Question for coaches!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2021
At what age would a coach expect the player to come to them with questions? My DD (14) has an issue and questions about her playing position. She was put into the outfield this year from playing SS all last year and having 6 errors on the year, makes almost all of the winter practices, practices at 150%. SS is now held by a new player that has only made 1/4 of the practices and made over 6 errors in the first weekend of a tournament. DD is a shy girl and is not the type to cause trouble or questions. So the big question is....should I push her to ask him?? Or as her parent should I bring it up?? Or should she keep quiet and just play where she is? Whats expected here?

thanks for your opinions!

May 17, 2012
Is it travel, school, or rec?

If it's travel then your expectations should meet the coaches expectations when you agree to a spot on the team. SS would be very specific position vs. say which OF position. It's one thing if she is slumping it's another if he/she has found a new SS.

I

Sep 28, 2021
Is it travel, school, or rec?

If it's travel then your expectations should meet the coaches expectations when you agree to a spot on the team. SS would be very specific position vs. say which OF position. It's one thing if she is slumping it's another if he/she has found a new SS.

I
this is travel

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
At what age would a coach expect the player to come to them with questions? My DD (14) has an issue and questions about her playing position. She was put into the outfield this year from playing SS all last year and having 6 errors on the year, makes almost all of the winter practices, practices at 150%. SS is now held by a new player that has only made 1/4 of the practices and made over 6 errors in the first weekend of a tournament. DD is a shy girl and is not the type to cause trouble or questions. So the big question is....should I push her to ask him?? Or as her parent should I bring it up?? Or should she keep quiet and just play where she is? Whats expected here?

thanks for your opinions!
Encourage little kids to speak up and ask questions so I would say from little kid age.
A fourteen-year-old would absolutely expect to be able to speak up for themselves and ask questions.
Think that's part of Parental Guidance and encouraging their kids to use their voices.

Players who ask questions and engage in conversation come across as students of the game and willing to do more than follow. I like when players step up and ask questions because they are engaging.

Yes I would encourage her to have a conversation with the coach. If anything she can get some more insight on her role on the team and find out what types of things she can do for goals.

Sep 28, 2021
might add, only spot she has been guaranteed is pitching. I dont believe any of the other players are guaranteed spots other than pitchers. B level team

Jun 20, 2015
obviously, the coach thinks that new player B is better at SS than Player A was. OR maybe was promised something that was not shared with you.? OR coach wants to be able to swap OF & Pitchers and leave SS at SS all the time?

Lot's of differences and variables. And batting order issues will prolly be next. I can tell you from experience on my 18u teams. they are all on their HS teams right now batting in top 1-4 of batting order. Come June, SOMEBODY is going to be batting 13,14 & 15 (if they are all present). I expect all to do their jobs at the plate. Be that a called bunt, or smashing the ball. I organize batting order for team to have best chance to score the most runs and win. PERIOD.

Jan 25, 2022
School coach. We told the kids at the beginning of games that they may get moved around. Our 2B from last year really is still the best 2B option, but we put her in the outfield because we couldn't make routine catches with most of the other girls and she suddenly got a lot better at fly balls. She didn't like it, but she didn't complain. She's back at 2B again now because a brand new girl has a crazy small learning curve in the outfield. It worked out great in the end, but we have to plug up the biggest holes. Your kid's coach may just find her more valuable in the OF. Personally, any kid we have on the field regularly doesn't need to be worried about where we put them. They need to know they're out there because they're valuable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812