sure.

Occasionally my kids will notice families with no father, or an abusive father, and for a few fleeting moments their totally embarrassing dad doesn't seem so bad.

I sometimes go out of my way to embarrass my daughter. It gets her out of her comfort zone, and actually builds her confidence. She had learned to embrace and own her "faults" and imperfections. She is not one of the "popular" girls at school and gets picked on sometimes. She really just shrugs it off. Not to be all "billy badass" but we sort of take a "the lions don't care what the sheep think" kind of approach to things.

May 20, 2015
DD1 is super lucky in this regard......we are a small school, only about 70 in her class of 8th graders

of that group, about 12 or so of the girls are all solid athletes, mostly all honor roll kids......they have their moments, as they are 13 year old girls, but they are all pretty strong & confident and most of the catty BS doesn't happen, mostly because the rest won't stand for it......they are good to their classmates (except their male counterparts haha), and we escape much of the drama

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00