rear view ????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 7, 2014
Does any one have a good extreme close up of the release I need to compare something :)

needs to be of someone that gets good brush but close-up enough that I can touch her hand coming down the backside of the circle
:)

Thank you if anyone has this view for me

Nov 7, 2014
thank you ken I am trying to compare the wrist coming down the back side with my DD's.
My dd's fingers NEVER get behind the ball I am trying to nail down what she is not doing or if it is just mistimed with how she is doing it ...

If you understand what I mean...

I think my DD might be cupping it and rotating under and up the inside of the ball ...

6i60b6.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think my DD might be cupping it and rotating under and up the inside of the ball ...

I think you've described it well, but I'd be cautious of the cue "getting the fingers behind the ball." Learn to whip by pulling the ball with a loose, lower arm, then worry about spin. Do you happen to have a little higher quality video?

Nov 7, 2014
I think you've described it well, but I'd be cautious of the cue "getting the fingers behind the ball." Learn to whip by pulling the ball with a loose, lower arm, then worry about spin. Do you happen to have a little higher quality video?

Yea I do this is the only clip I pulled out at the moment but I recorded her at 60 fps in this vid I did not plan on uploading it usually I record her at 240 fps when I am going to upload it :)

I believe she is cupping her wrist and rotating her forearm after the ball is out or right as it is leaving But she has had this funny spin for a while and is having problems with her drop ball because of it.

I will record her next time with extreme close up of just of the release and see if I can nail it down just what is going on but I can not tell from either view side or rear. The rear does show the slight cup in her wrist.

If I had to guess

* cup in wrist
* Starting forearm rotation slightly late

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
There should be no other focus than:
-pull,
-loose from the elbow down and
-allowing whip to happen.

She is trying to make something happen. Set the stage with loose whip, then learn to harness/control it with brush.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I will record her next time with extreme close up of just of the release...

Close up isn't really necessary. Get as much light and use the highest settings you have available.

However, I'm excited about the opportunity to shoot some close up, HD video of various releases in the next few weeks. One of my parents is an avid hunter and is going to be filmed by guys with HD, low light cameras. Hoping to get in a couple sessions of taping some rise, drop, curve and change releases with some killer equipment. A dream come true for me...

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Yes, she's cupping her wrist, which in turn will eliminate some of the snap on release.
The bigger fish to fry here IMO, is the ground force generation isn't being transferred until after release. This is critical she firms it ALL up by the 9:00 position in order to be able to apply that energy in her arm through propper adduction. And she'll never reach the full adduction potential with out using the glove side to keep her body in cemetry. Stop pitching with focus on the arm. It's just the steering wheel. Focus more on the legs and torso. That's where the engine is....

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2014
Yes, she's cupping her wrist, which in turn will eliminate some of the snap on release.
The bigger fish to fry here IMO, is the ground force generation isn't being transferred until after release. This is critical she firms it ALL up by the 9:00 position in order to be able to apply that energy in her arm through propper adduction. And she'll never reach the full adduction potential with out using the glove side to keep her body in cemetry. Stop pitching with focus on the arm. It's just the steering wheel. Focus more on the legs and torso. That's where the engine is....

Your right James Truthfully that's all we do work on any more is her front side and as much as it is getting better it is still a while off.

James have you ever had to tell a student to slow her arm down ???

The only reason I recorded this view of her was to see her wrist and hand to see what was going on but she does not know why.
This is the first time she has done any work in 2 weeks. Her school ball stuff combined with the weather have limited it greatly.

Right now I am working with her on the focus of getting her front foot down quicker. and pushing back and trying to get her to limit how high her front foot gets IMHO she gets her front foot way to high. It is about 1.5 foot off the ground or maybe higher.

Jul 4, 2012
Dmaegan, I think you have mentioned on here before that you have all of Pauly's videos. Do you have the one on his crossfire drill? If so, I wonder if this would help her whip?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild