Tournament #3...because I know you all like the fodder..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Actually, we came in third in this one. We won our first two games in pool play. The first one was an ugly win but a win nonetheless 11-9. Second game was 1-0. That team was just full of bad attitudes. They complained after every pitch, had a baserunner call my 1B a B**ch for reasons unknown. The first base coach argued over every call, it was ridiculous but the team played well and took the close game.

The third game was fun. We went down 6-0 after the second but either these girls were the best hitting team I have ever seen or were lucky. They hit balls every where we weren't. I'd move the fielders and they would hit it to where they just were. The first pitcher was really good. We got a couple of hits but no runs so they switched her out after the 2nd. I guess they were comfortable at 6-0 which if they did their homework on us was probably a good call...Second pitcher was good too but after she got two outs, the walk bug hit her. From the 3rd it didn't look like she was missing by much but we 4 back before they decided to put P1 back in. We got another 4 off of her so we scored 8 with two outs. I love two out rallys except when they happen to us! So we are up 8-6 at this point. They get another two back and it's now 8-8. Time expires and blue says no new inning will start after this one. We are the visiting team. I have the top of the order up. First batter draws a walk. Second batter gets on with a base hit. Runners on 1&3. Third batter up (my DD) called first strike. Second pitch just foul down the left field line....of course I was hoping for the fair call as the ball went into the corner. Easily would have scored two. Dang it. You all know the feeling I had at that moment. Next pitch is a pretty fastball........that heads halfway up the trees that were behind the fence in centerfield!! Happy coach, extremely proud dad!! Up 11-8. My pitchers ran out of gas. Bad coaching on my part. We had games at 3:30, 6:30 and 8 that night and my pitchers wanted to come see the level of competition we would be playing at the "C" level and got there at like 9 in the morning. They just flat ran out of gas. Ended up losing 12-11 but it was a fun game and we didn't roll over and went down fighting.

The good thing about me being there early on Saturday was I got to scout the other bracket. The team we ended up playing on Sunday had a pitcher that threw 95% change ups. She had a decent fastball though and against the level of hitters she was facing, the CU was quite effective. We only got one run off of her which happened to be on a CU that DD bombed over the fence again in the bottom of the first. Another proud poppa moment! Lost this one 7-1 but we came in 3rd overall so finally a decent weekend for us!

The thing that concerned me the most was all of the obstruction calls. It was almost to the point that if our hitters swung the bat, they would get called for obstruction of allowing the pitcher to pitch to the catcher. We had 6 obstruction calls. One was on a double play when the runner wasn't even 2/3's to second. Blue said she obstructed the throw. Another was on 1B as she had her foot on the edge of the white base waiting for a throw from third. Another was on a throw from SS to first with a runner on second. After the throw, the runner headed to 3 but apparently the SS was in her way? Not sure how as she charged the ball and was damn near in the back part of the pitchers circle. It was a debacle. The only obstruction I saw was one that the umpire told my catcher she was right in how she made the play. My players were asking me how to stand to receive throws and I couldn't tell them. I was asking the umpires what the deal was and I was getting lame rear excuses. For example, the play from 3 to 1, the blue said 1B couldn't be on the base until a throw was made.....really. Are you frickin kidding me? I got mad. I was angry with the umpires and let them know.

This weekend was full of learning experiences for me as a coach and the players. Now we saddle up and get to work during indoor conditioning/practice. Can't wait until the spring!!

Jun 22, 2008
Im not completely following some of your descriptions of obstruction calls.

Blue said she obstructed the throw.

Little more description on this play please. Did your batter get called for obstructing a throw by the catcher?

It sounds like the umpire was a little obstruction happy. Just having a foot on the base is not necessarily obstruction. The runner must actually be impeded for there to be an obstruction call.

Jun 1, 2013
So that was your first C tournament since dropping down? Sounds as if it was the right call to drop down. Congrats on third place. Have you realized the difference in attitude from your players after losing? I bet they took these losses in C a lot better than the ones in B! I know you did...lol.

As for the umps, they probably had special instructions to watch for obstructions by the TD or UIC and went overboard trying to comply.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Im not completely following some of your descriptions of obstruction calls.

Little more description on this play please. Did your batter get called for obstructing a throw by the catcher?

It sounds like the umpire was a little obstruction happy. Just having a foot on the base is not necessarily obstruction. The runner must actually be impeded for there to be an obstruction call.

The throw was from 2nd to 1st. Player was running from first to second on a ground ball hit to SS. SS ran over and tagged 2nd and threw the ball to 1st. Runner at 1st was safe but called out because the umpire said that runner heading to 2nd impeded the throw. She was a good 10-15ft away from the base. Is she supposed to duck?

On another play, a ball was hit in the gap between CF and RF. Batter was going for a double. SS straddled the base when receiving the throw and tagged the runner out. Ump called her safe because SS was obstructing the base. Batter had perfect access to the base and slid in. The only obstruction I saw possible was if runner didn't slide and attempted to take third.

Same situation with a different batter and a runner on first. The hit was a shallowish pop fly to the same gap. Runner on 1st wasn't tagging up because this ball easily could have dropped and it did. RF bobbles the ball so runner heads for 3rd. I had SS position herself on 2nd like a 1st baseman receiving a throw. Foot was on the edge of the bag facing center. After the bobble, she didn't move because she didn't think (nor would I) she was in the way. Runner was easily out at 3rd but again, obstruction.

I just couldn't make any sense of the calls being made. What made it worse were the terrible attempts at an explanation by the umpires. I understand that you all get grief from everyone. I don't say anything or rarely question calls. When I do, I am calm and not demeaning, I just want an explanation. I shake hands with the umpires before and after the games and thank them. To me, missed calls either way are a part of the game unless it is an obvious wrong call. After obstruction number two, I asked the umpire where I should position my players on those plays and all he kept saying had to do with where the ball was. The one question that was never answered was if the fielder is expecting a play (for example on a steal) don't they have same "rights" to the base as the runner. I understand if there is no play to be made but in the act of a play being made, they should have the ability to cover a base. Not block, cover.

Easton-Yeah, it was our first C tourney. The players that were bummed about losing were still bummed and the others were the same but the overall feel was better. It was definitely the right call but I'm hoping to progress out of it by the fall.

Jun 22, 2008
The throw was from 2nd to 1st. Player was running from first to second on a ground ball hit to SS. SS ran over and tagged 2nd and threw the ball to 1st. Runner at 1st was safe but called out because the umpire said that runner heading to 2nd impeded the throw. She was a good 10-15ft away from the base. Is she supposed to duck?

Defense obstructs, offense interferes. This would have been an interference call, not obstruction. Would have to see the play in person to see if the runner did anything to intentionally interfere, but the runner cannot just dissappear off the field when they were put out at 2nd. As long as they didnt do anything to intentionally interfere with the throw I just have a bad throw by the defense, live ball play on.

On another play, a ball was hit in the gap between CF and RF. Batter was going for a double. SS straddled the base when receiving the throw and tagged the runner out. Ump called her safe because SS was obstructing the base. Batter had perfect access to the base and slid in. The only obstruction I saw possible was if runner didn't slide and attempted to take third.

Another had to be there, but just because the fielder gave access to a side of the base does not mean they havent impeded the runner. There is no requirement for a runner to slide, so this is purely umpire judgement as to if the runner was hindered or not.

Same situation with a different batter and a runner on first. The hit was a shallowish pop fly to the same gap. Runner on 1st wasn't tagging up because this ball easily could have dropped and it did. RF bobbles the ball so runner heads for 3rd. I had SS position herself on 2nd like a 1st baseman receiving a throw. Foot was on the edge of the bag facing center. After the bobble, she didn't move because she didn't think (nor would I) she was in the way. Runner was easily out at 3rd but again, obstruction.

Again, purely umpire judgement but not sure I would have obstruction based on description of play.

The one question that was never answered was if the fielder is expecting a play (for example on a steal) don't they have same "rights" to the base as the runner. I understand if there is no play to be made but in the act of a play being made, they should have the ability to cover a base. Not block, cover.

The only time the defense has the right to impede a runner is if they are fielding a batted ball. Other than that the defense cannot impede any runner unless they are in posession of the ball. The umpire cannot tell you where to put your fielders because they can be anywhere they want, but, if they are not fielding a batted ball, or do not have physical posession of the ball they cannot impede the runner.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Between this explanation and your explanation of base path and base line in the other thread make this a bit clearer for me but I will admit that I don't fully understand it. They way I am taking the explanation, right or wrong, using stealing 2nd as an example, the SS or whomever is covering the base isn't able to straddle the bag because it could impede the runner.

Don't feel obligated to try to explain it to me, I'll figure it out eventually. I do appreciate it though.

Jul 2, 2013
I would guess it's a holdover from the World Series.

Check. We had a questionable obstruction call the day after the MLB WS. A fan called out after the play "you must have been watching the World Series Last Night!". Umpire got mad, went to dugout and warned the coach. They were all pretty overboard, and tense about it on "obstruction".

Jun 11, 2013
The calls aside, it's great to see you found a good tournament to play in. Going 2-2 and no game more than a couple of runs off seems like a pretty good match of teams. Good luck in tourney #4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp