Playing dirty? Totally fair?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
you got me on the count, i was thinking work only. i have tried to see both sides and not be disparaging towards either side(probably could have done better). do i know this girl, nope, dont know her from eve, but i think to call a 10 or 11yr old "child" names is wrong. rdbass, what can i say, you just a freaking DA.

Oct 3, 2009
showed the gif to 8 people today, one was my wife, four softball umpires(ranging from head of the local high school association to rec. ball ump), 1 basketball referee, and three other people, 4 women and 4 men.
2 votes for dirty play-basketball ref-male and one other person- female
6 votes for hard but fair play-all four umpires without hesitation called obstruction and could not find any reason for an ejection of the player(all four actually laughed when i said the majority here believe an ejection was warranted. the association head actually used some very disparaging remarks for the people who thought she should have been ejected. to be honest i was surprised at the disparity of votes(i thought maybe 50/50)
not trying to cause a ruckus just thought it was interesting
This takes the cake for the dumbest post of 2016. Congrats. I showed the gif today to 8 people including the head of concessions at a local park and she is very well known for her corn dogs. She thought it was a dirty play. Case closed. Oh wait I just used your same moronic logic, my bad.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
I showed it to my Uncle Tony and my grandfather, Moonie, while enjoying a nice glass of Valpolicella.....they both said. "TeeJ....Don't mess with the family"

Nov 18, 2013
I figure a hit that would lead to an ejection in football or hockey is likely to have the same outcome on a softball field.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So your solution is to teach girls that if someone is standing between you and the base to CHECK UP....well you can toss my players out and send me to the parking lot but the is not how the game is played.

Actually, that is exactly how the game is to be played. That is why there is a rule for obstruction. Softball isn't supposed to be a contact sport. You want to play like that, I would suggest lacrosse (preferably in the box) or rugby.

And not only will you and your player be in the parking lot, but I will make sure the injured girl's coach and parents have all my information if they need a witness for any legal action. And for all the rose-colored glasses folks, I do not consider that an extreme reaction especially the way discipline and respect are not so slowly disappearing with each generation.

As posted earlier the correct way to teach base running is that girls need to take a direct path to the base and NOT avoid contact...this ain't an obstacle course. and to [MENTION=2269]rdbass[/MENTION] the reason the player rounds the base in an arc is two fold 1. it puts you on a straighter path to second 2. if she truly hit the bag the way she should have been taught inside corner she would have stepped on the 1B foot since that is where she was standing.

Then I assume you would instruct your catcher to do the same when throwing a ball to a base, if the batter is in the way, just drill her and teach her a lesson.

There is no excuse for unnecessary violence, assuming that there is a reason for any violence whatsoever.

I'm not saying all parties are innocent here or even that I would teach this but this whole situation stems from the first baseman not knowing where and how to play her position. If its in the infield step up, if you really think there is a play from RF position yourself on the outfield side probably far corner and stretch giving the runner the inside of the bag.

On a routine play yes the coach is a jerk for sending her to second but don't blame the player. I still don't understand why we did not have 20 pages when the Auburn player plowed into someone and got this exact same call, everyone just chalked it up to yeah a little cheap shot but the 1B should know better.

I must have missed that play, but I find it strange you are comparing the knowledge, skill and execution of 10U players to those playing in college.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
I'm throwing in the towel on this thread.

As I've said I don't support these tactics or condone them, the girl was overzealous in her execution of something that was completely legal. Just to be clear you would award her 2B before tossing her right?

[MENTION=423]MTR[/MENTION] No need to get on your high horse it is your fellow umps that help cause this (rap since they either don't know or are unwilling to enforce the obs rule without contact...and don't even pretend to give me any BS about how they do everyone on this board can attest that without contact your chances of an obs call or very close to nil.

and maybe a fellow member has the Auburn game still recorded but there was a zero uproar and a two page thread that said "oh well kinda classless but still the right call"

Please continue portray this girl as the devil incarnate worthy of prison time if that is what is going to make everyone here feel better.....out

Jun 12, 2015

As I've said I don't support these tactics or condone them, the girl was overzealous in her execution of something that was completely legal. Just to be clear you would award her 2B before tossing her right?

[MENTION=423]MTR[/MENTION] No need to get on your high horse it is your fellow umps that help cause this (rap since they either don't know or are unwilling to enforce the obs rule without contact...and don't even pretend to give me any BS about how they do everyone on this board can attest that without contact your chances of an obs call or very close to nil.

and maybe a fellow member has the Auburn game still recorded but there was a zero uproar and a two page thread that said "oh well kinda classless but still the right call"

Please continue portray this girl as the devil incarnate worthy of prison time if that is what is going to make everyone here feel better.....out

Technically the thread was pretty much done, no new posts in 3 days, so you could've just let it die...just sayin'.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Not if I didn't feel she would have made it to 2nd base safely.

Sorry to hear the umpires in your area are either poorly trained or just don't care to enforce the rules properly, any umpire I trained or with whom I have worked will call OBS at the drop of the hat if warranted and contact is the last thing on my/their minds.

What a stupid comment. I really feel so sorry for you democrats.

Aug 6, 2013
WTDnnwE.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi