Plate hitting position opinions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Plate hitting position

• Total voters
Jun 8, 2016
I respectfully disagree with the bold statement above. If the pitcher could pitch from second base then timing would be much easier and no one should be fooled by offspeed because you have so long to see the ball. You have eliminated the need to be quick and have given yourself plenty of time to recognize the pitch. The closer the distance the harder it becomes to wait on offspeed because you are now under pressure to be quick.

Similarly, the harder a pitcher throws the less difference in pitch speed they need between their fastball and change up to be effective.

When softball went from 40 feet to 43 feet offence dramatically increased because of the extra time the hitter now had.

When I watched the women’s College World Series I did not see pitchers dominating with these magical pitches that nip the corners and break way off the plate. I did however see pitchers blowing gas by hitters. I know you hate comparisons to baseball, but there is a reason you will never find them at the front of the box.
The velocity doesn't matter crowd makes me laugh (not that you are saying that @RADcatcher ), or for this discussion, reaction time. There is a reason that after he hurt his arm Pedro went from an all-timer to just a good pitcher..it wasn't because he forgot how to pitch.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55