Just when you thought you have seen it all.... covid related

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
This past weekend we played in a decent sized tournament in Kansas. We played a nationally known org (ill leave the name out) first pool game. This was a utrip tourney that they entered with a 19-3 record IN USSSA. The tournament DID NOT provide balls of any kind. During the first couple innings it was brought to my attention the opposing team was throwing a red laced ball. One huge downside to these covid rules is that the teams can bring and throw any ball they please. We assumed that each team would follow utrip rules and throw utrip balls.... when I asked the ump about he actually went off on me telling me to mind my own team it was allowed because and i quote "the tournament didnt provide balls and the opposing team did not have any UTRIP balls"... i then offered them a few of ours and was denied, telling me to go back to my dugout.... now when you travel all over the US just getting back from a large Texas utrip tournament you expect me to believe they dont have any UTRIP balls with a 19-3 utrip record? Not only did this UTRIP tourney allow ASA balls of any kind, it allowed ASA bats (blue ghosts), NFHS softballs, and NSA balls. Pretty much if you had it you could use it. Now i am a ball junky from my slowpitch days and know ball types and associations matter in regards to how far a ball flies especially in certain weather types. I am pretty easy going coach in regards to adapting to the situation or umpire but this one baffled me.

Whats keeping a team from throwing a mush ball if they umps flat out didnt care or even want to touch a ball? There was a distinct sound different from what my girls were hitting compared to the UTRIP thunder heats we were pitching. The fact the ump reacted like that to me asking about allowed equipment really chaps me.

I brought it up to the tourney director who basically said anything was allowed and that there was no difference in bats or balls and to just play ball... So after that i made it a point to ask at each opening conference what was allowed on that field. Not one team from out of state (tournament was %80 out of state teams) brought a blue seam ball with them.... we were told due to covid that they could not find them in stock....

like to hear your opinions on this?

Mar 7, 2016
So I assume you won that game? 😉

HAHAHA... aside from the fact I was now on the umps bad side and calls did not go in my favor at that point would not have changed the outcome of that game. Good team and Ill give credit where its due.

It doesnt help when your girls dont show for an 8am game and the errors outpaced the hits.

Jun 8, 2016
It doesnt help when your girls dont show for an 8am game and the errors outpaced the hits.
No worries my DD's team hates 1st everything, game of the day, game of pool, game of bracket (this one is particularly painful), tournament of season, etc..

May 16, 2016
Unlike Slow pitch, the fastpitch ball specifications are identical between ASA and USSSA.

Size: 12"
COR: .47
Compression: 375 lbs.

Different manufacturers use different materials. Your Dudley Thunder heats are polyurethane center, where a Rawlings dream seam is high density cork. So, that might explain the different sounds.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Unlike Slow pitch, the fastpitch ball specifications are identical between ASA and USSSA.

Size: 12"
COR: .47
Compression: 375 lbs.

Different manufacturers use different materials. Your Dudley Thunder heads are polyurethane center, where a Rawlings dream seam is high density cork. So, that might explain the different sounds.
Nice Detail !!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28