Pitching speeds

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2012
Well, let me rephrase my original question. So if a girl was only capable of throwing 12" ball 45mph, but could put a lot of spin on the ball and hit her spots she could be an effective 12U pitcher...right? Or if she could throw 55mph but with little spin, she could still be an effective pitcher...right? This kid is not going to have the size to be a college pitcher, but would like to play well in high school. Would you have her work to be a "junk ball pitcher", as she is probably going to be 5'4" or so but is pretty strong?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
It's hard to specifically answer your question without seeing her stuff. She's got to use her strengths and explore options for her toolbox. Develop as much speed as possible, while learning options for off-speed and changes. Find spins that fit her and develop them. If she can work on hitting 55 and throw some junk in the 45-50 range, then build on that.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Well, let me rephrase my original question. So if a girl was only capable of throwing 12" ball 45mph, but could put a lot of spin on the ball and hit her spots she could be an effective 12U pitcher...right? Or if she could throw 55mph but with little spin, she could still be an effective pitcher...right? This kid is not going to have the size to be a college pitcher, but would like to play well in high school. Would you have her work to be a "junk ball pitcher", as she is probably going to be 5'4" or so but is pretty strong?

Why put limits on her abilities at 12U?. She should be told that she can be the best possible pitcher SHE wants to be. You can't worry about things you have no control over (i.e. size) but she can control 100% her own effort, drive, and willingness to be the best pitcher. Lisa Fernandez is considered one of the best pitchers ever and she wasn't close to 6 feet tall.

Jan 24, 2012
I guess I am going at it the wrong way. I believed I was trying to find the optimum course of training for a girl of a certain size and strength. She does practice and has the desire to be good I am trying to be realistic. At this point I don't see her as being very tall but she might get to be really strong. So I guess we will keep working on the peel drop and change up and when she reaches 50mph we will work on a rise. Thanks guys. I kind of thought the thread got off track. It was interesting though. ZZZZZZ. Arguing whether a ball curves or looks like it curves, who cares if it gets em out. It's like picking apart the league leader in batting average and saying his swing is all wrong. I'm just looking for results.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes