Rain, rain, and more rain...what do you do??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD has missed 3 practices in a row due to, yep...you guessed it, RAIN. We don't have any set up for rainy days. Garage is out of the question (not enough room). Yes, there are indoor facilities that we could use, but the cost adds up...especially with Nationals at the end of the month. We are worried about staying in shape and warm...so what do you do? We do have a membership to the gym but they do not have facilities to do softball workouts. LOL.

DD is 12U now, but going up to 14U in Fall.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I knew a team that rented the largest storage unit available. They were able to do their hitting stations, in it. Cost was $125/mo. and it was month to month.

I am guessing that you have considered churches that might have room for a limited practice?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Try playing in Oregon or Washington lol. Very rare does a Tournament get canceled, maybe pushed back. Anyway for your question, have you tried any of the local schools? Many times their gym is open (all the ones I have delt with only had 1 rule; you had to use the softie balls)

Oct 10, 2011
Our team sends out an e-mail asking if the parents will chip in $10.00 each to use the cages. A lot of times someone will pitch in an extra 10 or so. I know that we have not missed a practice yet because the parents always come through.

Jul 26, 2010
iMlearning has it right. The parents usually will go out of their way to help out here.

Honestly though, if you live in an area where rain is expected, indoor fees should be included in your TB team fees and your team should have a handful of facilities they can reach out to.

If all else fails, do sliding practice in the rain. They're kids, not witches, they won't melt.

-W

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
iMlearning has it right. The parents usually will go out of their way to help out here.

Honestly though, if you live in an area where rain is expected, indoor fees should be included in your TB team fees and your team should have a handful of facilities they can reach out to.

If all else fails, do sliding practice in the rain. They're kids, not witches, they won't melt.

-W

Haha...we are in Houston, Texas. While the rest of the country was burning in hell temps, we have been experiencing below avg temps with storms daily. We can't slide in it when there is thunder/lightning in the vicinity. As far as facilities, I think the biggest challenge is finding available space...we have a lot of teams fighting for space as it is now with the rain.

I'm going to ask gym if we can use tennis balls in the mat room (enclosed room where people normally do floor exercises).

Jul 26, 2010
That's a good idea. I've done agility training in the local 24 hour gym mat room before. I have the kids bring their gloves and I'll roll tennis balls on some of the cone/hurdle based drills. It's hard to do fielding or position work, but at least they're doing something as a team to make them better athletes.

-W

Rain

DD has missed 3 practices in a row due to, yep...you guessed it, RAIN. We don't have any set up for rainy days. Garage is out of the question (not enough room). Yes, there are indoor facilities that we could use, but the cost adds up...especially with Nationals at the end of the month. We are worried about staying in shape and warm...so what do you do? We do have a membership to the gym but they do not have facilities to do softball workouts. LOL.

DD is 12U now, but going up to 14U in Fall.

DON"T THE SCHOOLS HAVE GYMS?SINCE YOUR A TAXPAYER ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ASK!!!!!!WE use two middle school gyms and one elementary gym.There are a million drills you can do in the gym.S.anchez Alb.N.M

Jul 9, 2009
IL
Take plastic whiffles and/or total control whiffles and/or 16" mush balls, a tee, and find the nearest cul-de-sac or paved parking lot.

Use the tee along with front toss and your daughter can get in a ton of swings.

I walk out my front door and pitch to my daughter. My neighbors even throw the balls we lose in their bushes back in our front yard for me:)

You can also throw as needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi