Rear Hip Drive/Thrust. Stretch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
In the model swings thread, there are a couple videos that I think might help people see some different things regarding the rear hip. Watch the rear hip, specifically when there is commitment to swing. Try to see if you can see stretch occuring between the top of the rear leg and the hip... between the lower half and the upper half. Try to recreate this feeling. There was a thread a bit ago about the stretch & fire drill and the slep HR has some really good "stretch & fire" actions. Just wanted to start a thread to bring more attention to it.

Washington's Amanda Fleischman, Slap Single vs. Auburn's Kelley Smiley, Slap HR

wvsaw8.gif
6yd0zd.gif

2q9kr2o.gif
2ngahr7.gif

Something to watch in the side view... watch how the hands load opposed to the rear leg in the HR swing but not in the single swing. (In non-slap swings, try to see the load of the hands against the front leg.) This helps keep the weight back and allows the hitter to stay in the hip better.... the hip can then be used as a source of power (the HR) rather than the arms (the single.) The degree of hand movement/load mimics the stride and the results "stretch & fire" is impressive.

(FiveFrame, the clips are great... gives me a much better understanding of the softball side and what is considered "high level" in this world.)

Last edited:

Bucketpapi

Banned
May 28, 2008
In the model swings thread, there are a couple videos that I think might help people see some different things regarding the rear hip. Watch the rear hip, specifically when there is commitment to swing. Try to see if you can see stretch occuring between the top of the rear leg and the hip... between the lower half and the upper half. Try to recreate this feeling. There was a thread a bit ago about the stretch & fire drill and the slep HR has some really good "stretch & fire" actions. Just wanted to start a thread to bring more attention to it.

wvsaw8.gif
6yd0zd.gif

2q9kr2o.gif
2ngahr7.gif

Something to watch in the side view... watch how the hands load opposed to the rear leg in the HR swing but not in the single swing. (In non-slap swings, try to see the load of the hands against the front leg.) This helps keep the weight back and allows the hitter to stay in the hip better.... the hip can then be used as a source of power (the HR) rather than the arms (the single.) The degree of hand movement/load mimics the stride and the results "stretch & fire" is impressive.

(FiveFrame, the clips are great... gives me a much better understanding of the softball side and what is considered "high level" in this world.)

Excellent post describing a rather difficult task to not only accomplish, but teach someone.
IMO a lot of people overlook what you are describing.

If we could get FFS to work his magic and produce side by side the clips comparing the hr swing vs the single swing we'd have the best thread posted on this website, IMO.

People should also understand it's not about slap hitting.

BD

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The real question is what are the hands\arms doing during the thrust? Are they reacting to the thrust or are they adding power (early bat speed) and hoping the hip grabs it?

4puiqq2.gif

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2010
Nashua, NH
For those who don't know, you can save these and view frame by frame. Right click on the image and "save as" and then open the file with Quicktime. You can then use the arrow keys to view frame by frame. Try to see and feel (not just see) and then get in front of a mirror and try to recreate it.

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio

wvsaw8.gif
6yd0zd.gif

2q9kr2o.gif
2ngahr7.gif

Tewks, Thanks for breaking down the swing. I was watching when she hit the HR. How strong was that? You don't see many slappers hit it over the fence. Maybe Caitlin Lowe?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I'm not so sure you're seeing what you think you're seeing here due to these being slappers. Good slapping technique calls for the hips to be facing toward the pitcher while the shoulders face toward the plate. This is done to send the ball through to the left side, in the 5-6 hole. You're also supposed to let the ball get deep to facilitate that as well.

That's in the ideal slap. If your timing is off, or you decide to try to loft the ball over the infield/into the outfield due to where the defense is playing you, you won't quite do that. I suspect that's what's happening here. The hitters went for distance rather than a classic slap. So the initial stretch is a function of slapping technique, not necessarily hitting technique. Not saying it doesn't happen on regular swings, or that it isn't present in these clips, just that's it's not such clear cause and effect here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00