Question for coaches!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I would encourage your daughter to speak up for herself. Best to learn how to speak for yourself at a young age. There are a lot of things in life that a person is uncomfortable doing at a young age. In general, the more they do something that is uncomfortable the easier it becomes.

If she does not learn how to speak for herself now, what happens in high school, or college when she doesn't speak up for herself? Before you know it she could be scared to speak up for herself during her working years, and continue to be walked on like a door mat.

I know I am making a lot of generalization with this response. Just giving a scenario that could possibly happen. Not saying that the coach is treating her like a door mat at this time either.

Jun 8, 2016
Here is the deal about SS. Some kids just look like SS..the way they move, how smooth they are, etc. Typically this will result in better results but even it doesn’t a coach is going to have a hard time getting past the eyeball test. Would you describe the current situation that way?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
At what age would a coach expect the player to come to them with questions? My DD (14) has an issue and questions about her playing position. She was put into the outfield this year from playing SS all last year and having 6 errors on the year, makes almost all of the winter practices, practices at 150%. SS is now held by a new player that has only made 1/4 of the practices and made over 6 errors in the first weekend of a tournament. DD is a shy girl and is not the type to cause trouble or questions. So the big question is....should I push her to ask him?? Or as her parent should I bring it up?? Or should she keep quiet and just play where she is? Whats expected here?

thanks for your opinions!
At 10 she should be able to ask “how am I doing” “what can I do to play more” “what can I do to try a different position!” Based on what the coach says then maybe mom or dad gets involved.

By 14 mom and dad should be the ride to the practice. Leave and come back to pick her up. What is your dd’s goals in softball? If she wants to be a college player then yes she should ask the coach what does she need to do to get SS position back

Feb 13, 2021
MI
School coach. We told the kids at the beginning of games that they may get moved around. Our 2B from last year really is still the best 2B option, but we put her in the outfield because we couldn't make routine catches with most of the other girls and she suddenly got a lot better at fly balls. She didn't like it, but she didn't complain. She's back at 2B again now because a brand new girl has a crazy small learning curve in the outfield. It worked out great in the end, but we have to plug up the biggest holes. Your kid's coach may just find her more valuable in the OF. Personally, any kid we have on the field regularly doesn't need to be worried about where we put them. They need to know they're out there because they're valuable.
This ^^^.

I agree that at 14U that parents should be there for support and transportation. Part of that support, may be mentioning that, while she may be the best choice at SS, it might be that she is the ONLY choice in the OF. And since she is primarily a P, the way to contribute to the team the best is to go where she is needed most.

Mar 7, 2020
Please remember that at ages 10u - 13u players can still get away with poor technique and be successful. As the player ages into HS, the runner speed picks up, balls are hit harder, poor technique becomes an issue. So to keep the bat in the lineup the player is moved to the OF.

I have seen this happen from TB coaches I know. They pick up a kid who knows how to play SS but doesn't hit all that much. Run prevention is worth more than runs scored to some coaches.

Oct 3, 2019
obviously, the coach thinks that new player B is better at SS than Player A was. OR maybe was promised something that was not shared with you.? OR coach wants to be able to swap OF & Pitchers and leave SS at SS all the time?

Lot's of differences and variables. And batting order issues will prolly be next. I can tell you from experience on my 18u teams. they are all on their HS teams right now batting in top 1-4 of batting order. Come June, SOMEBODY is going to be batting 13,14 & 15 (if they are all present). I expect all to do their jobs at the plate. Be that a called bunt, or smashing the ball. I organize batting order for team to have best chance to score the most runs and win. PERIOD.
obviously, the coach thinks that new player B is better at SS than Player A was. OR maybe was promised something that was not shared with you.? OR coach wants to be able to swap OF & Pitchers and leave SS at SS all the time?

Lot's of differences and variables. And batting order issues will prolly be next. I can tell you from experience on my 18u teams. they are all on their HS teams right now batting in top 1-4 of batting order. Come June, SOMEBODY is going to be batting 13,14 & 15 (if they are all present). I expect all to do their jobs at the plate. Be that a called bunt, or smashing the ball. I organize batting order for team to have best chance to score the most runs and win. PERIOD.
Or, coach thinks that player A is a better asset in the OF. She probably has a strong arm and is able to cover a lot of ground. If the OF is weak, you need someone who can run balls down in the gaps, back-up and make a throw from the fence. Not too many on a young team can do that. Hopefully this is coach's reasoning.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
This ^^^.

I agree that at 14U that parents should be there for support and transportation. Part of that support, may be mentioning that, while she may be the best choice at SS, it might be that she is the ONLY choice in the OF. And since she is primarily a P, the way to contribute to the team the best is to go where she is needed most.
I agree to a certain extent. School ball is one thing but travel is another. I don’t mind occasional OF rotation but if my daughter is the best SS and her position is SS, I expect her to play SS a good majority of the time. It’s not her fault that the coach can’t field a competent OF. Again, I understand school ball can come with its own issues but this shouldn’t happen in TB.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
At what age would a coach expect the player to come to them with questions? My DD (14) has an issue and questions about her playing position. She was put into the outfield this year from playing SS all last year and having 6 errors on the year, makes almost all of the winter practices, practices at 150%. SS is now held by a new player that has only made 1/4 of the practices and made over 6 errors in the first weekend of a tournament. DD is a shy girl and is not the type to cause trouble or questions. So the big question is....should I push her to ask him?? Or as her parent should I bring it up?? Or should she keep quiet and just play where she is? Whats expected here?

thanks for your opinions!
Not clear how long new SS has been around. Here are my guesses. Coach wanted to add player(s)/money to his roster and this player came along and as part of the negotiations, coach promised the players parent she would get time at SS. So, if your shy DD is by far the better SS then I would encourage/tell my DD to inform coach that she believes she is the better SS and would like playtime at SS to prove it. I would follow it up with an email. And GC stats if needed. And I would not except, "I need you in the OF." If the coach needed an OFer he should have added an OFer.

The other guess might be that somebody put in his head the idea that there is no such thing as a P/SS. PO, P/1st, P/OF and Maybe P/3rd but no P/SS. Same people think pitchers can't/shouldn't hit.

As a coach of a 10U rec team and trying to move into coaching tourney ball, I welcome questions and feedback from my players. I always want to get information from them so that I can know whether I am helping or hurting their progression. Kids are actually highly intuitive and can provide great feedback when given the forum to do so.

I think it should be encouraged for them to speak up and ask questions. I personally rely on stats not looks. You can generally see whether a kid is athletic or not, but attitude and heart more important to me. I think it depends on the coach ultimately. Either they will be receptive or they won't and if they aren't maybe start looking elsewhere. I don't think your DD should be afraid to voice her concerns. As coaches we are supposed to be teaching life lessons as well, and one of those lessons is empowering our players to speak up and speak out (respectfully), but as a coach we need to learn to accept that as well.

I will also state that player positions should be interchangeable. I think this is where the parents start to become nightmares, it is a team sport, it isn't about your kid. Yeh we all pay a ton of money to do this, but if we maintain the team mentality and work together we win together. In the same token if everyone is out for what they can get out of it then we all lose together and are miserable together. There is no one position on the field that is more important than any other, and winning teams work like a well oiled machine. My kid catches, and is the better of my two catchers, but I pull her out and let the other catcher catch because if not she won't ever get better. I stick my kid in out field, 3rd base, wherever. Hell she even rides pine when I need her too.

Ultimately your DD will never know the reason for the move if she doesn't ask.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802