HS Stat Tracking

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
HS stats are a joke. I have seen teams in my DD’s conference (including my DD’s) end up a 30 plus game season with less than 5 ROE’s for the whole team. This is a really weak conference with only a couple decent teams. Lots and lots and lots of errors are made in any given game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In HS, my DD had 11 ROE in 84 PA's. I'd say we need a new scorekeeper, but it's DW.

I like her club scorekeeper. He gave her a double when she advanced to 2nd on the throw.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Our town gave someone a double when the right fielder dropped the ball and then overthrew first.
And more recently a HR with 3 rbi on an infield hit when the SS overthrew second and proceeded to throw the ball around until there were no runners left.
Seems to get the norm for HS teams in my area especially since most have a bench player keep the book.

All of this is why I don't use GameChanger and I keep the book myself. On tough calls, I'll occasionally ask an assistant coach or a parent who is also an AC for our baseball team what they think.

I'd teach the girls how to do it, but I know I'd just end up correcting a dozen or more mistakes every game anyway.

May 27, 2022
In a game from last night (summer league, HS level), the person doing GameChanger for the other team had us with 10 hits. We had 13, and I can't think of a single one of those that could've been called an error (or a fielder's choice) if the person was scoring the game properly.

Probably scored by the Pitcher's mom/dad! :rolleyes:

May 27, 2022
Our town gave someone a double when the right fielder dropped the ball and then overthrew first.
And more recently a HR with 3 rbi on an infield hit when the SS overthrew second and proceeded to throw the ball around until there were no runners left.
Seems to get the norm for HS teams in my area especially since most have a bench player keep the book.

Then it is up to the integrity of the coach and/or scorekeeper. I know some coaches that only and always scores errors if the ball touches the glove (can be wrong in both directions).

I'm anal about it and read the NCCA Scorekeeper document a couple times a year to refresh my memory. Even last night, had a good hit that our runner ran into the ball between 1st and 2nd. I originally scored it a Fielder's Choice, BUT went back to the rulebook and it clearly states to score it a hit (I had confused that scoring with interference). So I went back and fixed iScore and informed the coaches.

Unfortunately, I think the vast majority of scorekeepers don't care to that level.

But, I'd rather have something to compare against even if it isn't correct to the nth degree than nothing at all.

May 27, 2022
All of this is why I don't use GameChanger and I keep the book myself. On tough calls, I'll occasionally ask an assistant coach or a parent who is also an AC for our baseball team what they think.

I'd teach the girls how to do it, but I know I'd just end up correcting a dozen or more mistakes every game anyway.

If you keep the book yourself, you can just as easily run GameChanger. I've done it while being a 3rd base coach - not ideal, but not too hard to do both.

May 27, 2022
I wouldn't support that rule.

IMO, a player's individual stats are the business of her team and the coach and not the public's unless the coach chooses otherwise. I realize there's no harm in most of it, but I'd want the coach or school to have that discretion as to whether they want those stats to be provided for public amusement. It's not college athletes playing to market a university but high school athletes getting an education through an extracurricular activity. I don't think the high school association should be the one deciding whether reporting Sally's batting average is an extension of that education.

That's an interesting take. I can appreciate that. I guess this system has been in place since my kids were involved and maybe I've taken it for granted.

Personally, I am glad they do. My daughter also throws shot put and it was interesting to see how her throws compared to others in her conference, district, or class. As an off-season coach, I like to see how our team's batting average ranks in our conference with conference only stats for each team. You compare BA and the WHIP for each team, you get a feel for strengths and weaknesses across your rivals.

Jun 20, 2015
my favorite that i personally witness was the 3b had 5 throwing errors in a game. I mean the ball wasn't even remotely catchable by her 6' tall 1b. Official stats for that game, she was credited with 1.

Or the 1b that was camped under 2 different foul pops, both hit her glove, both were dropped....no errors credited.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
That's an interesting take. I can appreciate that. I guess this system has been in place since my kids were involved and maybe I've taken it for granted.

Personally, I am glad they do. My daughter also throws shot put and it was interesting to see how her throws compared to others in her conference, district, or class. As an off-season coach, I like to see how our team's batting average ranks in our conference with conference only stats for each team. You compare BA and the WHIP for each team, you get a feel for strengths and weaknesses across your rivals.

I don't mean that I wouldn't enjoy it as a fan, just as you are doing. I just don't think the high school association should be mandating it. What's in the best interest of a high school student should be left to local school, not the state association that runs sports, IMO. That's all.

May 27, 2022
my favorite that i personally witness was the 3b had 5 throwing errors in a game. I mean the ball wasn't even remotely catchable by her 6' tall 1b. Official stats for that game, she was credited with 1.

Or the 1b that was camped under 2 different foul pops, both hit her glove, both were dropped....no errors credited.

The foul pops is interesting. IMO, the standard scoring would say if it foul, no error because no-one advanced on the bases, BUT more nuanced bookkeepers know you can have an error on that.

May 27, 2022
I don't mean that I wouldn't enjoy it as a fan, just as you are doing. I just don't think the high school association should be mandating it. What's in the best interest of a high school student should be left to local school, not the state association that runs sports, IMO. That's all.

To be fair, the HS Assn's already mandate a lot of stuff that affects players and their experiences.

I know that Bound (who runs the site for Iowa) is working to expand into additional sites/leagues. I think they are already doing Nebrasaka as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06