Bat Against Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Would neck slot or laying on bicep help hitter feel connection between hands and upper half or is connection the result of something else?

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
There is to many variables per player to have only one way of accomplishing the end goal. More than one way to skin a cat as they say.
The problem with using this philosophy for everything related to hitting drills/techniques/cues is that most of them are backwards, or destructive, or don't usually work.

The reason there are so many variables per player is precisely because most drills/ideas don't work for every player, or even most. If they were good drills they would work for everyone, and be simple to explain.

Let's take the issue of teaching coiling inward. I have tried, and many others try 'sitting', or 'crimping their hip', or 'feeling the inside of the rear leg', or similar. The problem with these drills/ideas is that you can use them and still coil open. Sure, they click for a small minority of people, but they are a dead end for most.

Putting a board, or balls, or a line behind a kid to stop 'stepping out of the bucket' sounds like a great idea (I did this for years), except that this almost always kills the stride in most kids and fixes the wrong thing. I have never seen a kid learn to coil in doing this. Another dead end.

Neck slot is the same. The idea is great in order to make better contact for a 8U/10U season, and I'm sad to say that I did this one year. But Dads should take the long approach and be working every day at fixing bat drag. The neck slot idea wastes an entire year for that kid.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
The problem with using this philosophy for everything related to hitting drills/techniques/cues is that most of them are backwards, or destructive, or don't usually work.

Let's take the issue of teaching coiling inward. Many try 'sitting', or 'crimping their hip', or 'feeling the inside of the rear leg', or similar. The problem with these drills/ideas is that you can use them and still coil open. Sure, they click for a small minority of people, but they are a dead end for most.

Putting a board, or balls, or a line behind a kid to stop 'stepping out of the bucket' sounds like a great idea (I did this for years), except that this kills the stride and fixes the wrong thing.

Neck slot is the same. The idea is great in order to make better contact for a 8U/10U season. But Dads should take the long approach and be working every day at fixing bat drag. The neck slot idea wastes an entire year for that kid.
You are certainly consistent.. ;)

Oct 2, 2017

Let's take the issue of teaching coiling inward. Many try 'sitting', or 'crimping their hip', or 'feeling the inside of the rear leg', or similar. The problem with these drills/ideas is that you can use them and still coil open. Sure, they click for a small minority of people, but they are a dead end for most.

Putting a board, or balls, or a line behind a kid to stop 'stepping out of the bucket' sounds like a great idea (I did this for years), except that this kills the stride and fixes the wrong thing. Another dead end.

Neck slot is the same. The idea is great in order to make better contact for a 8U/10U season. But Dads should take the long approach and be working every day at fixing bat drag. The neck slot idea wastes an entire year for that kid.

Neck slot etc. are not dead end roads. They are just a spring board. They are only dead end if that's all you focus on.

The idea is not for making better contact with the neck slot. At 8u/10u its to establish how independent parts Hand, arms, shoulders, core etc. stay in connection while moving. Which better contact is a byproduct of.

No one is arguing that a Dad should not work on Bat drag for a long term solution. That's just a given. But these things like neck slot help especially younger players get a feel of connection in the top half. I've said it many times, as a dad that has a 8u DD that they DO NOT understand feeling their body. So you have to put them into a position to be able to communicate effectively what it is that you are teaching them to do.

May 12, 2016

Putting a board, or balls, or a line behind a kid to stop 'stepping out of the bucket' sounds like a great idea (I did this for years), except that this kills the stride and fixes the wrong thing. Another dead end.

What your thoughts on coachjsoriano and all the success he's having with kids of all ages using the neck slot handset? Just have to look at his Instagram page to see the results.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
What your thoughts on coachjsoriano and all the success he's having with kids of all ages using the neck slot handset? Just have to look at his Instagram page to see the results.
How do you define 'success'? I just looked at a few on the top of the main page? (I don't use Instagram) and I saw bat drag, coiling open, and a golf swing/ barrel dump.

May 12, 2016
How do you define 'success'? I looked at a few on the main page (I don't use Instagram) and I saw bat drag, coiling open, and a golf swing.
Like you said.. "it's fun hitting bombs to the outfield" :)

Lots of content on his Intsagram page that define success, they might not all be his students, but most of them are neck slotting or a variation of it

Jun 8, 2016
How do you define 'success'? I just looked at a few on the top of the main page? (I don't use Instagram) and I saw bat drag, coiling open, and a golf swing/ barrel dump.
May I suggest you never take a Rorschach test because I do believe an answer of "bat drag" will end up with you in a padded cell..just looking out for you here man.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
watching my beloved Yankees this season, I am noticing Gleyber Torres in the box.
He continually drops the bat head down to make contact with his rear shoulder,
(in a slow bouncy rhythm)
while hes awating the pitch in the box.

not the same as a static "neck slot" set,
but I wonder if his movements are a manifestation of something similar?

I think there is one other Yankee batter that I have noticed using a similar but a little less pronounced techinique.
(Mayben, maybe?)

Maybe hitting coach Marcus Thames instructs this?

Oct 2, 2017
watching my beloved Yankees this season, I am noticing Gleyber Torres in the box.
He continually drops the bat head down to make contact with his rear shoulder,
(in a slow bouncy rhythm)
while hes awating the pitch in the box.

not the same as a static "neck slot" set,
but I wonder if his movements are a manifestation of something similar?

I think there is one other Yankee batter that I have noticed using a similar but a little less pronounced techinique.
(Mayben, maybe?)

Maybe hitting coach Marcus Thames instructs this?

I've seen some of the dodger players, tap the bat to their shoulder during their gather and stride also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2