Question for you Texas types: What's the Scrapyard/Ronald McDonald like?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Wondering what the Scrapyard is like as we heading to Houston this weekend for the Ronald McDonald and most of the girls have never played on turf before. The tourney director says no limitation on cleats but do girls play with metal cleats on turf there? Any other tips on the fields there or the tourney? Thanks in advance!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The Scrap Yard facilities are very nice and I believe that you will enjoy it. There are several turf/grass hybrid facilities in and around the Houston area that we have played on. You can play with metal cleats on the turf, but it is up to the girls whether or not they like it or not. I would recommend that they bring a good pair tennis shoes in case they discover they don't like the feel of the metal cleats on the turf. They will have to be very careful when sliding. The first couple of times the girls will slide past the base and into the dugout if they are not careful. No bad bounces other than high choppers from the slappers. The fan seating is about 8 feet above the field of play which is kind of cool. I don't know if they have running water/sewer up and running yet due to issues with the local authorities. Last time I was there, they had a very nice trailer/temporary restroom with A/C. Another benefit: I enjoy not having sludge on my ankles from the clay, sweat and sunblock. The weather should be stellar this weekend. Good luck.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Would you believe we live 15-20 minutes from these fields and have never laid eyes on them? LOL. But I concur what Orange says about turf...bring some good tennis shoes (or turf shoes) in case they don't like it (metal cleats can snag depending on how they walk)...and yes, you can slide...and slide and slide (oh crap there goes the base). LOL. Just be ready to grab the base and hook it.

Anyway that is where all of our games are this weekend. Grateful for that because I know some teams have to travel to two different ballparks.

Jul 1, 2010
Just returned from there for 16U RM. Very nice facility. The restrooms are some of the nicest I've seen at a softball field and great concessions. "Copper" has field level viewing as well as upstairs viewing. "Iron" fields have a cleat level underground type view as well as an upper level.
DD had never played on turf that allowed cleats, but had absolutely no problems pitching or sliding. As others have said bring turf/tennis shoes just in case.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
They did some very extensive research when choosing the turf and the underlay of the turf. DD had no problem pitching or playing in metal. The greatest part is NO RAIN OUTS, at least from muddy fields. The upper level is awesome and there is plenty of shade. DD played for May for a while and the vision they had for the complex was awesome, but I have not been seen it since last fall. The most incredible thing is that it's just a couple of dads that love ball that got together and made it happen!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan