Playing dirty? Totally fair?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
for added consequence, in many tournaments that we play, the Rules state that if a coach and/or player are ejected in a game,
they are also ineligible to participate in the next scheduled game, as well.

Mar 1, 2013
Thanks for replying. For my frame of reference, are you an umpire? Not trying to be rude, just wondering.

I'm not sure that I agree with this. I can think of multiple times when a runner does not have the right to any path she chooses to advance. And I guess that's the basis of why I'd call it interference on the BR. IMO, which very well may be wrong thus my reason for asking umps, this is one of those. When there is a force play being made at 1st base, she is protected running through the bag, not rounding it to advance. It's muddy here because its clear on the video, that the runner will be safe. So then, I would assume that it becomes a judgment call on the part of the umpire.

I do agree that she should not be awarded 2nd here, even if it was obstruction.

Yes, I am an umpire. And there is no case for interference to be made here as much as we want to call the batter-runner out. What is she interfering with? What play is being made?

FWIW, I can see the argument for ejecting the coach as well, but realistically, the coach will end up ejecting himself once he comes out to defend his runner's actions.

Feb 17, 2014
Yes, I am an umpire. And there is no case for interference to be made here as much as we want to call the batter-runner out. What is she interfering with? What play is being made?

FWIW, I can see the argument for ejecting the coach as well, but realistically, the coach will end up ejecting himself once he comes out to defend his runner's actions.

You don't think the runner interfered with the play? The RF is throwing the ball to 1B. 1B can't catch the ball because she's just been blown up by the runner, who gets to 3rd because of it.

I ask because I don't know the rules for this situation.

Jun 12, 2015
You don't think the runner interfered with the play? The RF is throwing the ball to 1B. 1B can't catch the ball because she's just been blown up by the runner, who gets to 3rd because of it.

That's what I was wondering about as well. 1B rarely misses a catchable ball. Had she not been knocked to the ground she'd have caught the ball from RF and held the batter at 1B.

Dec 22, 2012

In answer to your question here, imagine there is a play at the plate. Catcher cannot block home plate (or obstruct the runner from scoring) unless she has the ball. If the ball is being thrown from CF and it's halfway there, she can't just block . Point is, it's not an adequate argument that she would have caught the ball.

Eddieq, thanks for your perspective. Not sure that I agree with you, but I do appreciate your umpire's perspective, and definitely agree that coach would have gotten himself tossed.

What play is being made? The RF is trying to throw the girl out at first. Her head is down fielding the ball and she comes up throwing. SHe doesn't know she's late. She's just making the play. We know that the play wouldn't have been an out, but that's not required in my opinion for it to be interference.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
I don't think any umpires have a leg to stand on for ejecting her for actually running the bases. Your only case is for sportsmanship or maliciousness which is fine that is a judgement call but don't tell me you are ejecting her trying to run to second when you did not think she had a chance to make it...I'm pretty sure that is not going to stand up to any kind of scrutiny

May 11, 2014
showed the gif to 8 people today, one was my wife, four softball umpires(ranging from head of the local high school association to rec. ball ump), 1 basketball referee, and three other people, 4 women and 4 men.
2 votes for dirty play-basketball ref-male and one other person- female
6 votes for hard but fair play-all four umpires without hesitation called obstruction and could not find any reason for an ejection of the player(all four actually laughed when i said the majority here believe an ejection was warranted. the association head actually used some very disparaging remarks for the people who thought she should have been ejected. to be honest i was surprised at the disparity of votes(i thought maybe 50/50)
not trying to cause a ruckus just thought it was interesting

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
showed the gif to 8 people today, one was my wife, four softball umpires(ranging from head of the local high school association to rec. ball ump), 1 basketball referee, and three other people, 4 women and 4 men.
6 votes for hard but fair play-all four umpires without hesitation called obstruction and could not find any reason for an ejection of the player(all four actually laughed when i said the majority here believe an ejection was warranted. the association head actually used some very disparaging remarks for the people who thought she should have been ejected. to be honest i was surprised at the disparity of votes(i thought maybe 50/50)

tumblr_o9ghboyRcc1usf292o1_500.gif

I call...

Again I call....

showed the gif to 8 people today,
one was my wife,
four softball umpires
1 basketball referee
and three other people,

I count 9 what did the other person say.....
I call....
the association head actually used some very disparaging remarks for the people who thought she should have been ejected
I would have some 'disparaging' remarks for the coach if this was my DD.
I'm taking this is your Granddaughter. Maybe you need to have a discussion with her about sportsmanship.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

I did even better showing it to an Irish Setter, 2 Flying Squirrels, a Pirate, a hula dancer with no legs named Bubba, and a school teacher who showed me how to use a shift key. They were a mix of men, women, cisgender, and transgender although 1 flying squirrel refused to self identify. They all said she should have been tossed except the pirate who wanted her keel hauled. So as you can see I came up with a much more interesting, diverse, and fun group than you did which was every bit as relevant.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Let's look at the gif again.
tumblr_o9m2bphBaL1usf292o1_400.gif

Were these 8 (really 9 but,I'm guessing his soon to be ex wife don't/doesn't count) sober.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877