Rear Elbow ahead of Hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I read on here in a thread (sorry don't recall which one) a comment regarding a hitter's rear elbow getting ahead of the hands causing bat drag. Bat lag is a good thing as it helps generate power (whip) at least as I understand it. Can someone elaborate on this? I would like to incorporate this into a matrix drill but I am struggling with the verbiage.

Any takers?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Bat Drag:
images

BatDrag_002.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
'Bat lag', achieved correctly, is a 'good thing'.

'Bat drag' can lead to an out-front whip-like action, and it can deliver a forceful impact ... but it is generally considered a 'bad thing' as it leads to a 'longer' swing that will often see a hitter removed from the game as they attempt to play at higher levels.

The elbow leading the hands does not necessarily mean that there is 'bat drag'. See video clip of Ted Williams below.

2vbai9t.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I read on here in a thread (sorry don't recall which one) a comment regarding a hitter's rear elbow getting ahead of the hands causing bat drag. Bat lag is a good thing as it helps generate power (whip) at least as I understand it. Can someone elaborate on this? I would like to incorporate this into a matrix drill but I am struggling with the verbiage.

Any takers?

Bat Lag is a pass through position. Like a lot of different position in the swing sequence. What happens upstream is what gives a hitter whip, like 'turn the barrel'. JMHO.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

When the barrel is turned to the swing plane by rotation of the hands/forearms - rather than by movement of the arms independent of the torso - bat drag becomes a non-issue. Notice how Mig's hand stay in front of and connected to the rear shoulder. Arm movement is extension OUT FROM the torso, rather than AROUND the torso.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass

Any takers?

Most likely elbo ahead of hands is a sequence problem. Look into and fully understand what sequence means and ill bet you will solve this problem!

Incorporate what?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
'Bat lag', achieved correctly, is a 'good thing'.

'Bat drag' can lead to an out-front whip-like action, and it can deliver a forceful impact ... but it is generally considered a 'bad thing' as it leads to a 'longer' swing that will often see a hitter removed from the game as they attempt to play at higher levels.

The elbow leading the hands does not necessarily mean that there is 'bat drag'. See video clip of Ted Williams below.

2vbai9t.gif

This is a horrible example! Absolutely horrible! Wrong angle, one of the greatest hitters of all time if not the greatest, TW not doing anything similar to what the thread is about! Just awful!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA