Tying it together. Lag then chop, but the bottom half? Rich was half right.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
So I now believe that you get to bat lag by a massive pull of the core. You pull the knob down and forward. Like tug of war. Then you chop. Great got the upper body part, but how does this tie into the lower body?

My thoughts are the Rick is half right about the 1 leggedness. It is 1 leggedness, but both the front and the back leg experience the 1 legged swing. Rick talks about just the rear leg. I now believe the both the back and the front leg are 1 legged. Sounds weird, but if you take the 2 steps I mentioned above. 1. Get to bat lag. 2. Chop straight to the ball, then it started making sense to me.

The get to bat lag step is the rear leg one leggedness. Now Rich overbakes it but a lot of the things he says regarding this portion I think is right. He over bakes it by showing his foot off the ground, but you can be FYB and still be rear one legged. The Yet Back is how. When Rich demos the corner and shows how to get on plane I think that is right mostly. So to me take some of the concepts of Rich's one leggedness and get to Bat lag.

Once at bat lag position is where Rich is all wrong. Rich continues the back leg one leggedness all the way through and that is where he errs. That is why it always looks like he is falling over and back. Well that is because HE IS. The chop portion of the swing is front leg one leggedness. It is a hockey slap shot. Watch this video and then pay close attention to the action at 1:25. The rear leg is working back (scissor) in the chop portion.

Use Rich's ideas to get to lag, and then use the FRONT SIDE PROPERLY. Leverage it, swing into a firm front side. I am going to have my players today get to the lag position and then practice the hockey slap feel into the front side. As they chop I am going to want to see them get the front leg like a slap and I want to see the rear leg work back a bit. Just as a drill to have them feel the front leg one leggedness.

May 3, 2014
Easy to see the obliques working correctly in a slap shot or golf swing bc the swing plane is so steep.

The video says something about finishing with your hips facing the net when it should be your chest.

Nov 16, 2017

Forward Yet Back. Can you define what that means? Let me help here. You have made a forward move to the ball but your weight is still mostly back. You should be able to pickup your front foot pretty easily in the FYB position. That is the problem with the Rich followers is that they have to distort the opposing view.

I get it. He has to be novel to be "popular". So in the interest in being "novel" he over cooks all the good things her actually contributes. It is a shame really. But money is money and if you make a widget that everyone else is making, then why buy yours?

There is nothing new under the sun. A bible verse about men always trying to "recreate" the already understood. Everything you need to know about hitting was already out there well before Rich got involved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812