players looking for a team and stats included

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
I’d be more interested to find out what the player has done on previous travel teams re: teams played, stats, etc. Granted I know the stats won’t be perfect depending on who kept them - but maybe just knowing teams they played and where player batted in lineup or who they pitched against might help you gauge level of play a little better.

I take all HS stats with a grain of salt. Like angispeds mentioned, if it’s Maxpreps it probably doesn’t paint the whole picture.

That all being said - I’d proceed with caution. Way too easy for people to portray someone they’re not on SM.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Did they reach out to you or just posting looking for a team?
Question for all- How much weight do you put behind a message board post for a player looking for a new team? Is dishonesty in the post an instant 'hard pass"?

Example; player says she's played 2 years varsity - only 1 season of HS stats. Ad says multiple HR's - stats = 1. Says Batting Avg is ".400+", HS indicates .333,
claims "experienced pitcher" - HS has career pitching stat line as 1 2/3rd inning, with high ERA.

Just boggles my mind and makes me shake my head. sad, sad, sad.
Do you have any knowledge of this player? Do you need this player? I wouldn't pursue this player if they are posting on a board. If they reached out specifically to the team, I would consider if I knew who she played for previously. Does her previous teams match what your team is looking for? The parents should be reaching out to teams directly rather than a random post. Sounds like they don't have much knowledge of the TB tryout process.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Shitster....

Lying about statistics is not the worst thing parents can add to the dynamic of a team.
Mr. Attar good job being such a great example!
Wanted to comment the reason that I said this is because we know that
Mr. Attar does purposely stir the pot here on dfp. As he self-proclaims his doing so.
Would like to add, toward his self-awareness, he has commented previously several times *elsewhere on dfp that while at his daughter's games he will tend to sit in the car.

🙂LOL possibly he removes himself from his daughter's environment while he utilizes his keyboard to get out his aggravations here on dfp LOL.
➡️Seriously commenting this because I did not want to portray Mr. Attar as a person who is stirring the pot at his daughter team.

That said, as an example,
some self-awareness of parents can go a long way.

But sometimes people are doing things without recognizing they might be stirring the pot unintentionally.
They may not recognize what they posted is incorrect or came off as being showboating, mean Etc.

To the OP's question, would you consider the player?
My comment is to do a meet and greet with the family at a tryout and have a first impression observation to consider the player. Would not use statistics for or against the player in travel ball. Too many unknowns involved.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Wanted to comment the reason that I said this is because we know that
Mr. Attar does purposely stir the pot here on dfp. As he self-proclaims his doing so.
Would like to add, toward his self-awareness, he has commented previously several times *elsewhere on dfp that while at his daughter's games he will tend to sit in the car.

🙂LOL possibly he removes himself from his daughter's environment while he utilizes his keyboard to get out his aggravations here on dfp LOL.
➡️Seriously commenting this because I did not want to portray Mr. Attar as a person who is stirring the pot at his daughter team.
Thanks…I think?? I have caused my fair share of issues with her team and org but they are atypical parent sh*% stirring..

Oh and it’s Dr. Attar..😜 (actually I like shitster better 😂)

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Thanks…I think?? I have caused my fair share of issues with her team and org but they are atypical parent sh*% stirring..

Oh and it’s Dr. Attar..😜 (actually I like shitster better 😂)
Yes compliment to your self-awareness!

👍 oops Dr.!

Oct 4, 2018
Let make this easy for you. If you know for a fact that a parent is lying what do you do?

(For the sake of argument, put aside for the moment whether or not you believe that somebody can really know that for sure...)

Personally I don't take the kid (if I know for a fact the parent lied) BUT since it probably isn't the kid's fault I confront the parent and tell them that they are hurting their kid by doing this so clean up your act..

Yeah, it's a tough one. Hate faulting the kid for this, but at the same time that parent certainly doesn't sound like one that will mesh with the team. I give them 2 and a half strikes. If their tryout is particularly good and the parent is more mellow in person, I'd probably take them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles