Practicing power and speed before accuracy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
So lets look at drop balls and change ups. We know that these are supposed to be in the dirt, especially on 0-2 counts. If the catcher fails to block, is it a passed ball or wild pitch?

-W

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
So lets look at drop balls and change ups. We know that these are supposed to be in the dirt, especially on 0-2 counts. If the catcher fails to block, is it a passed ball or wild pitch?

-W

Per NFCA scoring guide they are considered WPs. The reality is you need to throw those pitches and, regardless of how you score the ones that get by the C, the result is the same - runners advance. A top catcher's objective always should be WP+PB=0. The catcher's mindset should be to catch or block every pitch and let nothing get by, period. A good catcher will make the pitcher better by allowing her to have the confidence to throw all her pitches in any situation, including that 2-strike drop with the winning run on third.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Per NFCA scoring guide they are considered WPs. The reality is you need to throw those pitches and, regardless of how you score the ones that get by the C, the result is the same - runners advance. A top catcher's objective always should be WP+PB=0. The catcher's mindset should be to catch or block every pitch and let nothing get by, period. A good catcher will make the pitcher better by allowing her to have the confidence to throw all her pitches in any situation, including that 2-strike drop with the winning run on third.

Well its been a great day! Greenmonster went along with one out of only 2 of my paragraphs, and kept me from getting snuffed on this one. Sure glad that the person I quoted on here was at least half right... spent an hour trying to find it and couldn't.

tojo said he couldn't believe it, but he almost agreed with me today.... scary!!!

You know I'm not going to shut up & count my blessings and go to bed.... "Where's Screwball ???" just kidding

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Tell throwing hard matters more at age 10 than accuracy to the amazingly strong and talented young lady who walked in 8 runs in one inning for us this past weekend. She would disagree. She throws hard but lacks accuracy. WHY??? Cause her core fundamentals are off. I agree with whoever stated that we should focus on form and the fast and accurate will come.

EDIT:
She was crushed at her effort. I had to really try and be positive and supportive. She will be awesome eventually. I just want hope she can remain patient while she is developing. Sometimes at this age they are harder on themselves then many of us realize.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
tojo said he couldn't believe it, but he almost agreed with me today.... scary!!!

Tojo is a lady. :)

GM is right. But how come we don't use dirt balls much in FP? Once you get to college baseball, the DB starts to become a factor. Is it the base distance? Usually the DB is a breaking ball ( curve to stay down ), think about runners OB. Pitch in the dirt?? Yea, I'll comment more tomorrow.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Tell throwing hard matters more at age 10 than accuracy to the amazingly strong and talented young lady who walked in 8 runs in one inning for us this past weekend. She would disagree. She throws hard but lacks accuracy. WHY??? Cause her core fundamentals are off. I agree with whoever stated that we should focus on form and the fast and accurate will come.

EDIT:
She was crushed at her effort. I had to really try and be positive and supportive. She will be awesome eventually. I just want hope she can remain patient while she is developing. Sometimes at this age they are harder on themselves then many of us realize.

Tough one on both ends. Try telling a spot pitcher who lets one get right across the middle and she gets crushed, HR. I think it has to be worked out in the backyard first, then in team practice. Letting one player take the hole team out, without the others getting a chance to even make a their one play won't work long.

I think we can all agree that no matter how you do anything, if you do it over and over you can perfect it. Even the wrong way. I believe it boils down to just reps. A spot pitcher will practice more because, first she's not dealing with hurting anyone else. 2nd its not hurting her.
If a flamethrower threw 100 pitches a day, she would be developed. But I'm guessing the reason for not doing it is something hurts. If you can't let her throw batting practice, I'm guessing she likes her teammates. Seen it from both ends.

Jan 27, 2010
Goingdeep, don't tell my wife of 30 years and my 3 children that I'm a lady.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I not being a score keeper, and a person who has to pull teeth to see them, without any previous High Level experience would "stat" it an error. I do keep Perfect Stats Archives, that can be argued for centuries though. Here is an inning... tell me if you could keep the books with my notes...
Perfect Stat Book - YouTube

At the risk of further hijack. A passed ball is a passed ball, its not also recorded as an error.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors