Question for College Coaches or others who know

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 13, 2010
Is it a good idea to put information about college camps a player attends or plans to attends on their player profile sheet?

I am concerned this can be detrimental for an uncommitted player. If they go to a lot of camps does that look bad? My concern is that if a coach is really interested in a player they may think they don't have a shot if the kid is going to a dozen or more camps or showing too much interest in a rival school.

On the flip side, what are the positive reasons why a coach would want to see this?

The reality is most of these kids are still figuring things out and trying to do their research, I just don't see the benefit of including this on a player profile but would like to know what I don't know.

Thank you.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would recommend listing showcases where multiple college coaches will attend, but would not list individual school camps.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Depends on the intent of the information on the profile sheet. If its meant to tell the prospective coaches where they can see you play then yes.

Keeping in mind they cant freely attend a private school camp.

Profile sheets can be overwhelming with information. Im frequently told "whether for a team or individual keep it on one page and hole punch it for me please." Handing a coach a handful of papers is cumbersome-ever notice they all are carrying a backpack and a 3 ring binder? If they see 100 teams in a day where do they put the extra info???? On the table in the meeting area, in the trash.....their options are limited.

Last the profile sheet is a means to get your foot in the door. Use it for that purpose as further information should be in the players followup email.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
As a general rule I would not include information about camps at specific schools unless it is open to all coaches. There is a time to work conference rivals but it needs to be done very selectively.

Sep 17, 2009
Profiles are selling your DD to coaches. Does that info -- or any info -- make her more or less appealing? Nothing to say you can't personalize a profile when you send it to a particular school, for instance listing camps you've gone to in a region or conference to show interest....etc.

Apr 13, 2010
One other question. Assuming it all fits on one sheet, is it a good idea to include desired major, community involvement, or other interests? Or just keep it pure softball and school accomplishments?

Aug 9, 2015
Thats all fine but make sure to list the important stuff.... Act or sat score, clearinghouse info, gpa
. Coaches are always looking for solid athletes with good grades and scores to help with the scholarship $$$ since there's only so much to go around in an equivalency sport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877