rear view ????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Java, Is this the girl that looks a lot like my DD by chance? I obviously can't see her face but from behind they look very similar...right down to the same glove it looks like!

Yeah... remember how I called M by the wrong name... this is that girl. Amazing similarities, huh?!

Should the arm be this straight?

I've had a few PM's on this...

First off... each pitcher is definitely unique. This gif was to illustrate release mechanics from behind... as that's what D was looking for.

This pitcher maintains a slight amount of flexion on the backside (further up the circle)... something I'm not losing sleep over, as there is no magic angle.

Keep in mind - this gif starts at 8 o'clock. From this point on... I want the pitcher working the bend OUT OF their elbow... which is not the same thing as 'elbow snapping'... or hyper-extension.

Note that on release, the ELBOW regains flexion... and that she releases off the back leg. Couple these attributes with physical wellness and a stellar work ethic... and you end up with a 15 year-old throwing 60+ mph... just like she throws. This is a good example of 'catching the whip'.

Where I find that many on here 'go wrong' is that they believe that the degree of flexion on the backside should persist into release. It should NOT. This is the reason that I TEACH a "frenchman's kiss" follow-through... meaning the arm straightens, palm down, towards the target.

IMPORTANT: It's a result of energy getting chained through the elbow... as opposed to just using I/R of the shoulder. Take a look at D's original gif on page 1... and note the follow-through. You'll see that she never finishes that pitch in the frenchman's kiss position... maintaining bend throughout. This tells me that the pronation (elbow articulation) of the pitch... and the PULL-DOWN of the pinky INTO release was not completed correctly. Just my opinion... It's not to say D's daughter isn't improving... and that there is no pronation... just something she still needs to work on. IMO... this is why her shoulder continues through to the target... as opposed to her elbow/forearm/hand.

A really handy tell as to whether a girl is catching the whip, per se... is with video review. Girls that do NOT work most of the flexion out at the bottom of the circle will not be able to follow-through straight to the target, naturally. Don't read this wrong... at release the elbow SHOULD regain flexion... but then this leads to extension. If they hold the angle into release, you'll see a follow-through that maintains bend in the elbow.

This is why BM wrote that you work (pull) the pinky down into release AND pronate the forearm.

Take a look at the 'straightening':

1z9j5s.gif

9j2mua.gif

2hdcgzt.gif

Which leads to a follow-through like this:

2mha0cn.gif

As a side note... I find the fingers flying up and to the right at the top of the follow-through (see the original gif on page 2 of this thread)... has more to do with the degree to which they are closed (more closed = more flying fingers). I'd be curious if others have noted this, as well...

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
Yeah... remember how I called M by the wrong name... this is that girl. Amazing similarities, huh?!

I would've bet money it was my DD. I still had to stare at it for a while even though I could see the catcher. I thought you must have worked some Photoshop magic...lol!

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY

I would've bet money it was my DD. I still had to stare at it for a while even though I could see the catcher. I thought you must have worked some Photoshop magic...lol!

Can I post a side-by-side? What's bizarre is that they are both wearing similar outfits, too!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Once again, Java has posted another stellar post. Can't thank you enough for the amount of time and preperation you put into posting such descriptive and easy to follow posts.
Much appreciated, James

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
This is insane... check out the similarities! And she looks great, drc... arms included. ;)

2egekol.gif

Even their hair is synchronized.

Apparently, I've a dress code in clinics... ;)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
This is insane... check out the similarities! And she looks great, drc... arms included. ;)

2egekol.gif

Even their hair is synchronized.

Apparently, I've a dress code in clinics... ;)

It must be her long lost twin...we have to get them together next time!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole