Practicing power and speed before accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2012
I am a parent/coach and have been my daughters primary pitching "coach" since she was 10 and is now in her first year of college ball. I admit to making more than my fair share of "mistakes" but WE did the best we could with what we had which means youtube, pitching aids and as many lessons and clinics we could afford to attend (which is not very many by comparison to some other pitchers she has competed against and beat)....that being said I have been working with my daughters high school "successor" and she is extremely raw but a strong and dedicated kid. To my question: I have seen it said on some pitching videos that power and speed should be taught before accuracy. the argument being that its easier to find accuracy after speed vs trying to find speed after focusing on accuracy. I have been helping this kid with the basics...stride, snap, timing, etc and she is showing some good progress but we need to begin transition to getting some power and speed along with accuracy of a greater degree.
I am stumbling to get this out clearly for your opinion but would appreciate any input. I have been using alot of what I have read here in my daughters continued progress and will incorporate it in my workings with the kid I am working with now.

Jan 27, 2010
I suggest you post a video of this young lady and you will receive much imput. If you or her parents do not wish to reveal her identity. have her wear a pitching mask. JMO

Jul 26, 2010
When I teach young kids (8-10yo), I teach them to throw hard and we'll work on the accuracy as we go. I do this so that their mechanics remain consistent and we won't have to teach and relearn things as they adjust from throwing less then full speed to throwing all out.

For a high school aged kid though, I'm not sure I would use this same philosophy. In a high school game, walking batters regularly is not acceptable. In a 10u game, it's almost expected.

-W

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I read something interesting on here a couple days ago, concerning the rules, and score keeping. A ball in the dirt should be scored as a wild pitch. So it all depends on how you keep score.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I believe if you focus on proper fundamental mechanics you can work on speed and control simultaneously. Cheri Kempf stated as much in her book as well. Notwithstanding the total botch NPF had with its championship this past season, she is recognized as someone who was a pretty good pitcher.

As to PC's post - WTH??

Nov 29, 2009
As to PC's post - WTH??

Just a random squiggle that landed on his keyboard.

To my question: I have seen it said on some pitching videos that power and speed should be taught before accuracy.

EXACTLY!!!! What I teach kids is to find their physical limit and work from there. I do not push "Throw Strikes" at the beginning. I want them focusing on delivering the ball, not where it's going. What I find is once they get their mechanics right at the pitchers plate the rest of the pitch takes care of itself and they start putting the ball where they want it.

Too many kids are waaaayyy too comfortable thinking a 75% effort is good enough. I push them to feel comfortable at 95 -100% and to be able to work for extended periods of time at that level. Once they are able to do that it feels like 75% to them. I've read more than one interview with rookies in the NFL where they say the game has slowed down for them. When, in fact, the game has not slowed down at all. They have adjusted to speed of the game and how to execute at that level.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Speed and accuracy aren't things you teach. What is taught is the right way to throw the ball - which includes throwing HARD. If they learn that, and they practice, they will have all the speed and accuracy that God intended them to have, imo. :)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
WTH....You two never heard of keeping score. Kempt & football ?

Random... the question from the OP is...logic of teaching..."power & speed before accuracy?". I was taking into consideration different needs of every girl being unique. The different schools of thought just on here, not to mention the illiterate folks still teaching pitching. What I was trying to convey is that which ever works best for each individual, there are spring practices, friendlies, then the full blown tournament games. In other words, no matter how much power & speed you have taught, your work will be judged by the ump & both teams score keepers. Not to ruin your theoretical rondevu but if you can't keep them out of the dirt first, then not give up more than two BB per inning, and call errors wild pitches instead of pass balls... you need a revision in your methods... Spot, Spin, Speed IMHO !

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I read something interesting on here a couple days ago, concerning the rules, and score keeping. A ball in the dirt should be scored as a wild pitch. So it all depends on how you keep score.

I got one for you, how would you stat a "called" ball in the dirt? Happens often in higher levels of baseball with runner(s) on. Top notch catchers use this in their arsenal. I'm sure Greenmonsters could elaborate being an former catcher.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I not being a score keeper, and a person who has to pull teeth to see them, without any previous High Level experience would "stat" it an error. I do keep Perfect Stats Archives, that can be argued for centuries though. Here is an inning... tell me if you could keep the books with my notes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-hqCSyjLA

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06