Bat Against Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Any of you ever experimented with this for a struggling hitter? Seems like most great hitters get to this position, handle on shoulder, back elbow down, front elbow up. I have a net in my garage, just experimented with it and it seems like a very solid simple position start. And I can generate a ton of power and put a good swing on the ball from this position. I am just referring to the bat position in the pic below, obviously not the body. Feels like it's easier to use my back in this position as well and whip the bat through the zone.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I like the barrel-on-the-shoulder (aka - "neck slot") for young hitters. Especially ones with DBSF issues. Use the hands/forearms to turn the barrel off the shoulder to contact.

May 12, 2016
I like the barrel-on-the-shoulder (aka - "neck slot") for young hitters. Especially ones with DBSF issues. Use the hands/forearms to turn the barrel off the shoulder to contact.
So what I am referring to is a little different than neck slot. I'm talking about laying the handle on the side of the shoulder, not the top

Dec 15, 2012
When my DD was younger, she used to place her bat on her shoulder and lift the bat about two inches. This was a good reference point to get into the same position each at bat. This made her swing more repeatable, level, and more compact with hands inside the ball. The bat was off her shoulder before the pitcher started her motion.

Apr 12, 2016
Any of you ever experimented with this for a struggling hitter? Seems like most great hitters get to this position, handle on shoulder, back elbow down, front elbow up. I have a net in my garage, just experimented with it and it seems like a very solid simple position start. And I can generate a ton of power and put a good swing on the ball from this position. I am just referring to the bat position in the pic below, obviously not the body. Feels like it's easier to use my back in this position as well and whip the bat through the zone.

View attachment 14493
Did he forget to turn the barrel?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
If you start from the position in post #1 pic, that usually leads to bat drag. I have seen entire teams of 8U hit like this.

The Epstein deltoid drill is the same as Pic#1.

These drills also only use the 'coil out' move. Nobody needs help coiling out. Almost everyone needs to learn to coil inward. This drill is a terrible idea.

Time is your enemy. If one can't break bat drag, it's a fatal flaw, and a kid won't advance.

There are two things that every kid in America should be working toward every day - killing bat drag, and coiling inward.

Don't make your kid sad. Make them happy :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478