Posting Team Stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Should a team post hitting, pitching and fielding stats for all to see?

It will make some of the players happy and others will not be happy. What is best for all players?

I keep the stats for my DD's club team and stats were given out last fall with everybody's information. There were some dejected kids.

This year I am suggesting that we give stats out to the players via email to each parent with their child's stats only versus the team average. I think stats are useful and interesting. I just don't want it to be a de-motivator for the bottom half.

Jan 24, 2011
I post our stats (14u) on our team website after every single tournament. It actually has motivated a couple of the kids to put in some extra work on their own in order to improve. It also shows clearly the number of plate appearances , etc for each kid. Pretty easy and conclusive as to how much each kid has played.

Jun 24, 2013
When I was the HC I read the stats to all the Players at practice, there was no Internet. This new technology stuff confuses me.

I could be wrong but there are always a lot of surprises when you go through the stats and it did seemed to motivate the players, either trying to stay on top or working their way up.

I do not like stats, I am not sure if I would publish them.

Jan 24, 2011
When I was the HC I read the stats to all the Players at practice, there was no Internet. This new technology stuff confuses me.

I could be wrong but there are always a lot of surprises when you go through the stats and it did seemed to motivate the players, either trying to stay on top or working their way up.

I have found that it saves me a lot of BS from parents that have a clouded view of their DD's peformances and playing time

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon

So if it did motivate some to try and stay on top or the others to work their way up, why the statement, "I do not like stats"?

To me stats are a tool to use, of course they are only as good as the scorekeeper, however when a kid is hitting .125 it's a little hard to dispute. We have the stats where all can see them. If there is a question why little Suzi is sitting we can refer them to the website and look. Do we get wrapped up about stats...no, but IMO they are another tool to use.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
IMHO, stats are a very useful tool for the coaches as well as a motivator for the girls that truly want to play in a highly competitve environment. As Cyclone has said, it also saves the coaches a bunch of parental drama/complaining. As for publishing them, I publish the team stats but only in a private forum that the parents and players have access to. After all, if you're a TB team, you don't want everyone to know that your number 6 batter has 9 HR and bats .531 as an example.

Apr 1, 2010
I think publishing the stats frequently to all would be pretty depressing for kids who are having problems. When a girl isn't doing well, she knows it. Frankly, everyone knows it, but I think it would make it more painful to have it out there in black and white.

On the other hand, if people start complaining about positions and playing time, then heck yeah, the coach is perfectly right to post those stats.

Maybe post stats only every couple of months? After the season? Only to those who request them?

I do know that stats are valuable, but they don't tell the whole picture. There's no stat for an outfielder who always hustles to backup plays at the bag, for instance, but that can make or break a game.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I didn't publish stats when I was head coach for four seasons (10U + 12U). Our new team (14U) did post stats. I don't think it bothered any of the kids. I'm not aware that it caused any problems.

As am aside, I believe that arents are biased in their interpretation of stats. I've been guilty of that myself. My daughter used to never strike out and never get an extra-base hit. So I was staunchly in the, 'Put the ball in play, good things will happen' camp. Now, she strikes out a lot more, but gets a lot of extra-base hits. Now I lean toward the 'strikeout is just another out' camp. :) How a person values batting average, on-base average, put-in play average, slugging average, etc., often mirror their daughter's skills.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
IMHO, stats are a very useful tool for the coaches as well as a motivator for the girls that truly want to play in a highly competitve environment. As Cyclone has said, it also saves the coaches a bunch of parental drama/complaining. As for publishing them, I publish the team stats but only in a private forum that the parents and players have access to. After all, if you're a TB team, you don't want everyone to know that your number 6 batter has 9 HR and bats .531 as an example.

Question YOCOACH, does it matter if another team sees the stats? I ask because stats don't tell you that she hit 8 of the 9 HR's on inside pitches, or she hits the outside pitches for doubles in the Right/Center Gap. I find it interesting to see what others think about open stats. If the other team's strategy is to walk her every at bat... so be it.

Apr 1, 2010
Question YOCOACH, does it matter if another team sees the stats? I ask because stats don't tell you that she hit 8 of the 9 HR's on inside pitches, or she hits the outside pitches for doubles in the Right/Center Gap. I find it interesting to see what others think about open stats. If the other team's strategy is to walk her every at bat... so be it.

Gee, I think it matters. If YOCOACH's number 6 power hitter with the .531 average is up, with number 7 singles hitter at .215 on deck and the team really needs a big hit, you definitely don't want the other team knowing those stats. If they've played you before or scouted you, that's one thing, but why just hand them useful information without having any in return?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi