Question for coaches!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Can understand with teams who have a pitcher that is essential to them being competitive and not wanting to put them in another position where they could get injured. Or heat exhaustion.

That might be the main consideration of a pitcher playing another position or not.

May sound harsh separating a competitive pitcher catagory from the average basket of pitchers.
However there is a point where
a competitive pitcher can really help a team.
Pitchers who are average to each other are not as directly related to controlling the circle aspect.
Reality is with a basket of average pitchers considering who plays where on the defense may be more important.

This is where sometimes average pitchers start recognizing they do not have what it takes to be that competitive pitcher as they get older and they may do better at a defensive position rather than the circle. With that some may recognize the situation and put more work into pitching.
This x 10,000. Very, very well said.

Dec 19, 2021
Much of this comes down to a matter of player development vs. "Best for the team". There is a time and place for both.
Personally I don't think at that level it is good to stick a player in one position and leave her there. They should all learn multiple positions. If they have set positions for bracket games so be it, but move them around on Saturday.

As a parent, I want my kids to see the world so to speak, so in HS or wherever they have a good idea how to play whatever position they are asked to play.

Some more questions:
- Some time has passed now. Is the situation still the same? Sometimes a new kid gets a bunch of time at a position so coach can find out what she has, and sometimes the new kid is so nervous her first outing that she boots a bunch of balls.
- Why does she not like OF? Too boring? Not prestigious enough? To far from all her teammates?
- What would she do if the new girl really was better?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee