Posting Team Stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
There in lies the rub....as the official keeper of the book I do my best to be honest and fair about it. I note all FCs, ROEs but do cut slack on hard hit grounders that are not fielded cleanly. An example would be a shot up the middle that is deflected by the P due to self preservation. Often when parents keep track if a kid gets on base it's a hit.

It is understood parents stats will not match team stats. Personally, I like Slug percentage, OB%, and like even more RBI's and Runs Scored, because to me runs are what the game is about. Stats have uses, just be careful, because the young ball players will make more of them than they really are, and can divide a team with a bunch of girls comparing stats, instead of pulling together and trying to win ballgames.

Older players understand stats are a necessary, and important part of the game and have been around long enough to take for what they are worth. Yet still pull for the team ahead of the individual.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It is understood parents stats will not match team stats. Personally, I like Slug percentage, OB%, and like even more RBI's and Runs Scored, because to me runs are what the game is about. Stats have uses, just be careful, because the young ball players will make more of them than they really are, and can divide a team with a bunch of girls comparing stats, instead of pulling together and trying to win ballgames.

Older players understand stats are a necessary, and important part of the game and have been around long enough to take for what they are worth. Yet still pull for the team ahead of the individual.

I agree w/ everything you said except I differ in value that I give to runs and RBI just because I believe that they are affected so much by opportunity. If I have the best OBA on the team, but bat 7th ahead of two .200 hitters, I'm not going to score many runs. If I bat last, I'm not going to drive in many runs.

My favorite single stat is OPS - which is the sum of your favorites - on-base PCT + slugging PCT.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
We have a lead-off who hits .530 plus with only 4 rbi's on the season. She leads all categories yet never seems to have any one to move around. On the other hand, mine hits 4th and gets to punch the lead-off in frequently. I think the major stat categories do a better job reflecting the big picture of the game versus individual categories.

Dec 11, 2010
RBI's don't mean all that much, unless you take in to consideration place in the order and the obp of those ahead of you. That gets pretty subjective. Average doesn't mean all that much either to me. Its important because people pay attention to it but it has flaws. OBP, OPS and slugging tell you more IMHO.

After reading moneyball, I really enjoyed "baseball, Between The Numbers" that talks about statistics in a really entertaining format. I'm not a baseball geek and I am math challenged so I can tell you you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand better.

Problem with stats is you have to have someone keeping score that knows what they are doing. That is a bit of a process. It's worth it though. Performance stats will almost always have surprises, our perception of who is performing/not performing is not always accurate.

I'll add that if you make stats available to parents it will require some education. "Susie scored on that hit, you kept her from getting credit for a home run." "Susie got 8 hits out of ten times, her average is .800 not .153. You are trying to make your daughter look good and Susie will never get to play at Oklahoma now." "Susie stole 33 bases in that 8u B tournament in Backwatertown. Remember? Those catchers couldn't catch the ball, why is she not down for any stolen bases? I'll see you in the parking lot."

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
SC dad, similar deal to what you are talking about, one of my dd's found out she was hitting very well statistically and it was like she started protecting her numbers instead of focusing on making solid contact. Went into a little slump because of it I think. Kinda like when a kid goes up to the plate with the attitude that they are going to "not strike out" vs. "I'm going to hit a good pitch hard".

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Should a team post hitting, pitching and fielding stats for all to see?

For travel ball we never posted running stats on our web page, we would post "team" stats at the end of the season. If it were me and you're a really competitive team.........I wouldn't post them on the web. For years and still to this day, I'd search the web for any statistical information about opponents that I could find. I may not get the whole "story", but I'll at least get the Cliff Note version. you'd be surprised at how many coaches do background checks on opponents.

( At one time we considered "stacking" our team stats online. Giving our best hitters/RBI/base stealers/fielders/pitchers............very meager stats to throw "trollers" off. But we decided against it due to the girl's future career for obvious reasons. )

DD's freshman year the HS posted running stats all season for the girls, it was disaster. Parents of "lesser players" complained constantly about hits, errors, passed balls, wild pitches, etc. From then on, coach would email or print off individual stats for those players who asked.

Two long story's short, I'd probably just email stats on a scheduled basis to the individual parents. Then if parents want to share the info among themselves.........it's on them.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Websites like MaxPreps that allow coaches to put stats online has made for an interesting dilemma for coaches.

I don't know if this applies to softball, since this is not a sport that is as heavily covered in the media, but I can tell you that for football, coaches who put their stats online are increasing exposure for their players. Sports writers love stats, and it's much easier now for them to write things like ''Jim Davis leads the team in sacks with eight'' than it used to be.

On the flipside, you have coaches who don't want other teams knowing their run/pass ratio or which players are making the tackles.

It will be interesting to see which way the trend goes.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Although I love stats, DD has never been interested in hers during HS & TB (emailed out at season end) or college (updated daily). She says she knows whether the team won or lost, whether she's hitting the ball hard or not, and what the coaches want her to work on. She plays, works hard to improve, and is happy so I don't see any value in trying to counter her logic.

Jun 24, 2013
DD has an unbelieve on base percentage leading off, runners on base not so much. She has been changing as a hitter this year. Weak ground balls that she will beat out have become hard ground balls that she is thrown out. I do not like stats.

Dec 11, 2010
GM, She has the right attitude!

Stats should be password protected to control access, I see where competition could use it against your team.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG