Plate hitting position opinions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Plate hitting position

• Total voters
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
What pitch is being thrown? Are runners on base?... I do not see a right answer. If I have speed on 1st and the pitcher is throwing drops I want them in the hitter in the back of the box. If nobody on I may prefer they move up. Lots of factors to take into consideration.

Most important I want the hitter in their comfort zone. I often see coaches forcing a hitter to the front/back of the box based on their own infinite wisdom. Even through in the thousands of swings in practice the kid has never come off a neutral position. As a pitching coach I want the hitter out of their comfort zone. Big shout out to all of the coaches who make that happen before the pitch is even thrown. :)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
To each their own.
Different bodies, brains and mechanics.
That and
Not all hits come off strikes.

Me hitting,
Very front.
Back foot was in front of the plate.
Stood both feet about 5 inches
(Hands width)
off the inside line. Squared to the plate.

Reason simply said
'Have to throw it by me to get a strike.'

WOOHOO PITCH IT!
💪🫀

May 27, 2013
My did is a switch-hitter. Slaps from the left. Sets up even with the plate from both sides. Posted because there was no option.

Jan 28, 2017
To each their own.
Different bodies, brains and mechanics.
That and
Not all hits come off strikes.

Me hitting,
Very front.
Back foot was in front of the plate.
Stood both feet about 5 inches
(Hands width)
off the inside line. Squared to the plate.

Reason simply said
'Have to throw it by me to get a strike.'

WOOHOO PITCH IT!
💪🫀
Posted in the other thread about throwing backdoor curve balls to a hitter that moved that far up in the box. I'm limited in seeing batter move that far up and calling pitches. Afraid they will turn into an backdoor curve. Thoughts from your experience?

Oct 26, 2019
Back of the box. Time is your enemy. The longer you see the ball the better. A lot of bad hitters scoot up in the box because they can’t stay back on off speed. They use it like a crutch.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Posted in the other thread about throwing backdoor curve balls to a hitter that moved that far up in the box. I'm limited in seeing batter move that far up and calling pitches. Afraid they will turn into an backdoor curve. Thoughts from your experience?
Backdoor curve?
Are you saying the right-handed pitcher throwing to a right-handed batter.
so that the curve finishes its break as an inside pitch to the right-handed batter?

That would be the spin turning directly into the bats wheelhouse.
(Rotation sweet spot)
Then it's time for Rip City!
I think it's always best to consider the hitters mechanics. And the speed of pitch that's being chosen for a location.
Do that to me and the third baseman is going to get a bruise.

Back in the day where batters had to make an attempt to move out of the way of a pitch that might hit them not just awarded first base for standing there and getting hit by a pitch pitchers use the inside river a heck of a lot more than they do now. So we did have pitchers use effectivly inside locations. Especially rise balls under the chin. Then drops might take your knee out.

Pitcher Susan Lefevre was actually exceptional at inside curve. It looked like it was going to hit the batter and would move towards the plate. Her dad was Ron LeFevre pitching instructor in Southern California at the birth of Fastpitch here.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Backdoor curve?
Are you saying the right-handed pitcher throwing to a right-handed batter.
so that the curve finishes its break as an inside pitch to the right-handed batter?

That would be the spin turning directly into the bats wheelhouse.
(Rotation sweet spot)
Then it's time for Rip City!

Really would need to look at the pitch height upon going through the zone and what the Batters mechanics were before deciding a pitch like that. Do that to me and the third baseman is going to get a bruise.

Back in the day where batters had to make an attempt to move out of the way of a pitch that might hit them not just awarded first base for standing there and getting hit by a pitch pitchers use the inside river a heck of a lot more than they do now. So we did have pitchers use effectivly inside locations. Especially rise balls under the chin.

That Susan Lefevre was actually exceptional at inside curve. It looked like it was going to hit the batter and would move towards the plate. Her dad was Ron LeFevre pitching instructor in Southern California at the birth of Fastpitch here.
Yes talking about throwing it at the batter and then break over the inside corner. If you get it over the plate it gets hit hard. IMO, when thrown well it's tuff to hit in play hard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse