players looking for a team and stats included

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 20, 2015
Question for all- How much weight do you put behind a message board post for a player looking for a new team? Is dishonesty in the post an instant 'hard pass"?

Example; player says she's played 2 years varsity - only 1 season of HS stats. Ad says multiple HR's - stats = 1. Says Batting Avg is ".400+", HS indicates .333,
claims "experienced pitcher" - HS has career pitching stat line as 1 2/3rd inning, with high ERA.

Just boggles my mind and makes me shake my head. sad, sad, sad.

Jun 20, 2015
just read a thread on a board, and the poster statements do not reflect reality. Do you as a coach immediately not pursue said player due to facts not being accurate in said post???

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is too much information floating around about players, some gossip,
some lies, some truth.
Could be what your eyes read.
Could be what your ears hear.
Good possibility for any player if you poked around in their social media stuff would find other things concerning.

It is a hard task to decipher the difference between parents who may be purposely disruptive versus parent goggles that are simply misinterpreting their perspective of their own daughter.

Like-wise, There are numerous posts travel coaches make to pick up players for their teams talking about their Elite Gold status when really they are just an average team. Players have to go to tryouts to find out for themselves.
See this as same situation.

IF your post is about wanting to pick up a player?...
That's what tryouts are for.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
There is too much information floating around about players, some gossip,
some lies, some truth.
Could be what your eyes read.
Could be what your ears hear.
Good possibility for any player if you poked around in their social media stuff would find other things concerning.

It is a hard task to decipher the difference between parents who may be purposely disruptive versus parent goggles that are simply misinterpreting their perspective of their own daughter.

IF your post about wanting to pick up a player?...
That's what tryouts are for.
Let make this easy for you. If you know for a fact that a parent is lying what do you do?

(For the sake of argument, put aside for the moment whether or not you believe that somebody can really know that for sure...)

Personally I don't take the kid (if I know for a fact the parent lied) BUT since it probably isn't the kid's fault I confront the parent and tell them that they are hurting their kid by doing this so clean up your act..

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Let make this easy for you.
Lol, already have dealt with this silliness so many times this is my direct answer.

If you know for a fact that a parent is lying what do you do?
Parents are either a deal breaker or you can reflect on the player's abilities.
Hope that makes it easy for you 🤷‍♀️
LOL maybe that's harder for you cuz you have a choice now.

I read this post recognizing that there's a lot of different junk players/coaches /families have to sift through to interpret softball stuff.
Similarly Travel coaches often when posting/speaking about their own teams Gold Elite status when they are really just average. Players families have to go see to interpret for themselves also.

That is why I commented
*if the post is really about wanting to pick up the player that's what tryouts are for.

Aug 5, 2022
Not everything gets into high school stats. We had a glitch this year and 3 games didn’t go in properly so as far as the world knows my kid hit 3 less homeruns and batted 25pts lower than she actually did. Now we’re also on game changer so those can be seen there that aren’t in max preps but BA is often crap in and crap out. If our score keeper kept BA like the NCAA my kid would bat 500 every year but ours is a if you dove for it and touched it it’s an error. Really screws our kids when it comes to all state and other honors when other coaches are like if you hit it and got on it’s a hit…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles