Posting Team Stats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
I think publishing the stats frequently to all would be pretty depressing for kids who are having problems. When a girl isn't doing well, she knows it. Frankly, everyone knows it, but I think it would make it more painful to have it out there in black and white.

On the other hand, if people start complaining about positions and playing time, then heck yeah, the coach is perfectly right to post those stats.

Maybe post stats only every couple of months? After the season? Only to those who request them?

I do know that stats are valuable, but they don't tell the whole picture. There's no stat for an outfielder who always hustles to backup plays at the bag, for instance, but that can make or break a game.

But , on the flip side. Once that girl that is struggling has a good weekend , it is uplifting for her to take a look and see an improvement in the numbers and sometimes can spark a turnaround

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Question YOCOACH, does it matter if another team sees the stats? I ask because stats don't tell you that she hit 8 of the 9 HR's on inside pitches, or she hits the outside pitches for doubles in the Right/Center Gap. I find it interesting to see what others think about open stats. If the other team's strategy is to walk her every at bat... so be it.

Again, JMHO but I would prefer no one outside of the team actually know the stats unless it was a recruiting opportunity for a player from a college coach/scout. You are right in saying the stats don't tell you where not to pitch them or various other details. However, there was a tournament this year in which I used our first 4 fastest batters in the 1-4 positions in which 2 had our best OBPS and the other 2 not so much. Then 5-6 were my worst BA% and 7-10 were the sluggers. It was a tourney that meant nothing, was pool play and gave the girls normally at the bottom of the order a confidence boost. So my point is, why would I give another team the knowledge that 7-10 were girls they wanted to walk intentionally beforehand? Let them figure it out as they come up to bat. After all, as many people have said before, knowledge is power and forewarned is fore-armed.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010

But , on the flip side. Once that girl that is struggling has a good weekend , it is uplifting for her to take a look and see an improvement in the numbers and sometimes can spark a turnaround

That's a good thought. I guess I'll just accept whatever my daughter's coaches decide to do and concentrate on the positives in it. That's pretty much become my approach for everything softball... I believe this site has been a good influence. LOL.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Once in HS it seems the stats get posted on Maxpreps or by the local paper so I see no issue posting them then. I keep our electronic and paper book but do not share the stats with the parents at the request of the coach. I'll give the a basic BA when the season is over.

Personally I prefer to look at OBP, Quality at bats, hitting with runners in scoring, number of bases and most importantly, Runs. If you can get home when the opportunity presents itself you will be in the top of the order. I love the suicide squeeze.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I did not post 10U and 12U stats. I do post them now. It keeps a lot of arguments at bay from parents as to why their little Suzy is not batting in the 3 hole or playing SS. They can see hitting, pitching and fielding stats. I use them as a tool to help me put the kids in the best possible positions to help the team.

A short story. A couple of years ago, I told my DD that she was doing good at the plate. She was hitting .490. She looked at me and asked, "What's that mean?" I told her that for every 10 at bats, she was getting 4.9 hits. She then looks at me and said, "that's not very good. I'm only getting hits about half of the time." :)

Jul 2, 2013
Stats can be counter productive to younger kids and parents, many times creating divisions among the team. While learning the game it is more about technique, and improving in the areas needed. I don't advise. Keep your own kids stats as I always have.

In High School, our team shows each player their individual stats, but not the whole teams. Only at the end of the season does a full listing of statistics given for the whole team. For ultimately that is what college recruiters get to see, and a need to know information. But during the season, it is more about the TEAM than any individual.

The high level travel teams 16U and 18U keep and post stats ongoing. But then for the most part, high level travel sometimes become about the individual, and college recruiting, than the team itself. So there is a good purpose.

In college, stats are always public. It is an age thing, and what type of team. Young teams 8U, 10U, 12U, and 14U, trying to win championships, should think twice about publishing stats.

Besides, every parent can keep their own players stats to keep track, without the need to divide a team with the one up-man-ship which often happens at the younger softball ages (both player and parent).

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We keep stats using Game Changer, but only the coaching staff has access to the information. We will share a players stats with the family if they request it.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Besides, every parent can keep their own players stats to keep track.

There in lies the rub....as the official keeper of the book I do my best to be honest and fair about it. I note all FCs, ROEs but do cut slack on hard hit grounders that are not fielded cleanly. An example would be a shot up the middle that is deflected by the P due to self preservation. Often when parents keep track if a kid gets on base it's a hit.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Right now, only the other coaches have access to the stats. I have talked to the coaches about whether to publish the stats and I have had mixed feelings. It is first year 14U team and there. Thankfully there are a lot of emotionally mature young ladies on the team and the parents are quite rational. Still I am concerned about the players on the bottom half.

I have made my best effort to consistently apply the NCAA scoring rules. The stats are as unbiased as I am capable to make them.

Considering the above responses, next year I will publish them each week. In retrospect, they deserve to see the current stats.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1