Bat Against Shoulder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Bat against the tip of the shoulder,

giphy.gif

I always thought the deltoid drill was a good way to remove the arms while allowing one to feel the body whipping the barrel... If GB was actively ttb from this position wouldn't the hands and arms disconnect from the bodies momentum to whip the barrel ?

May 12, 2016
I always thought the deltoid drill was a good way to remove the arms while allowing one to feel the body whipping the barrel... If GB was actively ttb from this position wouldn't the hands and arms disconnect from the bodies momentum to whip the barrel ?
That's exactly how I see it as well.. and when I swing the bat while doing this drill(not focusing on TTB) that's exactly what I feel, the body whipping the bat big time. It's pretty cool when you feel this happen and IMO can be a big light bulb moment for many hitters.

Also there were concerns about this drill causing bat drag.. just like any starting position, bat drag is not an issue if done correctly.

Reactions: TDS
Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I don't disagree with that. Thats part of the whole TTB debate...that I like staying out of because its so much about what one feels.

IMO....In the rear deltoid drill your taking out the "running start"...I personally want hands very active by then...in fact I want them active in slotting the rear elbow.

If I focus on torso quickness..I feel feel the body pull the hands/whip barrel too...but feel like my hands need to be more active.

When I focus on hands TTB...I feel like my torso automatically speeds up. I am sure my sweet spot is somewhere in between the two...depending on pitch.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
That's exactly how I see it as well.. and when I swing the bat while doing this drill(not focusing on TTB) that's exactly what I feel, the body whipping the bat big time. It's pretty cool when you feel this happen and IMO can be a big light bulb moment for many hitters.

Also there were concerns about this drill causing bat drag.. just like any starting position, bat drag is not an issue if done correctly.
Have used it many years and have not experienced bat drag as an issue.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I don't disagree with that. Thats part of the whole TTB debate...that I like staying out of because its so much about what one feels.

IMO....In the rear deltoid drill your taking out the "running start"...I personally want hands very active by then...in fact I want them active in slotting the rear elbow.

If I focus on torso quickness..I feel feel the body pull the hands/whip barrel too...but feel like my hands need to be more active.

When I focus on hands TTB...I feel like my torso automatically speeds up. I am sure my sweet spot is somewhere in between the two...depending on pitch.

I want the hands active as well but want them to be in sync with the core. For me the hands and forearms have all they can do to steer the momentum once the whip begins..

I think theres a swing pattern dependency element involved as well.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Poor upper body loading causes bat drag. More so an inefficient top hand. Causes DBSF as well.

I can see how one can get ‘drag’ from the deltoid drill.

I have used the deltoid drill. It creates ‘dumb’ hands and relys on the ‘turn’ too much. Swing direction suffers. Amongst other things. Tier B mechanics. Jmho.

Aug 20, 2017

In the deltoid drill you can work on pushing hands back some during stride to help with running start. Do tee work with hands in middle of body, slow stride and work knob to catcher maintaining the barrel against shoulder. Make sure they tilt and stay in good posture

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I want the hands active as well but want them to be in sync with the core. For me the hands and forearms have all they can do to steer the momentum once the whip begins..

I think theres a swing pattern dependency element involved as well.
I don't think TTB negates the sync of the hands and core...nor does it break the kinetic chain. The kinetic chain speeds up to keep that sync. jmho

May 12, 2016
This is a position most great hitters get to.. the handle may not touch the deltoid but I think one can understand what this drill promotes.

Drag can enter the swing .. period. I do not believe this drill promotes bat drag

I believe this drill helps create connection.. not so much dead hands. Again most great hitters get to this position during their sequence and I have no problem with swing direction when performing this drill.

Feel the whip powered by the core. It guess it all depends on how this drill is performed as well

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I don't think TTB negates the sync of the hands and core...nor does it break the kinetic chain. The kinetic chain speeds up to keep that sync. jmho

Here is an example of the hands in sync with a pulling core

n4ST9Ik.gif

Example of ttb where the rear leg/hip is attempting to keep up ?

UkxTy83.gif

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812