Question about other sports and club softball commitments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 7, 2013
Tried to find more info about this situation with no luck so I thought I'd register here and get the answer straight from the source.

A close friends daughter is just starting her senior year. She's been playing Varsity and Club Softball since she was a freshman, while not a "blue chipper" she clearly has some college interest and should make it to the next level on scholarship. She works insanely hard on her softball and is an AP student with a high GPA.

She's also a reasonably decent forward in Basketball - but not scholarship material there.

Now she's been with this club team since she was a frosh - made all the trips to Vegas, Denver and god knows where else - been a grinder for her coach and the Club since day one. Her parents kicked in all the money when asked, did all the boosting and whatever else was requested. When she played B-ball last year and it caused her to miss a practice, she sat. She knew she would sit and so it was a calculated decision on her part.

This year as I said she has college scouts looking at her, she has the highest OBP and batting average on her team and she has a gun from 3B. And she wants to play basketball. So that's gonna cut in to some practices for the Club Team, and the coach is already talking about benching her.

What would you guys do? The girl plays B-ball to stay in shape and that team, while a marginal bunch of white girls, needs her. Don't college softball teams desire a multi-sport athlete when evaluating talent? Why, knowing what this family and this girl has dedicated to this Club, would the coaches not try and find a working solution that's a win-win for both parties? She's a Senior and she has her furture on the line with this Club. I get benching her as a Junior, but there's too much invested by both sides to do that now.

Plus she's a kid - shouldn't she be able to have some fun shooting hoops with her GF's? I played D1 college football in the late 80's and 90's so I know a little about pressure, and I'm sorry.... this is not that. Let the kid play basketball is my thought, but it looks like this Club stuff is serious, so maybe I'm off base.

Maybe the Club Softball world should say, up front and in writing, that other sports are banned......?

What would you guys/gals do? What have you done before? I have no clue about this stuff whatsoever and I just want to help this kid.....

Jul 2, 2013
We faced it. We changed to a travel team who also has multi-sport athletes, in this case volleyball.

For this fall, we are playing in all the Tourney's. Six (6) more to go this fall. But do not have practice, in the fall.

That is the beauty of travel ball, if you live in an area that has a bunch of choices.

The big org's want you to only play softball. The primary coaches get payed every time they step on the field. So, for them it is practice, practice, and more practice. If you don't practice, others may not want to, and they lose income.

You also need to rethink this "invested" and "so much on the line" thinking. They don't really care. That is what they are telling you, but not directly. They also do not have any control of what is on the line for your DD. She determines much of that by her play.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
A little more information about the team would help. Is this a Gold team, college showcase team, or an 18U team that plays tournaments but not necessarily showcases? What is the stated purpose of the team? I can think of a couple of high level teams in this area that have players from other states where missing a practice here and there comes with the territory.

I don't bench players for missing practices for in-season sports, particularly in-season HS sports. If a kid misses practice, and no one steps up to take her place in the line up or on the field, it's still hers, that simple if you preach "the best kids play". If she's working hard on her own and no one on the team is better, I don't see how you sit her.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sounds like this is a serious travel ball team with all the traveling. I'd be shocked if they didn't have written rules outlining their expectations and consequences. My question is whether this girl is burned out on SB and see basketball as a fun and necessary break. Softball (or any sport/activity played seriously year round) can lead to a case of burnout. You never want to feel you're playing a sport because you "have to" - it should be because its fun or you want to. If this is the case, then basketball is a much needed diversion now.

IMO, the most important question is what does this girl (not her parents/coaches/peers) really want out of college? You mentioned scholarships so that's D1 and D2 and softball can feel like a job if a kid isn't into it 100%. With a strong academic background and multi-sport interest, a D3 may be a much better fit for this kid. A school like Tufts, the defending D3 champ, or another NESCAC-type D3 school could be an excellent option if this girl truly aspires to be a serious student/multi-sport athlete.

Nov 29, 2009
Maybe the Club Softball world should say, up front and in writing, that other sports are banned......?

At some point a player has to decide if they are softball player who plays (Insert sport) or a (Insert sport) player who plays softball. Until she makes the decision and the appropriate adjustments to her schedule and priorities she'll be torn and confused.

I believe a player should/can play other sports but they should also have a priority set when setting off on their journey. I've lost players to other sports over the years. I've never begrudged a player's decision to play another sport full time. It's the players who waffle back and forth who end up hurting the teams in both sports.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Most of the seniors would have their college scholarship in their hands. So, is it possible that the girl's parents think that she is better than she is?

I would have no problem with her playing a school sport, if I were her parent. The TB rules are what they are. And there is probably another underclassman wanting her time at 3rd base, too.

She should be aware of what coaches are coming to see her and let them know that she might not play, because she was at basketball.

Jul 2, 2013
It's the players who waffle back and forth who end up hurting the teams in both sports.

The world of youth sports has changed, and softball is the same. Playing two sports is not waffling. It is not a character flaw. There is a growing segment of travel softball folks who want their players 24/7, 365 days out of the year. Who think high school softball gets in the way. Let them have it. For some it works, for others ....

Find a team that fits your goals. They are out there, as there are many multi-sport athletes. These players just structure "their" travel organizations to fit their need. And neither is better than the other, because in the long run, play what you love, maybe get a scholarship, maybe not, but don't pay a travel team a whole bunch of money, sit on the bench, because the org. does not fit your needs.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
She is a Senior. She knows the deal with these teams since she went through it last year as a Junior. No sudden surprise here.

It is her decision to make. What does SHE want. You say she made a calculated decision last year so I assume she will make a calculated decision this year (maybe a different decision, maybe not).

Everything else in the original post (parents, previous fund raising, possible scholarships, college interest, club policy, etc etc,) is irrelevant.

The end.

Sep 7, 2013
wow thanks for the great replies. I guess this is a college showcase team. and the last poster really nails it - at the end of the day it's all about what she wants. but then she's 17.

and all that other stuff is not irrelevant - unless you're a robot.

the end.

Nov 29, 2009
These players just structure "their" travel organizations to fit their need.

Unfortunately, it's not "their" organization. It belongs to all of the players on the team(s). I have no problem with players playing multiple sports. I have a problem with a player's decision that effects the rest of the team. A player trying to play two in-season club sports at the same time is doing both a huge disservice when they make a decision to miss team functions for one over the other.

Missing team functions in season and not expecting consequences is a backhanded way of putting themselves above the rest of their teammates on both teams. Call me old school, but I do believe in the team concept when it comes to sports and commitment. There is no I in team, but some players like to use the M & E in it. That thought process completely disregards the girls who've made the choice to play one sport and dedicate themselves wholly to that sport and team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32