playing for money?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2019
It's a slippery slope to major ramifications with the NCAA, if that's your goal. I don't know how the new rules will change that but right now I'd wager that's the biggest reason you don't see it.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Nov 29, 2009
I truly wonder if this system would work. Thoughts?

The short answer, I believe, is No.

There are a lot of things that do not make it appealing from a parent/player perspective. It has the potential to cost players a lot of lost scholarship money.

Given a normal recruiting year. There are many players playing HS ball who are not finished until some time in June. That gives then 8 weeks to play in showcases trying to impress a college coach enough to offer them a scholarship. With the cost of college now days it can be worth up to $125K for some players, if not more. It's usually less. During these showcases the coaches are able to put the girls who need to be seen on the field without jeopardizing the team's position in the tournament. A lot of the rules are relaxed to give them the ability to do so.

With the NCAA shrinking the recruiting window in the fall it makes playing in front of the coachs even more important. I don't think too many programs would be interested in spending $15K to travel across the country to try and win $10K.

The REAL value to the players is the potential scholarship money. IF a coach's decision was based on trying to win $10K it could impact some players on the team. There would be a lot of unhappy campers.

Oct 4, 2018
My other DD is a very competitive rider (horses). They give out small cash prizes at many events. They have one event called The Classic. Score is from 0 to 100 and anything over 80 is amazing. I've never even heard a score in the 90s.

She's won it a few times. She got $20. It was pretty cool.

Aug 21, 2008
The short answer, I believe, is No.

There are a lot of things that do not make it appealing from a parent/player perspective. It has the potential to cost players a lot of lost scholarship money.

Given a normal recruiting year. There are many players playing HS ball who are not finished until some time in June. That gives then 8 weeks to play in showcases trying to impress a college coach enough to offer them a scholarship. With the cost of college now days it can be worth up to $125K for some players, if not more. It's usually less. During these showcases the coaches are able to put the girls who need to be seen on the field without jeopardizing the team's position in the tournament. A lot of the rules are relaxed to give them the ability to do so.

With the NCAA shrinking the recruiting window in the fall it makes playing in front of the coachs even more important. I don't think too many programs would be interested in spending $15K to travel across the country to try and win $10K.

The REAL value to the players is the potential scholarship money. IF a coach's decision was based on trying to win $10K it could impact some players on the team. There would be a lot of unhappy campers.

Sparky, how would this effect their scholarships? The players don't win the money, the team does. It's considered "Travel expenses". And, perhaps I'm in the minority but coaches flock to places like the Colorado tournament(s) for scouting and recruiting, right? So, name me a college coach that wouldn't want to see the very best teams in one location against each other? If Team XYZ goes to play in a random tournament in Houston, they might crush their first 3 opponents on Saturday and not even see a competitive game until later on Sunday as the bracket dwindles down. In my scenario, EVERY game is one of the best vs. the best. And it's easy to say "We already have that with a National championship" and that's true. But coaches are always wanting to play the best for competition right? To prepare for that National tournament. We see it when a 14u team plays up an age to 16u. They do this to get better. What if they didn't have to do that?

And I have no idea if this would work either. I'm only asking if it's been done like I"m suggesting.

And while we're at it, lets put in a beer tent, beer garden for the parents to sit in during tournaments. And if anyone is going to say "You can't serve beer at a youth tournament!!!" Then they clearly don't look to closely at what moms/dads are drinking in their lawn chairs at tournaments and in the hotel parking lot at night. :)

Bill

Nov 29, 2009
Sparky, how would this effect their scholarships? The players don't win the money, the team does. It's considered "Travel expenses".

If college coaches are there to see players, a younger, non-committed player may not get a chance to be seen by a collage coach because the TB coach is trying to win the prize money. The TB coach could be playing is older and committed girls to win the cash foregoing the younger player who needs the exposure. The younger player misses out on the opportunity and a possible scholarship offer.

I know if I was a parent and my DD's #1 school choice was there to watch and the TB coach did not giver her the opportunity to show her skills due to money being a factor I'd be VERY unhappy.

Now, if you have a team full of committed players. That's a different animal altogether.

Mar 6, 2016
So...all that begs the question...just as is happening now in the NCAA. The athletes have been getting zilch while the coaches and colleges are getting millions. Now the athlete is finally getting their share.

If the "prize money" all goes to the TB organization and the coach....why doesn't the player get a fair share? Seems like the same archaic way it was for college athletes until Ed O Bannon and others sued for their fair share to profit on their abilities and performance.

Id be pissed if as a parent I paid all this money to a tourny and my DD team wins..and the $$ goes to the head honcho of the TB organization or coach?? Whats the kickback to the players and families?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If college coaches are there to see players, a younger, non-committed player may not get a chance to be seen by a collage coach because the TB coach is trying to win the prize money. The TB coach could be playing is older and committed girls to win the cash foregoing the younger player who needs the exposure. The younger player misses out on the opportunity and a possible scholarship offer.

I know if I was a parent and my DD's #1 school choice was there to watch and the TB coach did not giver her the opportunity to show her skills due to money being a factor I'd be VERY unhappy.

Now, if you have a team full of committed players. That's a different animal altogether.
The events with $ just add to the mix of venues available.

There are already events like you described where winning is the goal not showcasing everyone.

Then there are showcase everyone events.

*At the very top of 18u pretty much most
(if not all players on some teams) are already recruited.
On the other end
Young teams already doing the $ events.

Oct 4, 2018
So...all that begs the question...just as is happening now in the NCAA. The athletes have been getting zilch while the coaches and colleges are getting millions. Now the athlete is finally getting their share.

If the "prize money" all goes to the TB organization and the coach....why doesn't the player get a fair share? Seems like the same archaic way it was for college athletes until Ed O Bannon and others sued for their fair share to profit on their abilities and performance.

Id be pissed if as a parent I paid all this money to a tourny and my DD team wins..and the $$ goes to the head honcho of the TB organization or coach?? Whats the kickback to the players and families?

Yeah, hopefully it would all be explained before any family decided to join the team. Money tends to make things worse, right? In this case, it would/could change which tournaments teams enter, which girls get to play, etc. On the surface I'm not a huge fan of it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Considering not all teams are ran the same shuffling the roster.
Examples
Being on a top team with a large roster where players already dont shuffle all the time at tournaments.
Or team where players have to earn a spot...and dont shuffle all the time.
People make the choices to play on teams like this.
That said
The team i know of who plays $
events Won several times with
only 11 on the roster.
Everyone played plenty.

If the debate is not getting playing time that happens in any s.b. venue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom