Question for coaches!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
DD is sort of in the Bizzaro World version of OP. She’s a pitcher, and considers OF her secondary position. But she’s a really good infielder: quick to the ball, handles hops well, strong arm and makes good decisions.

TB last year (14U) she played every inning in CF that she wasn’t pitching. The regular SS was a horror show, and parents were upset that the coach didn’t put DD there at all. In MS ball, DD played every inning at SS that she wasn’t in the circle.

First game of HS this year, she played the whole game at 3B. Bottom line: embrace the opportunity to get reps all over the field. As a pitcher, other spots will always be part-time so the broader her skill set the more valuable she is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Can understand with teams who have a pitcher that is essential to them being competitive and not wanting to put them in another position where they could get injured. Or heat exhaustion.

That might be the main consideration of a pitcher playing another position or not.

May sound harsh separating a competitive pitcher catagory from the average basket of pitchers.
However there is a point where
a competitive pitcher can really help a team.
Pitchers who are average to each other are not as directly related to controlling the circle aspect.
Reality is with a basket of average pitchers considering who plays where on the defense may be more important.

This is where sometimes average pitchers start recognizing they do not have what it takes to be that competitive pitcher as they get older and they may do better at a defensive position rather than the circle. With that some may recognize the situation and put more work into pitching.

Jun 20, 2015
at my last AC job, the HC's DD was the starting pitcher. When she wasn't pitching, she was the starting SS (LH, no less). She always batted in the top 3 spots. Off the field, she healed the sick, raised the dead, and walked on water. To this day I feel ecstasy to have been graced by her presence. 🤣
😛
Lefty playing 3b or SS is "No bueno"

Jun 8, 2016
You can get away with it until your athleticism isn't enough to overcome the mechanical disadvantages playing those positions LH impose. Jayda Coleman won National Gatorade Player of the Year and played SS as a lefty (of course that isn't an award given for defensive prowess but she played SS for her high level Texas Glory TB team as well..)

Jun 8, 2016
ok, that's one out of how many millions?
Like I said, it will work until there is a kid who is as athletic as you (with good fielding mechanics) who is RH. Typically by the time 14U comes around you won't see many LH players in the infield outside of 1B. Next time I will just give you the (y)
and move on without trying to add to the discussion..my fault.

May 9, 2017
At what age would a coach expect the player to come to them with questions? My DD (14) has an issue and questions about her playing position. She was put into the outfield this year from playing SS all last year and having 6 errors on the year, makes almost all of the winter practices, practices at 150%. SS is now held by a new player that has only made 1/4 of the practices and made over 6 errors in the first weekend of a tournament. DD is a shy girl and is not the type to cause trouble or questions. So the big question is....should I push her to ask him?? Or as her parent should I bring it up?? Or should she keep quiet and just play where she is? Whats expected here?

thanks for your
At what age would a coach expect the player to come to them with questions? My DD (14) has an issue and questions about her playing position. She was put into the outfield this year from playing SS all last year and having 6 errors on the year, makes almost all of the winter practices, practices at 150%. SS is now held by a new player that has only made 1/4 of the practices and made over 6 errors in the first weekend of a tournament. DD is a shy girl and is not the type to cause trouble or questions. So the big question is....should I push her to ask him?? Or as her parent should I bring it up?? Or should she keep quiet and just play where she is? Whats expected here?

thanks for your opinions!
Granted, I’ve only coached rec ball but some of the programs I’ve been in were the equivalent of B level travel teams. With that said I’ve always encouraged players to ask. I’ve gone to practice early to work with players that were interested in pitching but had NEVER played the position to show them the basics. If it was my kid I’d tell them to ask for help to get better at infield but at the same time own the outfield position and show maximum effort doing the little things like backing up. When my daughter isn’t catching she’s usually in left and once she’s not in the play she’s flying to backup 3 or the left side of 2 depending on situations. It’s also a good opportunity for mental reps because she’ll have a good view of the field and can think “in that situation what would I do”

Oct 14, 2016

thanks for your opinions!

I didn't read all the responses but I will comment on just this posting.

As a HS/Select Coach, I will move players to where I think they will best serve the team.

Here is one example of moving your daughter to the outfield. Just as you say, she has a good glove. In the competitive select/travel realm at 14 and up, the outfield is not the place to put any weak or weaker player.

Let's say, your coach put her in right field. The coach may have picked up a faster pitcher, thus expecting a lot of games where the other team will be late with timing, thus hitting to the right side of the field. Your DD is now extremely important to support the pitcher. When she (pitcher) creates a pop-up, she can be confident knowing her right fielder has her back.

Let's say the coach put her in left field. Knowing the weaker SS, having a good glove as a back-up prevents extra bases on a miss. Now, the coach can keep the offense to singles instead of doubles and triples.

As a coach, I can, with all confidence, tell you that where your daughter plays on select/travel/HS has little bearing on where she will play in college. I would suggest talking with your daughter about how she can support the team wherever the coach places her. It is and always will be about the team.

Jan 22, 2011
My DD doesn't like playing 3B, but she was the 2nd best option last year and 3rd best option this year in HS. Last year the starting 3B was the P2, so my DD played 3rd when she pitched.

Her favorite position is RF, but she mostly plays 1B.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles