playing for money?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Im all for it. I always felt like I wanted to play the best because you don’t get better playing opponents the same or weaker than you. when the other team brings in a ringer if we can’t beat the other team we don’t deserve to win. As far as how winnings are dispersed. I wouldn’t play for an organization I didn’t trust.

Mar 20, 2019
I'm such a newb.
Awe come on anyone with UNC in their handle should already know how to play the system...... They have a freshman seminar on.... Then again attendance isn't mandatory for an A..... I kids I kidd.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Awe come on anyone with UNC in their handle should already know how to play the system...... They have a freshman seminar on.... Then again attendance isn't mandatory for an A..... I kids I kidd.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

We were cleared. :p

Aug 21, 2008
Hillhouse back when Lisa Fernandez and the like were playing with the Brakettes they were not playing for money and they weren't flying back and forth they would come to Connecticut for the Summer and their housing would be paid for and they would get Summer jobs for them. They would also get per diem while on the road.

Not sure I buy that. I mean, I know that's the story being told for the reasons of keeping AMATEUR status but, I highly doubt thats the reality. Nobody is supposed to be paid in men's softball either but it happens. Players aren't coming to North America for 3 months and not making money. I didn't pick up and move to Seattle or Baltimore for summers for the "love of the game". I could've loved the game elsewhere. Like everything else, it came down to money.

Lisa could've very easily played for a Cal team or somewhere close to home. There is a reason good players gravitate towards one team or one sponsor. I know the romantic notion is that it's all about the game and playing for the best and against the best but it's not. She could've done that from anywhere. Also, I happen to know she commuted from LA to CT too. So she may have lived there for a summer or 2 but, she also commuted for a summer or 2.

Feb 7, 2014
My dad played for the The Farm Tavern in Madison, Wisconsin and I've heard many stories that Bill talks about here - the good ones get paid !

Aug 21, 2008
My dad played for the The Farm Tavern in Madison, Wisconsin and I've heard many stories that Bill talks about here - the good ones get paid !

YoungBuck, I'd be VERY curious who your dad is. I bet I know him, or know of him.

I was lucky enough to play for The Farm too. We finished 2nd at the Nationals that year, losing to some guy who coaches at Texas now. What can I say, he got very lucky. lol.

Jun 26, 2020
Not sure I buy that. I mean, I know that's the story being told for the reasons of keeping AMATEUR status but, I highly doubt thats the reality. Nobody is supposed to be paid in men's softball either but it happens. Players aren't coming to North America for 3 months and not making money. I didn't pick up and move to Seattle or Baltimore for summers for the "love of the game". I could've loved the game elsewhere. Like everything else, it came down to money.

Lisa could've very easily played for a Cal team or somewhere close to home. There is a reason good players gravitate towards one team or one sponsor.
This statement is very very true. The best players in any given sport get a few bucks. When I was in college the tooth fairy would swing by every week and put two or three $100 bills under our pillows. That was for track baseball. Perks are everywhere at all times

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not sure why, but the first thing I thought of is how differently the parents would act in the stands if they knew the team was playing for a cash prize. It may be entertaining ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying